“Unprofessional bunch of Crooks”

FR Smith & Sons Marina
More attraction details
Owner description: FR Smith & Sons is celebrating its' 96th year in business! We are the oldest marina on Lake George to be owned and operated by the same family. We offer boat rentals, canoe & kayak rentals, marine service, boat sales, water taxi, and we have a well stocked marine store. Check out our antique boat charters! A fabulous way to experience the lake - chartering for weddings and special occasions! We have the nicest rental boats on Lake George. Brand new Bryant 21' I/Os; EbbTide and Larson Outboards, and Avalon Pontoons! Rent from us, you will not be disappointed!
Reviewed August 1, 2013

NEVER EVER RENT FROM THIS COMPANY! They are a bunch of crooks. Very unprofessional and extremely rude. We wanted to rent a boat and last minute had to cancel and they will not refund our money. NO where in the contract does it say we are not able to get a refund. When we call to speak to the owner Scott Anderson they will not put us through to him. Please save yourself and rent from a reliable company.

gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Let me explain the real story here - 3 young ladies reserved a rental boat for 3 days. It was explained to them over the phone and while two were present at the rental desk that under no circumstances can our boats be used to go to Log Bay Day (Log Bay Day is held the last Monday of July every year. It is an out of control all day drinking party. It is heavily patrolled by police and many, many tickets are issued). It is our marina policy NOT to rent boats on that day for a single day use. If customers request multiple day rentals that include that day they are given the same information - DO NOT GO TO LOG BAY under any circumstances.

Sue, our rental manager, explained this on the phone and the again in person when they were completing the paper work. One girl eagerly signed all documents including a special document titled "Log Bay Day Disclosure Statement". This document includes this very clear statement: "I understand that participating in any events connected with Log Bay Day will be considered reckless and unsafe and will result in the cancellation of the rental with NO refund."

During the check out process one of my staff overheard one of the girls stating that 'her father was so mad at her for spending so much money to go to Log Bay Day'. At that point, he reported the conversation to our rental manager who immediately cancelled their rental contract.
She stated that she would have to speak to the General Manager about refunding the deposit.

Since that time we have received several very unfriendly, demanding and very loud phone calls. I have since instructed my employees to not engage in conversation with anyone who yells or is disrespectful.

Had someone asked to see the documents that were signed, I would have happily faxed or emailed a copy of the two documents indicating the conditions for forfeiture of the rental deposit.

Let me be clear that it was FR Smiths that cancelled this rental contract and not the reverse.

I am sorry that this very unpleasant exchange has been brought about in a public manner.
We are a very solid business who spends significant time treating our customers with courtesy.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

All in all, this place is horrible. How these people are in business is beyond me. They have hired the most unprofessional people to operate this business. We didn't even leave the marina, and decided to not rent the boat and they wouldn't refund our deposit. After we called to complain, they hung up on us and DISCONNECTED their business line. These people are pathetic, don't even bother with them. Take your money elsewhere!

1  Thank Alexandra M

This is the last review from the same party regarding Log Bay Day boat rentals. The story is the same.

We have policies in place to protect our business assets. Unfortunately this incident went completely against our policy. The result was a forfeiture of the rental deposit which is clearly discussed and documented on the rental contract and the special Log Bay Day Disclosure document.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have been renting boats for over 30 years from this place. I have purchased 2 new boats and 1 used boat from FR SMITH as well. So am i a happy customer? Did they take care of me always and handle any issues i ever had at a moments notice for over 30 years? Did they treat myself and my kids and all the friends i have sent there over the years wonderfully? DO i trust them always to do the right thing? The answer to all of these questions is definately YES! I felt in good hands with FR SMITH from day one.. Yes maybe at first sight they arent all smiles and butt kissing like a happy coffee induced salesman at a first class boat dealership pushing you on a $400K Searay you cant afford, but after a while you will understand who these people are and you will see that they have your interest at best as they are a bit stand offish at first as they meet so many hustlers from the city that it puts them aback a bit until they know who you are.... They are country people with country prices and honest to goodness down home country love and humbleness is what they offer. I can GUARANTEE my experiences have only been positive since day one when i first met Ray Smith in 1982 and then hisnice wife and children wayne and the others. Bob Freedman bucksterbob@msn.com......PEACE OUT!

2  Thank bucksterbob
gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

This is an awesome review but I think you meant to post for the Smith family that owns Lake George Camping Equipment! And by they way, they are really nice people!

It is very easy to confuse since there are 4 marinas on Lake George that are owned by 4 Smith families - none of which are related!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Due to a deployment, my son's boat didn't get winterized. Called FR Smith they said they needed to see the boat to give me an estimate. I drove the nearly 2 hours to their place to see what it was like. Service manager said he didn't need to see the boat but did need motor & drive info. I emailed him the info and said he would work up an estimate and get back to me in a few days. 4 days later I emailed again asking about the estimate. No response. I called and left a message. No response. So I went to Snug Harbor Marina. They came and picked up the boat. Replaced the motor and returned the boat. All in a short time at a reasonable cost.

gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We apologize to Mr Eastman for dropping the ball on this service request. He did in fact email our service manager, Adam, who admits that he dropped the ball on this. Things happen during a busy season but this is no excuse. We thank Mr Eastman for point out our deficiency in handling his business.

While have no expectations, we would love to make it up to him in the future as at some time.
Robin Smith
Owner

Reviewed July 10, 2013

They may not be the cheapest marina around but you can count on them to do what's needed and not more - unless you ask.

They care more about your boat than you do.

3  Thank DJ K