“great place to rent a boat”

FR Smith & Sons Marina
More attraction details
Owner description: FR Smith & Sons is celebrating its' 96th year in business! We are the oldest marina on Lake George to be owned and operated by the same family. We offer boat rentals, canoe & kayak rentals, marine service, boat sales, water taxi, and we have a well stocked marine store. Check out our antique boat charters! A fabulous way to experience the lake - chartering for weddings and special occasions! We have the nicest rental boats on Lake George. Brand new Bryant 21' I/Os; EbbTide and Larson Outboards, and Avalon Pontoons! Rent from us, you will not be disappointed!
New York, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“great place to rent a boat”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was a great place to rent a boat there was six of us three couples and we all got to drive all you need is a license !!

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Xavier R

Fair Lawn, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Refused to honor discount coupon!”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We rented a pontoon boat in the mid-afternoon for 4 hours, however due to Smith's closing time, we were only allowed to keep the boat out for 3 hours. We asked if they could give us a discount because they knew we could not stay out for all 4 hours, but they refused because of their "policy". By the way, they would not have received any money for the boat if we did not come along--it would have sat there docked. Then, after we returned to our hotel room, we found a coupon for 10% off so we called them asking for a credit. After getting told "no" by a clerk, we asked to speak with the owner. After leaving several voicemails with the owner over several days, he finally called us back and said he would see what he could do after he gets some time to review receipts. We never heard from him again, despite calling him several times afterward. Would it have really hurt them to give us a $40 refund to earn our repeat business? They deserve this bad review, and hopefully it will teach them a lesson in customer service.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank Gary G
Bolton Landing, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Beware of boat rentals from FR SMITH & SONS Marina Bolton Landing NY”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

In August 2011, I rented a 21' pontoon boat from FR SMITH & SONS marina in Bolton Landing (Lake George) NY.  Upon picking up the boat the employee and I reviewed a rental inspection checklist which included a VISUAL inspection of the propeller. The review was done underneath a covered boat dock with diminished lighting. The employee raised the propeller partially out of the water but at no time ever did I or the employee ever physically feel the propeller for damage.  I signed the inspection checklist and used the boat without any incident for three days. When I returned the boat the employees began an extremely detailed inspection (in natural sunlight) of the propeller which included running his fingers along the blade edges for damage.  Following this new "hands on"  inspection FR SMITH & SONS wanted to charge me in excess of $140 for a small  rough edge along one of the propeller blades. Because neither the employee or I ever physically touched the propeller blades prior to my departure from their marina, I stated that it was an unfair and unscrupulous business practice to charge me for a preexisting, damaged propeller blade. In the end, we had $70 deducted from our security deposit which we are disputing with our credit card company. It was only after this incident did I find other internet postings from other families victimized in phantom damage scams by FR SMITH & SONS. It should be noted that the boat was rented following a very slow tourist week due to Hurricane Irene coming through Lake George. I found FR SMITH & SONS motives and tactics highly suspect and would never use them again nor recommend them.

Visited August 2011
17 Thank S D
gracielouny, Owner at FR Smith & Sons Marina, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
This is issue had been resolved with the customer, SD, shortly after the rental period. It was admittedly an error on the part of our staff for not inspecting the propeller fully before the boat left our dock. An apology was made by telephone and a full refund was given immediately.

We strive to be an honest business - at all times, however, things happen. We do not create 'phantom damages' to collect money from unsuspecting tourists. We do, however, fully explain to renters that they are fully responsible for any and all damage done to our boat when it is in their hands. A full inspection is completed prior to the release of the boat and again upon return. In this case, an employee's haste caused the process to fail and SD was erroneously charged. We re-trained our dockhands on the process to prevent incidents in the future.