“Decent option in Bingo”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
Canada
“Decent option in Bingo”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Nice historic hotel, but expensive. Has breakfast included, but it was not very filling. Nice location downtown. Note hotel is no longer part of Clarion / Choice Hotels anymore. Rooms are a bit worn. Would stay again if in the area.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Delmar, New York
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We spent one night in this historic building that has just recently been renovated. It is centrally located in downtown Binghamton and we were able to walk to places- restaurants, bars, shopping etc. Staff were easily accessible and friendly. Would definitely stay there again. Thanks for a very nice stay at a reasonable charge.

Room Tip: We actually were on the 2nd floor near the elevator and there were several groups of people going th...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Stephenville, Texas
Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel is a landmark worth checking out. My experience with the hotel staff was very good and my stay was very comfortable. I was there for almost 2 months working flood claims, so my length of stay allowed me to observe and take in many things under different circumstances. I had the opportunity to meet and interact with everyone, from the front desk personnel at check-in, to the service staff, general manager, as well as the owner. Each and every individual was friendly, courteous and professional. There was always a pleasant environment, a welcome smile, and a kind word from each and every employee.

When you are 1700 miles from home for an extended period of time, the attention to detail each person extended made my stay at the Grand Royale a most memorable one. After the first week, I was always confident in knowing my room would be clean when I returned every day, fresh and properly cleaned with all the amenities; fresh towels(fluffy) and linens, toiletries and plenty of coffee supplies for the in-room Krupp coffee unit. And there was always plenty of hot, fresh coffee in the breakfast area at any time, day or night.
I stayed in one of the suites on the third floor facing State Street and there was plenty of room to set up an office and to allow me to spread my work files out. The free internet worked well with no problem. They have free parking in the adjacent parking garage, a free daily breakfast in the breakfast area, and a fitness room with state of the art equipment.

The Grand Royale Hotel is going through changes, which are going smoothly and progressing nicely. Walking into the new lobby area and seeing the amazing Beaux Artes architecture restored to its original state is amazing and very beautiful.

Definitely worth staying here just to see this.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Made a reservation online for my family paid in full. when we'd arrived, the innkeeper told me he hadnt noticed my reservation and he'd just given away the room, which was the last family size room, to a walk in. offered no apology. when i asked about refund, he said i'd need to take it up with Expedia and so sent my family and me merrily on our way, in the middle of the night. You know, if Mary with Child and Joseph had been looking for shelter , they probably would have chosen the stable over the 'Royale'. having seen only the dingy lobby and the fratboys filling the sidewalks , spilling out of the clubs and bars making some noise i did realize tho that a low-class college town joint is probably not where i wanted my family to stay anyway.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank SitisDaddy

Travelers are raving about these Binghamton hotels

Reviewed September 27, 2011

the rooms were bareable. the service at the front desk could be more friendly,very rude. and there was some creepy guy walking around. never going back!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank loveyou69
Albany, NY
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Did have doubts about this place, but have changed my opinion.

A good value for the room, the service definitely seems to have improved from earlier reviews, and it's a really cool building (the old Binghamton City Hall). But there were a few glitches....

Upon arrival, we were assigned a nice 2nd floor king room. When we walked in, we found two floor fans instead of a working air conditioner! Since it was nearly 90 outside and very stuffy inside, we asked to move -- and were easily accomodated by front desk staff into a 3rd floor king room. That was nice and cool (though for some reason, all the floor lamps were unplugged).

No other major issues there - bed was comfy, bathroom clean, Internet access good, room was quiet (the hotel is located opposite a strip of late-night college bars and clubs - do try to get a room opposite from them).

Also, there was a gang of 20-somethings on our floor that decided to start banging on doors at 1AM (lots of weddings in town and it was also first week of college). A call downstairs fixed that, and when we further discussed this with front desk staff the next day, they were very apologetic (they definitely had their hands full with them!).

Breakfast was standard and OK - bagels and cereal and coffee, but filling (the room itself is pretty neat). Parking is free in a hotel lot and in a city garage next door (with parking slip from hotel).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DJMAlbany_NY
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed in the 3rd floor "suite."room smelled musty and was dark. Upon check-in, staff had no personality and was not accommodating at all. When we booked the room we specifically asked if it was next to any loud clubs or anything of the sort, clearly we were lied to because there was a very loud block party going on right outside our window until 2am! I would not recommend staying here at all. Yes the historic parts of the building are neat to look at but they have basically trashed what could be a very nice hotel. Grand Royale...get a clue!

• Stayed August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binghamton
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 13 in Binghamton
Best Western Plus Of Johnson City

Been to Grand Royale Hotel? Share your experiences!