“Consider this, when booking a family:”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hedges

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Mountain Lake
The Hedges
Camillus, New York
“Consider this, when booking a family:”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

The Hedges is an absolutely beautiful property with many beautiful flowers/plants/sitting areas, outside and in. The rustic lodges really have an old fashioned great camp "feel", and it's a wonderful place to uplug, rest and recharge. You can't beat Blue Mountain Lake for gorgeous views!

HOWEVER,

First of all, good luck getting in! The Hedges welcome back the same families year after year, who like to stay in the same cabins/rooms year after year, and it doesn't matter how early YOU personally get your application in, chances are, if it's prime summer tourist time, you will NOT get in. The Hedges doesn't seem to care about turn over, or "new blood"....though I can understand counting on a perceived guaranteed income. Reservations are definitely NOT first come, first served, though they will put you on a wait list if you don't mind being left in limbo until you hear from them months later.

Secondly....be advised that each additional child you add (6 and older) is $75/day...FOR EACH CHILD! I have three children, and would have paid $75 total for all three combined....but I can't see how they justify that charge! Even considering breakfast/dinner/linens and boat rentals...the cost is simply too high! All three of my kids combined would not eat $75 worth of food a day, (let alone $225...which for a full week totals to over $1000)!

If you are lucky enough to get in, and lucky enough to justify the extra daily fee per child, then The Hedges will not disappoint....it's too bad that (it seems as though) families with children are discouraged (even though they will point out all the Children's activities and programs available).

It's too bad...we would have really liked to have stayed!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Greystonegirl117

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Two sisters, Pat and Francis, from Georgia run the Hedges. They bring with them warm Southern Hospitality that permeates through the entire staff. Good food from Sue the head cook that has been with the sisters for 39 years. Relaxing atmosphere. Community campfire every night. Good quality boats for guests use; royalex and fiberglass canoes, kayaks. (no cheap tin-can aluminum boats) Great place to rejuvenate. Blue Mountain Lake is one of the most scenic and interesting in the Adirondacks; lots of islands. If you want a great Adirondack experience at an old time historic Adirondack camp, this is a good choice. If you are expecting the Ritz-Carlton, go elsewhere. The Hedges is a unique place in the mountains. It is not fair to compare it to a city hotel. It knocks Elk Lake out of contention.

Room Tip: The're all unique.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John v
Biloxi,MS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

The place needs upgrading work and the young European servers in the restaurant just didn't get service. When we checked in, we were told our two bedroom cabin (over $300 per night) had never had a lock and didn't need one. Sorry, but this is a few hours drive from NY City; I'm sure there is no one there who would break into a hotel room.
The food was very average at best and as mentioned above, the service was poor. We never got our desert and coffee one night as the young server just disappeared and we finally left.
The redeeming feature of the Hedges is its wonderful location on the lake.
Also, to cap things off, when we checked out, our bill included a 15% gratuity for "service". We had already tipped in cash at each meal but wouldn't have allowed it anyway as it was 15% of the room rate in lieu of meals. Traveled a lot but never heard of this practice; 15% of $600. They could have brought this up at Check-in very easily. All in all I would not stay here again.

7 Thank BWD2013
West Hempstead, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Okay, first, the bad news. If WiFi reception is important to you, know this. The dining room and the nice rooms in the Main Lodge get no WiFi reception. We were in room 15. In the bathroom (like I want to sit in the bathroom to work on my IPad), reception was spotty. In the bedroom there was NO WiFi at all. The people in room 16 asked us if we were having better luck than they were with WiFi because they had none at all and my advice to them was to try sitting on the toilet. Fortunately, at the Stone Lodge WiFi was perfect. Even sitting on the porch or in the chairs lakeside the signal was strong. I'll call the lack of reception in the Main Lodge "bad news" because I specifically asked for a room with good WiFi when booking because I work some while on vacation and I need it and I was told the entire property got reception. False. I even had the staff reboot the router for me to no avail.

Next: At breakfast one can order as much of whatever is available as one wants, including orange juice and coffee. At dinner on the prepaid plan you can have all the coffee you want but order a diet coke and you'll have to sign for it because it will cost you $1.50. Sorry, but that's weird. An up-charge for wine, beer or liquor I can certainly understand but for a diet coke? No! Big suggestion: The coke should be included in the price of the meal! Owners? STOP IT! You don't charge for the coke with the meal plan dinner! It's crazy!

Okay: Now for the good news. In brief, everything else. The entire lodge is spotless, the service is extremely attentive and friendly to the extent that one feels the staff, themselves are enjoying themselves. The lodges and the decor within bring one back to days gone by in mountain lodges of this kind. The lake is right there for you to kayak in, canoe in or just sit by and enjoy some reading or chatting.

Apparently The Hedges dining room gets a good deal of business from people who are not staying at the lodge in addition to those who are so there are two menus, the BIG one and the one for guests who have paid for their meals (except their diet coke, mind you). The menu for guests offers a fish dish, a meat dish a vegetarian dish and a chef's salad. The food is good and while diner is not an "all you can eat" deal like at another place on the lake, it was all I could eat, and I'm 6' and 220 pounds. If anything, at the end of dinner I felt like I'd eaten too much. Another suggestion. The lodge MIGHT want to offer the current guests dining plan and then another plan for guests who'd like to order from the full menu.

