“The best part of the meal was walking out the door.”
Review of The Holloway House

The Holloway House
Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Bloomfield
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Holloway House since 1808, featuring traditional American fare at affordable prices. The main dining rooms feature Roast Turkey, Steaks, and Seafood in a historic setting. Also a Sunday Buffet Brunch is a great way to enjoy your family and friends after church . Friday night Fish Fry followed by a slice of one of our in house baked pies or creme brulee is a great way to start your weekend or trip to one of the lakes. A perfect place for your next party, private seating for groups up to 60. Saturday night prime rib and seafood buffet is very popular.
Reviewed May 9, 2011

1. There is duct tape on the walls and mold on the ceilings. Oh! and the ceiling by the fireplace appears ready to fall on your head any moment.
2. The relish trays were tacky, stingy, and took away from the meal.
3. The pacing of the food delivery was staggered.
4. The filet tasted like warmed clay.
5. The lobster smelled like freezer burn.
6. The salad seemed to have come from a bag.
7. It had all the warmth of a hospital cafeteria.
8 Priced very high, particularly when one considers what one is given for their money.

Maybe it's time, after 203 years, for this place to close their doors and move to Florida. Hey, just a suggestion.

5  Thank JackLee068

Reviewed October 24, 2010

I think it was dining here that made me wish for something like Trip Advisor. I last ate here before I had discovered this site, and I haven't gotten back to Holloway House in awhile (I live over 4 hours away, now, and used to regularly attend a conference in Rochester). I've eaten there multiple times after finding it by chance. The atmosphere was always pleasant, the food excellent, and the prices seemed to me to be of good value compared to the quality of the food and other similiar establishments. While they do have some simple fare, the specific item I wanted to highlight was the duck I had my last visit there. I've had more disappointing duck dinners than good ones. This one was anything but. It was lean, but still juicy. It was *not* fat-laden. It wasn't buried in an overly-sweet sauce. It was a grand-slam home-run, If you don't care for duck, I don't suppose it's possible to explain how many places royally ruin it, and how good this experience was. I was so enthusiastic while talking to my waiter they actually brought the chef out to talk to me (the only time in my life this has happened, even if I was lodging a serious complaint about a dinner). The kicker was when they asked my how often I'd had duck, and how often I'd eaten out, I blanked and really under-sold my experiences, and they probably thought my high opinion of the meal was pretty worthless. I was thinking about that on the long drive home, and after I started trying to make a mental note of the number of "nice" restaurants I'd patronized, I gave up after counting past 100 in 6 states - plus the low number of times anyone had served duck properly (in my opinion). Consider this my correction to the impression I may have left them. For the record, it's one of only three times it's been done well, and of the three the best. (Beware of "Long Island Duckling" while on LI. True, my two other choices on the Island, but most restaurants there don't know how to do it any better than anywhere else I've tried). Whatever you do order there, Olde Holloway House is still a small treasure. Take note - they are open for Sunday brunch, but closed Mondays.

3  Thank Reviewer6SJ7
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The Holloway House in East Bloomfield, New York is a find....one that everyone should treat themselves to....for lunch or dinner.
We found the Holloway House ourselves 20 plus years ago when we lived in the Rochester area. We now live near Dayton, Ohio....but whenever we are even remotely near East Bloomfield on our travels, we make a point to schedule our trip so it coincides with a meal at the Holloway House. The service is prompt and friendly. The rolls and bread are a family tradition....as is the turkey dinner. Most recently we sampled a wonderful spinach salad and a rich but delicious turkey pot pie. The homemade soups are always the best! I believe the Holloway House runs a Wednesday night special....a wonderful turkey dinner for a group of 3 - 4 people.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

We live in the area, and we have eaten here a number of times over the years. In our opinion the restaurant quality has gone downhill while the prices have gone up. I can understand the higher prices if the dining experience is really fine. Last Friday night it certainly was not. Four of us had dinner there. The wine list had increased in price, and it was hard to find modestly priced wines by the glass among the many, many offerings. Two of us had the turkey dinner. It was just OK, but really not of any higher quality than I have had in a modest diner. Also, I ordered extra gravy, and it had a skin on it when it was served. My wife had a chicken dish, and the chicken was tough and over-cooked. Our friend had the salmon, and the salmon was over-cooked. In the past, two vegetable were brought around and served family style. On Friday, the only offering was what seemed to be frozen peas. Fortunately, we had discount coupons, which moderated the dinner prices a bit. Perhaps the problem was that HH offers a seafood buffet on Friday night, and therefore preparation of other menu items are slighted. In a way, I hope so, because for many years HH used to be a special place to have dinner. It would be a shame if that is no longer the case. I don't know if I will risk a return.

1  Thank rudolph38
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Whether you stop in the tavern for a light meal and a drink or have a wonderful lunch or dinner in the dining room, the Holloway House is a very special place. Enjoy the atmosphere of this 1808 building that is reminiscent of earlier times. Family owned and run, any request will be accommodated. A true slice of Americana, The Holloway House has been a great stop for our family for special occasions or anytime.

1  Thank Beebs10
TheWaynes, family at The Holloway House, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2009

Thank you for the review.! We work hard to provide a comfortable atmosphere where families and friends can enjoy their conversation and meal. Dining in an 1808 stagecoach inn is a little bit of history too!!

Thanks