“Could have been worse...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
Watertown, New York
“Could have been worse...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

After reading all the horrible reviews of this hotel, I was quite sure I would not be spending the night here. I was actually surprised. Now for the record, this hotel is OLD and really needs updating. However, I did not find the nastiness that others had mentioned earlier. I was worried it would be dirty since we got there before check in, and I figured they'd give the room a quick once-over and call it done. You can believe I went over this room with a fine-tooth comb before I decided it was worth an overnight. The only thing even remotely on the ick factor scale was a long black hair on the bathroom floor and a few more on one of the towels. I threw the towel onto the hair and kicked it under the bathroom sink - problem solved. On the towel note, they were rather dingy, not the bright white you normally see in hotels. They weren't dirty, just not white, which was a bit of a turnoff. All in all, I was happy to find it better than reported, and had no problems sleeping there for the night. In fact, I slept quite well, and if need be, I'd do it again. Having said this, I travel quite a bit and am used to staying in hotels that cost 3-4 times more than this hotel. It was a downgrade, for sure, but you get what you pay for. The front desk staff was very friendly too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Checked in about an hour ago- When putting things away found an hypodermic needle next to the refrig.. oh the refrig ice box is big chunk of old ice. After finding the needle took it to the girl @ front desk. This poor girl was WAY over her head. Wedding event-Holiday Weekend- -full house & messes with check-in & a Friday Night with only one desk person & no other help on property. The young girl gave me cleaning supplies so I could clean our room- 3 white towels of filth- THEN... MORE... when searching our beds - one of our bed sheets at the foot area had blood on it- Tried to call front desk but the old whelmed girl could not answer the phones- Went down to speak to the clerk & she had a very long line with some upset customers- she called the manager who did not answer her call- she mentioned he'd call back- I told her when he arrives He needs to come to our room & see the blood on the sheets. ...Still waiting... I'm so grossed out!!! Drove hours for this...yuck!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank S456rich
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stopped in on our way back from NYC. Had coupon for $55.00 a night. Two VERY UNFRIENDLY girls said "Not accepting because of a dog show in town". Had coupon for Super 8, next door, they're answer... "Well u might try there". We were tired, raining cats & dog & construction on I-81 backed up for appx. 10 miles. Decided to take room @ $79.00.Got into DIRTY room, remote wasn't working, my wife went to front desk asking for batteries. Response? "Go to ur room we'll send someone to replace batteries". Well, we got batteries 70 minutes later!!!! We were totally frustrated. Bathroom, another story, mold at ceiling, drywall needed repair, floor was dirty, sticky, not cleaned in a long time. Wasn't gonna write this review, contacted Econolodge directly, said, "Thank you for ur feedback, will respond within 72 hours", i waited. NO RESPONSE. Now i'm writing this. The girls didn't care at all, "Take it or leave it attitude", BEWARE THIS econolodge!!!!! Have pictures posted, u will see bathroom. Totally disgusting.Bottom line, STAY AWAY!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were passing through Binghamton on a cross-country road trip. Since Binghamton is one of the only cities in the area we decided to stop there for the night. I had a coupon for the Econo Lodge and I assumed (incorrectly) that because it was a choice property that it would be nice, clean, just without any of the bells and whistles you would expect from a higher-end hotel. We arrived and the front desk clerk told me she would not accept my coupon because of some random regional meat and balloon festival. She said we could stay for full price but I would have to use the in-house computer to make the reservation on choicehotels.com first. The computer was filthy and disgusting. This should have told me to leave and go next door to the Super 8, but instead I paid $79 to stay in that dump.

The whole place smells like a mixture between dirty socks and dirty diapers with a hint of wet dog. The room was gross. I checked the sheets for hair and they appeared to be hair free, but the carpet and all the furniture were sticky and nasty. I barely slept as I was itchy all night. I got out of there as fast as I could, but I did look at the breakast on my way out. There was really nothing to it. An empty muffin container and piece of white bread. I wouldn't advise anyone consider this hotel! The ones downtown looked much nicer. I would pay extra to stay there instead if I had to go be in Binghamton overnight.

Room Tip: No room is a good room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham C
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

When you walk down the hallway the air dramatically changes near the back of the property - musty and old - this smell continues into the guest rooms. Internet doesn't work, claek at the desk in the morning had problems (she said it happens all the time). This is a list of what was wrong in my room and Britany at the desk had a "don't care" attitute, take it or leave it. Bathroom floor and trim of door was dirty, abandoned heat lamp in bath ceiling (hole), mirror boroken, electrical outlet had a broben piece of metal sticking out, room door is filled with old hardware holes, inn keepers act (metal) was bent, iron board cover ripped, carpet dirty, fabric chairs stained, furniture scratch and gouged, night stand drawer was used as an ashtray, smell of smoke...geee is that enough??? Don't stay at this property, spend another $50 and stay at the Mariott. I was really dissapointed that I put myself in this sitiuation - horrible stay

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first, choose one near the desk, back rooms smell musty (pool?)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert H
New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Apparently we were more fortunate than other recent reviewers. We were pleasantly surprised with our room. It was clean, larger than expected, the bed was comfortable, a/c worked fine, bathroom was fine.
Breakfast was what you would expect from a budget hotel: bagels, toast, cereal, juice & coffee. That wasn't a problem, we didn't plan to eat their breakfast anyway. It was good to have the refrigerator and microwave in the room since we had leftovers from dinner each night that became a decent breakfast each morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

In my 25 years of staying at hotels, I have never given a bad review. Well, there's always a first! My husband and I had great luck at another chain on our way to Massachusettes. However, heading back home to Pennsylvania we decided (unfortunately) to stay at the Econo Lodge in Binghamton. We were pretty exhausted when we stopped. Had a coupon but was told at the front desk that they weren't accepting coupons "tonight". It was a Friday and nowhere on the coupon did it say this. However, it did say "per availability", so I thought...okay, fine. Paid for the room and then my husband and I drove around and walked up the steps to our 2nd floor room. The first thing we noticed was a very stale, moldy smell in the hallways and how dim it was. We opened the door to our room and noticed that the room had not been touched since the previous occupant had left. The person(s) even left their room key on the desk so we thought perhaps the room was already occupied. The housekeeper (who didn't speak English) stopped in and we came to some sort of understanding that it would be cleaned if we would leave for a bit. We said okay. We were to return in 15 minutes. We went outside and waited. When we went to reenter the building my key card did not work. I tried it six times and it turned red each time. Highly perturbed at this point, I walked around to the registration office and explained the situation. Room dirty, key card not working. The front desk person was polite enough. She walked upstairs with us (actually walked about 15 feet ahead of us) and we could see that the room had been cleaned (but still hair all over the bathroom I saw later). She rekeyed our card also and it worked fine after that. Anyone with breathing problems should stay away. We had a "non-smoking" room and I kept the a.c. on, but still needed to use my inhaler and my husband was stuffy and sneezing. The moldy sell was EVERYWHERE. Breakfast is a joke. The room is so small that you bump into everyone and there were only 3 or 4 small tables with people jammed in. We got our coffee and headed back to our room. Needless to say, we could not wait to get back on the road and head home. With so many other choices in that area, we will never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binghamton
Comfort Inn
Grand Royale Hotel
Grand Royale Hotel
#9 of 13 in Binghamton
Red Roof Inn Binghamton - Johnson City

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!