“If you like real German food............”

Pumpernickel's Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
North East, Pennsylvania
“If you like real German food............”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Went there on a Thursday around 5:30 based on a recommendation from someone at the Sagamore.
The first thing you notice is that the restaurant is spotless.
The downstairs dining room had only one table filled when we arrived but the people began coming in around 6 and when we left the room was 2/3 full.
Service is outstanding, attentive but not overly so.
The menu is a nice mix of traditional German food and more standard (prime rib is one) options for those not interested in German cooking. But go for the German food.
There's a smallish but good salad and soup bar and a display case of wonderful, I think homemade, pastries and cakes for desert.
I had the weiner schnitzel with Spatzle dish which was quite good.
If you want to practice your German with the owners or staff, you can.
The great big cuckoo clock, supposed to be the largest in the U.S., was not working but it is quite a sight.
If you want real traditional German food and you are in the Bolton Landing vicinity of Lake George, you should go there.

• Visited June 2013

“Unexpected good review”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Invited here by friends. I was not keen - not a fan of German food. While I did not brave the true German classics the food I had was really tasty - Cajun salmon. My husband did try a classic and really enjoyed it. Waitress was great - really good with the youngest member of our party (5) and she kept coming back to check wine/ beer ok ( but not in a pushy or over bearing way). Finished with Black Forest cheesecake. Very good! The choice of white wine was limited - only one non domestic / non German on offer but it was Italian so that saved the day. Would I go back? Yes - I was pleasantly surprised

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Julesfox
Diamond Point, New York
“One of the best German restaurants I ever ate in”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Unbelievable German food. Great selection. I had veal which melted in my mouth. That is rare this day and age. Nice salad bar with soup included in the meal. Nice atmosphere with a giant coo coo clock. Waitress was very friendly. Only negative is we called for a reservation and they did not record it. Also owner appears to be a bit of a grouch.

Visited May 2013
Eldred, New York
“Felt like 2 cents”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I love to post positive reviews and usually do. I have decided to put this post up even though it was years ago since I visited this place. Liked my first visit not bad but my second felt so low. I come to Bolton Landing every year in early June for a traditional father son fishing trip. Best time in my life. Came to Pumpernickels during the week. Not a big scene, very quiet. I came with my parents extremely well kempt. Was about to order and the owner came over and was giving small talk and abruptly told me to take my cap off. He said he is the owner and thats how it is, walked away, once again very rude. I was shocked, never talked to that way. Always been a courteous patron, great tipper. My god I know it is rude to wear a hat at dinner but this is the Adirondacks, off season, Bolton Landing. Not Eleven Madison Park in NYC, not the Sagamore. Right after that, a group of 12 walked in, very sloppy wearing shorts. Nothing , no response. Dont have to go on. Owner rash rude to me in front of my family. Why I didn't walk out I dont know. Food Ok. Thats why 2 stars stays instead of zero. Salad bar(Log Jam and George's dominate) nothing special. Food ok. Wait staff fine. Wouldnt recommend to anyone but people seem to put food way above ownership and service. Understandable to the max but take every factor to a restaurant. This owner makes me want to open my own place.Why not??? If he can do it everyone can!!! Should have posted this awile back.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank GREGG1971
Cornwall, New York
“This place is amazing”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We love German food and this place is one of our favorites. We spend one week a year in Lake George and this is one of our "must go" places. The staff is always friendly, food is always great. The mayors platter is more than enough for 2 to share. I've never gotten anything I did not love.

• Visited June 2012