“Wonderful”
Review of Hemlock Hall

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Mountain Lake
Hemlock Hall
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I have stayed in the white birch cottage TWICE already and I absolutely love it, the place is wonderful.. the food is out of this world especially breakfast.. everything is clean and tidy. my family will be back fathers day weekend which is their opening weekend.. we go every year.

Room Tip: White Birch is the best cottage they have and usually reservations are almost a yr in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hemlock Hall

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Hemlock Hall is an old fashioned woodsy Adirondack camp resort. It has a pretty lake front with a little beach and lots of Adirondack chairs scattered about. There are kayaks, canoes, and rowboats you can take out on the lake. Blue Mountain Lake is beautiful. Many of the guests visit year after year. We were the only first timers we met. The cabins look inviting. We decided to go at the last minute and got a room in the building they call a motel. It's up high over the lake with a nice view. The walls in the motel are thin. Breakfast (huge) and dinner ( huge) are included in the room rate. One gets an assigned seat and seats at large round tables with the other guests. The food is old fashioned and hearty. I hadn't eaten like this since I was a child. It is certainly not a run of the mill resort. Huge birch trees, beautiful lake, one feels like it's been the same for 50 years. It was a good experience.

Room Tip: IF you stay in the motel section try not to get the middle room because the walls are thin.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Hemlock is a very unique place. Bkfst,dinner w/cabin. Great food and you're seated w/new people each meal. First time using kayak and climbing a small mountain all without leaving property. Great Adirondack Museum nearby.Boat tour around lake w/very knowledgable captain regarding history of area. Clean cabin w/kitchette and great views of the lake.

Room Tip: Cabin 5 - great view of lake. Reserve early in year, many people reserve from one year to next and p...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank shirebuyer
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Unlike other reviewers we are still newbies to Hemlock Hall. Last year we made our first trip to the Adirondacks and stayed in a clean,comfortable motel unit. This September we returned and stayed in the "Water's Edge" cottage which we absolutely loved! The cottage is very cute and the deck- sitting is a wonderful, relaxing pasttime as it literally hangs right over the water's edge. We had our own dock w/canoe underneath the living area...an unexpected surprise! We were very fortunate to have had beautiful weather and a full moon...what fun to canoe by moonlight! The meals are great and saves you from finding a restaurant in an area where they are few and far between. Do not be put off by family style seating but do make sure you arrive on time so as not to be in the way of the busy servers. We found conversation to be easygoing and informative as you hear of other guests adventures. Last year we hiked the Castle Rock trail located at the end of HH's road.This year we explored the Adirondack Museum which is just up the main highway. But always allow time to be on the water whether you are boating or sitting on the dock to take in the beauty of this area!

Room Tip: If you want to be on the water, "Water's Edge" is for you!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Judy M
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have been going here since I was a baby. The food is always amazing and it's an amazing place to be. No tv, just the beautiful scenery and things to do-whether that is staying at the lodge and hanging on the porch on a chair or down to the beach where there are plenty of things to do. Make a sandcastle, or go out on a kayak or paddle boat or row boat or sunfish boat...swim, or fish. I always love going back. The service is above amazing and it's just a great place to be. And if you go sight seeing you can order a lunch and take it with you. I can't remember a bad memory there. I can't wait until next summer so I can take my little ones and start their memories!!

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank Lovemykids0510
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Returned from another wonderful week at Hemlock Hall. Our second home in the summer. My entire family came, including my 14 month old grand daughter. She loved it. The feel of the sand on the beach. She ate every meal! Bacon, pancakes, eggs, corn beef, ham, even cole slaw!. She was taking a few steps when we got there, but by mid-week she was walking around the dining room. The entire place burst out in applause. It is truly a family fun filled place. Paul, Diana, Judy, Crystal, Jason, Becky, Nicki, they all treat us like family. My husband found Hemlock Hall in 1977 where we spent our honeymoon. We returned in 1987 and have been going back every summer since.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Justsuern
Reviewed July 5, 2011

** Note: unlike other reviewers we just found this place driving down the road **

The Fourth of july weekend, my wife and I headed out from Washington DC with the only the "Adirondacks" being the destination . We made it to Utica the 1st day and then the next morning we headed up Rt. 28 north. Noticing that most of the lodging had NO VACANCY signs, we decided we'd keep an eye out for any area motels/hotels/lodges that would have us. As the miles pealed away we began to feel lost in the vast wilderness.

Then we saw the sign for Hemlock Hall. Driving down the long access road we love what we saw - a pristine lake, fir forest, and lots of quiet. In a small clearing was a large, victorian house with a wonderful wrap-around porch. Inside a nice women told us we were in luck, because they only had one small cabin left right on the water. The price ($200/night) was steep for us, but after realizing that it included breafast and supper, and use of the canoeing/kayacking - it sounded doable.

The cabin (called the Cedar) was lovely, with an elevated view of the Lake to die for. Even though we were VERY rusty, we canoed around, and saw some great loons, mergansers, and warblers.

We felt a little odd at first sitting down at a table to dine with a bunch of strangers, but the conversation was great and not pushy at all. Everyone respected eachother and avoided talking too much and getting into too controversial topics. Some of that didn't really matter, since pretty much all turned out to be NPR listeners.

late in the evening I met Paul in the kitchen while he was baking his famous bread. I asked him for advice about wildlife watching as a life-long Adirondacks resident, he was extremely knowledgeable. We talked for more than an hour about last winter's snow, moose, and a rumor that Wolves have returned to the area. In a funny way, I felt like I was in a friend's kitchen - not a commercial hotel.

Overall, my wife and I had a great time, and would recommend Hemlock Hall to those looking for a combination of nature, great food (we're vegetarians), and conversation.

The only drawbck was that they didn't take credit cards, but it was easy enough to get cash at a local ATM...

Room Tip: Only accept Cash, but ATMs are nearby
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
#4 of 5 in Long Lake
Big Moose Inn
Big Moose Inn
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay

Been to Hemlock Hall? Share your experiences!