“great food and warm hospitality”
Review of The Holloway House

The Holloway House
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Bloomfield
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Holloway House since 1808, featuring traditional American fare at affordable prices. The main dining rooms feature Roast Turkey, Steaks, and Seafood in a historic setting. Also a Sunday Buffet Brunch is a great way to enjoy your family and friends after church . Friday night Fish Fry followed by a slice of one of our in house baked pies or creme brulee is a great way to start your weekend or trip to one of the lakes. A perfect place for your next party, private seating for groups up to 60. Saturday night prime rib and seafood buffet is very popular.
Reviewed August 12, 2011

we have eaten at the holloway house many times and have never been disappointed. dawn and her staff make you feel right at home in this historic inn. their saturday night buffett offer a good selection of meat seafood salads etc/ the desserts are always special and the orange rolls the best. check it out

There are newer reviews for The Holloway House

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I am not much into brunches/buffets, but thought we'd give it a try. Walked in. Waited about 5 minutes before the hostess appeared to show us to our table. Waitresses all wear these really ugly, very old fashioned blue dresses. As someone else mentioned, mold was visible in some areas though I did not see any in the dining area. One of the sinks in the men's room had a "clogged" sign on it.
There were not a lot of selections on the buffet table. There was a helpful elderly and charming lady to explain what the selections were, and a gentleman slicing lamb and turkey who was rather personable. The lamb was really very nicely cooked. Sausage was quite good. Enjoyed the quiche. The mac & cheeze. Roasted potatoes. For a buffet, everything seemed reasonably fresh and better than average. $20 seemed a bit pricey.
So the food was better than I expected and the atmosphere less than hoped for. I do not want mold or plumbing issues where I eat. And the uniforms the wait staff wore were just atrocious.

3  Thank swampknot
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We have dinner at the Holloway House a few times a month and have always had a GREAT meal! If you haven't been or haven't been in a while....make your way to beautiful Bloomfield - you'll love it too!!

1  Thank LauraBristolNY
Reviewed May 9, 2011

1. There is duct tape on the walls and mold on the ceilings. Oh! and the ceiling by the fireplace appears ready to fall on your head any moment.
2. The relish trays were tacky, stingy, and took away from the meal.
3. The pacing of the food delivery was staggered.
4. The filet tasted like warmed clay.
5. The lobster smelled like freezer burn.
6. The salad seemed to have come from a bag.
7. It had all the warmth of a hospital cafeteria.
8 Priced very high, particularly when one considers what one is given for their money.

Maybe it's time, after 203 years, for this place to close their doors and move to Florida. Hey, just a suggestion.

5  Thank JackLee068
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I think it was dining here that made me wish for something like Trip Advisor. I last ate here before I had discovered this site, and I haven't gotten back to Holloway House in awhile (I live over 4 hours away, now, and used to regularly attend a conference in Rochester). I've eaten there multiple times after finding it by chance. The atmosphere was always pleasant, the food excellent, and the prices seemed to me to be of good value compared to the quality of the food and other similiar establishments. While they do have some simple fare, the specific item I wanted to highlight was the duck I had my last visit there. I've had more disappointing duck dinners than good ones. This one was anything but. It was lean, but still juicy. It was *not* fat-laden. It wasn't buried in an overly-sweet sauce. It was a grand-slam home-run, If you don't care for duck, I don't suppose it's possible to explain how many places royally ruin it, and how good this experience was. I was so enthusiastic while talking to my waiter they actually brought the chef out to talk to me (the only time in my life this has happened, even if I was lodging a serious complaint about a dinner). The kicker was when they asked my how often I'd had duck, and how often I'd eaten out, I blanked and really under-sold my experiences, and they probably thought my high opinion of the meal was pretty worthless. I was thinking about that on the long drive home, and after I started trying to make a mental note of the number of "nice" restaurants I'd patronized, I gave up after counting past 100 in 6 states - plus the low number of times anyone had served duck properly (in my opinion). Consider this my correction to the impression I may have left them. For the record, it's one of only three times it's been done well, and of the three the best. (Beware of "Long Island Duckling" while on LI. True, my two other choices on the Island, but most restaurants there don't know how to do it any better than anywhere else I've tried). Whatever you do order there, Olde Holloway House is still a small treasure. Take note - they are open for Sunday brunch, but closed Mondays.

3  Thank Reviewer6SJ7