“Great reliable service”

FR Smith & Sons Marina
More attraction details
Owner description: FR Smith & Sons is celebrating its' 96th year in business! We are the oldest marina on Lake George to be owned and operated by the same family. We offer boat rentals, canoe & kayak rentals, marine service, boat sales, water taxi, and we have a well stocked marine store. Check out our antique boat charters! A fabulous way to experience the lake - chartering for weddings and special occasions! We have the nicest rental boats on Lake George. Brand new Bryant 21' I/Os; EbbTide and Larson Outboards, and Avalon Pontoons! Rent from us, you will not be disappointed!
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Smith's has been servicing and storing our boat for ten years. They have been efficient, reliable and I highly recommend them.

1  Thank holttimj
"ny"
"firewood"
"camping"

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hi my name is Mark and I have been using F.R. Smith and Sons now for nearly 20 years as a Diver with a Boat. Some years I have stored it up there over the winters. I can say firsthand that Scott the Manager is always trying to help us and Scott in the Parts Department has an exceptional and positive, winning attitude. In addition Adam the Service Manager always gives us several options on repairs which we truly appreciate.

Now as the head of a nonprofit Divers Association in NJ that goes on trips to Lake George I recommend them to everyone. I look forward to seeing everyone in a few days!

Best,
Mark R. McNulty
Founder, Hire Divers Association

3  Thank HDA08809
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We come to Bolton Landing every year and rent a boat for a week, and someone recommended FR Smith and we're so glad we used them! Their boats are unbelievably clean and in great shape. They accommodated us with a rental for 6 people even when they were booked solid.. We've been back and their prices are better than other marinas we compared them to. Sue the manager is very professional and we will continue to use them every time we visit...

2  Thank Liz M
Reviewed August 13, 2013

FR Smith and Sons came recommended to us by our hotel in Lake George and we didn't hesitate to make it our choice seeing that the prices seemed reasonable and figuring that the lake area around Bolton Landing would be quieter than closer to Lake George Village. The staff was friendly, informative, and processed us quickly. Being that we arrived a little before 11AM, there was one boat left, a 70hp which happened to be the perfect size and power for me and my girlfriend to cruise around the lake on. Unfortunately since it was the last boat, we were told that it was one of the older ones in their fleet...we were told that the dashboard compartment was glued shut so we were unable to have a dry place to keep the things we didn't want to get wet; when I asked how to close the canopy we were told that it was complicated and prone to malfunction so it was recommended that we not touch it; and the hull compartment in which the anchor and its rope was kept was filthy as they were partially submerged in dirty water littered with old bits of food and trash, so wasn't fun taking that anchor out even after we drained most of the water.

After a detailed check of the boat by an employee, we were on our way. The boat ran perfectly and we had a great few hours on the water. The return process was equally painless with a quick re-fill of gas, a re-checking of the boat, and a return of the deposit.

As long as the prices stay reasonable, I plan on checking out FR Smith and Sons on my next trip to Lake George and will get there earlier so that I can hopefully get a better, cleaner boat for a full day.

2  Thank Nicholas B
gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for the review we are very happy that you had an enjoyable time on Lake George!

We will definitely take more care to be sure the anchor storage compartment is cleaned out - we apologize for the unpleasantness.

We will look into the canopy - it has been a difficult thing to manage - it seems simple! but it can be a source of constant frustration and repair.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity and for providing useful feedback!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Absolutely the worst marina to rent from in the area. Extremely unprofessional, and way over priced. I rented a boat 4 days prior to the date i was going up to bolton and there was an emergency that lead to me to have to cancel. They would not refund me my deposit, ($500) there is NOTHING in their contract stating this...the deposit is for damages if any are made that is to be retuned. I called numerous times to talk with the Manager Scott Anderson and they hung up on me. The woman Sue is over the top rude....she had an unbelievable attitude. I had to take it as far as calling a lawyer....they hung up on them as well. The people behind the counter are nasty, unprofessional, irrational and a disgrace for the town of Bolton. I would NEVER EVER recommend this marina to anyone. I would tell you to go on down to the many others like Chic's or Yankee to name a few...they are sooooo friendly and understanding. Do your self a favor and don't even bother looking towards them for business. I wouldn't even pull in to get gas from them...their prices are over 40% higher than anyone on the lake! Your on vacation....stay away from these scam artists.

1  Thank Nicole M
gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Let me explain the real story here - 3 young ladies reserved a rental boat for 3 days. It was explained to them over the phone and while two were present at the rental desk that under no circumstances can our boats be used to go to Log Bay Day (Log Bay Day is held the last Monday of July every year. It is an out of control all day drinking party. It is heavily patrolled by police and many, many tickets are issued). It is our marina policy NOT to rent boats on that day for a single day use. If customers request multiple day rentals that include that day they are given the same information - DO NOT GO TO LOG BAY under any circumstances.

Sue, our rental manager, explained this on the phone and the again in person when they were completing the paper work. One girl eagerly signed all documents including a special document titled "Log Bay Day Disclosure Statement". This document includes this very clear statement: "I understand that participating in any events connected with Log Bay Day will be considered reckless and unsafe and will result in the cancellation of the rental with NO refund."

During the check out process one of my staff overheard one of the girls stating that 'her father was so mad at her for spending so much money to go to Log Bay Day'. At that point, he reported the conversation to our rental manager who immediately cancelled their rental contract.
She stated that she would have to speak to the General Manager about refunding the deposit.

Since that time we have received several very unfriendly, demanding and very loud phone calls. I have since instructed my employees to not engage in conversation with anyone who yells.

Had someone asked to see the documents that were signed, I would have happily faxed or emailed a copy of the two documents indicating the conditions for forfeiture of the rental deposit.

Let me be clear that it was FR Smiths that cancelled this rental contract and not the reverse.

I am sorry that this very unpleasant exchange has been brought about in a public manner.
We are a very solid business who spends significant time treating our customers with courtesy.