“Our second home”
Review of Hemlock Hall

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Mountain Lake
Hemlock Hall
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Returned from another wonderful week at Hemlock Hall. Our second home in the summer. My entire family came, including my 14 month old grand daughter. She loved it. The feel of the sand on the beach. She ate every meal! Bacon, pancakes, eggs, corn beef, ham, even cole slaw!. She was taking a few steps when we got there, but by mid-week she was walking around the dining room. The entire place burst out in applause. It is truly a family fun filled place. Paul, Diana, Judy, Crystal, Jason, Becky, Nicki, they all treat us like family. My husband found Hemlock Hall in 1977 where we spent our honeymoon. We returned in 1987 and have been going back every summer since.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Justsuern

Reviewed July 5, 2011

** Note: unlike other reviewers we just found this place driving down the road **

The Fourth of july weekend, my wife and I headed out from Washington DC with the only the "Adirondacks" being the destination . We made it to Utica the 1st day and then the next morning we headed up Rt. 28 north. Noticing that most of the lodging had NO VACANCY signs, we decided we'd keep an eye out for any area motels/hotels/lodges that would have us. As the miles pealed away we began to feel lost in the vast wilderness.

Then we saw the sign for Hemlock Hall. Driving down the long access road we love what we saw - a pristine lake, fir forest, and lots of quiet. In a small clearing was a large, victorian house with a wonderful wrap-around porch. Inside a nice women told us we were in luck, because they only had one small cabin left right on the water. The price ($200/night) was steep for us, but after realizing that it included breafast and supper, and use of the canoeing/kayacking - it sounded doable.

The cabin (called the Cedar) was lovely, with an elevated view of the Lake to die for. Even though we were VERY rusty, we canoed around, and saw some great loons, mergansers, and warblers.

We felt a little odd at first sitting down at a table to dine with a bunch of strangers, but the conversation was great and not pushy at all. Everyone respected eachother and avoided talking too much and getting into too controversial topics. Some of that didn't really matter, since pretty much all turned out to be NPR listeners.

late in the evening I met Paul in the kitchen while he was baking his famous bread. I asked him for advice about wildlife watching as a life-long Adirondacks resident, he was extremely knowledgeable. We talked for more than an hour about last winter's snow, moose, and a rumor that Wolves have returned to the area. In a funny way, I felt like I was in a friend's kitchen - not a commercial hotel.

Overall, my wife and I had a great time, and would recommend Hemlock Hall to those looking for a combination of nature, great food (we're vegetarians), and conversation.

The only drawbck was that they didn't take credit cards, but it was easy enough to get cash at a local ATM...

Room Tip: Only accept Cash, but ATMs are nearby
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank ColumbiaHeightsDC
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My husband, son and I just returned from another beautiful long weekend at Hemlock Hall. My husbands family has been going there for over 30 years and I have been going for the last 5. We had another wonderful stay as always! The weather wasn't great for 2 out of the 3 days so we did a lot of reading, lounging, napping and relaxing. We also went to the Wild Museum (amazing!) in nearby Tupper Lake.
The food of course is always incredible. Breakfast each morning is juice, coffee, hot chocolate, toast, jelly, hot cereal, cold cereal, eggs, bacon and pancakes. Dinner on Saturday was turkey, stuffing, peas, gravy, cranberry sauce, bread, chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream. Dinner on Monday was Caesar salad, roast beef, gravy, corn, bread, apple pie and ice cream.
Paul generously leaves the kitchen open for guests to help themselves to snacks and coffee. Fruit, water and cookies are always available during the day too.
Our cabin was lovely (my first stay at Lakeside) and the view overlooking the water was breathtaking. Linens, towels and even a pack and play with sheet were provided for our baby. Everything was very clean in our cabin and in the dining room and kitchen.
We are already looking forward to going back next year!

Room Tip: Call in advance (the season before)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Melongelical
Reviewed August 1, 2009

It's hard to believe that 43 years ago, my parents and two brothers and I vacationed for the first time at Hemlock Hall. The fact that my parents have not missed a year since speaks volumes for the wonderful experiences, treasured friends and fondest memories that we have of what we think is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I'd not been back in many years, but with the incredible warm welcome from owner Paul Provost, gracious service and friendliness of all of the staff, you would have thought I was a member of the Hemlock Hall family coming home. In fact, I was! If tranquility is what you seek, you'll find it there. If meeting old friends and new friends is important while breaking bread family style, you'll find it there. If I could, I'd definitely go back every year! Cheers and a multitude of thanks to Paul and Susan Provost for the best vacation I've had in years!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank AdirondackfromCaryNC
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My new husband and I wanted to get away and relax for a few nights in the Adirondacks, a friend mentioned Hemlock Hall to us..and we are so glad she did!! It was perfect...from the warm welcome from Paul and Dianne to the clean cozy cabin and delicious home cooked food (especially the bacon and bread!) and friendly people...it was perfect!!

We can't wait to go back!! Thank you for an awesome relaxing mini-moon, Paul. Next time, we're eating less and hiking more. :-)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HikerStacy
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I am one of those HH fanatics that comes back every year ...well not always, because I now live in London. But I try to get back whenever I can. My ex-wife and I found this place about 25 years ago (when we lived in New York City) and have come almost every summer since. It has outlasted our marriage. (One of the most diffucult settlements was "Who's going to get the week at Hemlock Hall?). It is perfectly situated in the heart of the Adirondacks, with good easy to intermediate hiking nearby. (For the more serious HIgh Peaks climbing stay in Lake Placid instead). HH's setting is marvelous; the lodge is on a dirt road, near the terminus, so there's no traffic rushing by. The cabins are lovely, very 'rustic' (which doesn't mean run-down, just very basic). The food is a throwback to dinners with Ozzie and Harriet--they're still mounding bacon on their breakfast plates, although you don't have to eat anything you don't want. Our kids grew up spending two weeks every summer here; we come back the same weeks, and there are kids there they've grown up with! Great setting to enjoy a drink on the porch of your cottage while the kids run around after dinner exploring the grounds. I can't recommend it highly enough. And for the writer two below me, Paul is just the nicest guy I know, but he has a weird sense of humor. The only reason I hesitated to write this review is that it's already so hard to get reservations that I'm not sure I want to tell anyone about it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Mystery_Traveller00
Reviewed March 1, 2009

amazing place to stay!!! The person below me is OBVIOUSLY CRAZY... Paul was probably kidding! He never gets mad, and he's so fun to be around! There is a beautiful lake with a family of loons. The owner, Paul Provost, is a wonderful man who supplies kayaks to go explore the lake and its numerous islands with. The lake is clear- one of the cleanest in the Adirondacks. Many nearby mountains can be climbed in no time at all, and have spectacular views at the top. Fish are plentiful in Blue Mountain Lake, But Catch and release is strongly stressed. We've been there many times, and every stay has been wonderful. Also, the world famous Adirondack museum is just about a mile away. definitely stay here, or even just for dinner!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
#1 of 6 in Inlet
Big Moose Inn
Big Moose Inn
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay

Been to Hemlock Hall? Share your experiences!