I mentioned the other place on the lake. It's called Hemlock Hall. We stayed there last year and opted to go to The Hedges after a 25 year hiatus this year. We prefer the grounds at The Hedges and not only was there NO WiFi anywhere at Hemlock Hall but even 3G was spotty at best and the place was just too day campy for us. Everybody knew everybody else, except us. People book the same week each year so as to meet up with old fiends who have been coming for decades and meal service is family style at tables for 10 or 12 or so. At The Hedges, you get a private table for your party alone and while people have also been coming for decades, that day camp for older people feel is non-existent.

I REALLY enjoyed The Hedges and we want to come back too. I do like to mix things up some by trying a place like this one year and maybe The Asticou Inn in Bar Harbor the next and The Finger Lakes the next but I'd recommend The Hedges to anyone and I plan to go back more than once in the future. I love it.

Room Tip: I was told the entire property was WiFi enabled and it is not. Rooms in the Main Lodge got no WiFi r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DrCarl527
Binghamton, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Hedges was absolutely incredible! This was the complete Adirondack experience we were hoping for. The grounds and buildings are gorgeous- completely authentic to the 1880's with beautiful antiques taking you back in time. The breakfast and dinner each day were VERY good- the portions were plentiful and we really didn't need lunch in between. There is so much to do there with the kayaks & canoes & bikes, game rooms with puzzles and every imaginable board game, books to read, and many beautiful sitting areas indoors and out. The staff was superb- especially our waiter Zoli. We had the same table each morning and evening and it did become "our" table. It was really nice to see the same people each day, relaxing throughout the grounds, at the dining lodge or at the evening bonfire. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: The Colonel's room is very spacious, conveniently located with nice water front views and can ac...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights in late September, and have already requested reservations for more nights next year. We’ve been to Blue Mountain Lake many, many times years ago but had never stayed at The Hedges. However, now it’s got a different feel than it had when we considered it years ago and found it gloomy. Now, under the new owner the place is welcoming and radiant with care. The grounds are lovely, and beautifully planted. Flowers are everywhere. Interesting antique furniture and lighting fixtures fill the private and public rooms. And, the staff is stellar.

Blue Mountain Lake was as mystical and blue as ever and the Loons were in full song. Mostly there were couples when we were there, (school had started, so the families with children were no longer vacationing,) and many guests spent lots of time in the great Adirondack chairs reading quietly by the glistening lake. The air is so clean, as is the water, you want to simply inhale all day long and drink water from the tap. They don’t have TV sets, but the crowd that goes all the way up to Blue Mountain Lake seems glad for that omission. However, don’t worry about WIFI, the place is wired, it’s free and it works. There are kayaks, rowboat, a tennis court and other games and lots of hiking trails. The breakfast offerings were bountiful and delicious. The dinners were fine. The Hedges will also give you lunch fare to take on a hike. If you need food in the middle of the day the little store by the Blue Mountain gas station has hot food at lunchtime, and you can also get all the NY papers there. At night after dinner, as the evening cooled, we went to a campfire by the lake and roasted marshmallows and shared life stories with other couples we’d never met before. We were all from different places, but all shared a love of the peace, quiet and beauty of The Adirondacks and Blue Mountain Lake.

Make sure not to leave Blue Mountain without first taking a two hours history boat tour of the lake with the brothers down at the boat livery. It’s a wonderful trip which will enrich your visit and appreciation of Blue Mountain. A visit to the Adirondack Museum will do that too, but not in the same “in the water” way. This is a wonderful restful mystical place.

2 Thank Suzanne S
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

There are no televisions. If that is not a problem for you, you should enjoy staying there.

The Hedges is an old property on a lake with cabins as well as rooms in three separate buildings. I was pleasantly surprised by how new our room looked and by how nicely it was decorated. We stayed in room 24 in the Stone Lodge, a king with lake view. It included a comfortable chair and a love seat. Room 23 might be a little larger.

When I return, I will probably try to stay in a room in the Main Lodge primarily because, in case of rain, it is closer to the dinomg lodge and has access to more public areas for waiting out a rainy day. Both the Main Lodge and the Stone Building have a common room with gas fireplaces. I would not worry about having a "lake view" because you are not likely to spend much time looking at the lake from your room.

Not everyone will be thrilled with the dinner service. Breakfast is ordered off a menu, and there are enough options to satisfy anyone. During breakfast, you are asked to select your dinner entree, usually from four choices: two meats, a vegetarian option, and a dinner salad. All meals come with a soup, a salad, and a dessert (or you can have very good vanilla ice cream with or without toppings). My wife and I thought the food was very good. The entrees menu for dinner on the day we left was honey glazed pork, shrimp and grits (the owners are from Georgia), vegetarian moussaka, and cobb salad. You can purchase beer and wine.

The only other issue might be your tolerance for children. We were there in September and very few children were around. I expect that it is quite different during the Summer.

Plan to spend a full day at the nearby Adirondacks Museum. You can reenter one time within seven days of the ticket purchase.

3 Thank RoySandlapper
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Big Moose Inn
Big Moose Inn
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay

Been to The Hedges? Share your experiences!