“Would not recommend!”
Review of Grand Royale Hotel

Grand Royale Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here when we were searching for an apartment in Binghamton. The first room we were assigned was the size of a closet and smelled of mildew. It was so humid that the carpet literally soaked through our socks. Uncharacteristically, we asked for a new room. They did accommodate our request, and the new room was a bit better. It was larger, but still smelled musty. We kept our shoes on just to be safe. Stay at your own peril! However, it was under construction at the time and only a few floors were open. Hopefully it has improved.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jadeovertones

Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is the towns old city hall. It's a different experience but was fun staying one night. Headed to Canada and was a perfect spot to stop. Free parking and free breakfast. Breakfast was not the best but sufficient. Staff was very friendly and bed was comfortable. Ate dinner at an Irish pub behind the hotel. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Patty G
Reviewed May 18, 2012

The rooms were disgusting, scuff marks on the wall, dirt on the floor, dust everywhere, etc.. The staff was even more unbearable; upon checkout I was charged an extra $40 for an additional 3 people in a suite, making a total of 4 people... In a suite. When discussing the charge with the staff I was met with such an unbelievable attitude I was in shock. The bottom line: a hotel with ridiculously overpriced, dirty rooms and a staff that would make the Super 8 seem like the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jeffrey012
Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you are looking for a hotel in the center of old downtown Binghamton, then this is an ideal choice for you. It is less than a stone's throw from the courthouse.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who will bust on this place (I read some before I booked). However, it was clean, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel for someone considering staying near downtown. It is true that my room was in need of cosmetic repairs here and there. The bed was acceptable, but the mattress was not up the standards of a good business hotel. The only really notable positive thing in the room was the 20 foot tall ceiling.

The lobby, bar and breakfast areas reflect the historic character of this building. For me, this made the hotel a good value for the $110 I paid. Take a look at the lobby photos and if you are not interested, then you probably won't agree with my rating. For some reason, this area is more expensive than the national average when it comes to hotels. A decent business hotel in this area will cost you $20 more and will not have any pleasant surprises for you.

The continental breakfast is nothing special, but is better than a sharp stick in the eye. They did have plenty of fresh cookies out late at night (don't tell anyone, but my wife and I downed 3 each).

One note - when the numerous bars close at 3 AM on the weekend, the the streets around this hotel fill screaming [--]. I've never seen or heard anything like it, even in college. When I first woke up and opened the curtains, I expected to bear personal witness to the rise of the planet of the apes. For me, this was another quirk of the hotel I could take in as an anthropological case study. Other people would be less tolerant and should avoid this area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FirstOnes
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Grand Royale. The staff was friendly, the room was comfortable. The breakfast was included and there was a coffee maker, microwave and refridgerator in the room, which made it a good value. There were pretzel crumbs on the floor from previous guests but other than that, the room was clean. We enjoyed the unique style of the hotel and the architectural details.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Spent a night in February 2012. The entire room was very clean, quiet and the bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom was decent, slightly above average, water pressure & temp fine. The room furnishings & finishes were basic, if a bit worn. The ceilings were very high and the room I stayed in (lobby level room) has a beautiful huge window with heavy blackout curtains. The heater/AC worked fine and kept the room comfortable and was not unusually loud for a hotel. The only negative point to me was the lighting within the room was horrendous (Note to hotel staff: invest in compact fluorescents that rate 2700 on the color temp scale,....these are the ones that are most like incandescent bulbs, which people tend to like best. The bulbs you are using are way too high on color temp and do not create a pleasant residential type lighting). What makes this place unique and interesting is that it is an old courthouse. Check out the lobby and breakfast rooms which are grand, and be sure to sneak up to the fourth floor Chambers room which is spectacular, and is sure to have a few ghosts of former judges floating around. As an architect, I regularly stay at top rated hotels. Sure, It may not be the boutique hotel it should and could be, but I'd rather spend a night in a tired interesting grand dame than a freshly painted, featureless generic chain hotel room any day. I recommend it if you are passing through Binghamton. Because of its character, I'd rank it above average.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in August, and it had quite decent reviews. The room turned out to be quite shabby and worn. A/C was dead, and that was a hot day. But, most important, the room had bed bugs (both my wife and I got bitten when went to bed -- luckily our child was not). We've checked out immediately, and the receptionist apologized and told us that we would get full refund. However later the hotel refused to process the refund. I've started a dispute on AmEx and explained the situation to them. The hotel misrepresented to AmEx that we were offered another room and declined, also stated that they called exterminators afterwards and "they did not find any bed bugs". Stay away from these crooks...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Dmitri S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binghamton
Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Binghamton
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#8 of 13 in Binghamton
Quality Inn & Suites Binghamton
Traditions at the Glen Resort and Hotel - Binghamton/Johnson City

Been to Grand Royale Hotel? Share your experiences!