“Nice and clean hotel”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
Vaughan, Canada
“Nice and clean hotel”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Got it with Priority Club points, so can't really say if it is worth the money if paying out of my pocket. But the hotel is well equipped and good for night sleep. We arrived at Christmas Eve, so it was quite deserted. The staff on duty were chit-chatting among themselves, not being busy. The location is ok, not too far away from freeway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 28, 2011

All in all it isnt bad. The lobby is very nice, the restaurant is excellent. The pool is nicely maintained and Im not disappointed at all just it could be so much more with some updating to the rooms.

i was originally on the first floor but had an air conditioner that was dripping on the floor and the entire carpet in that area was soaked. Guest services gladly put me in another room which turned out great since my old room had an old crt tv and this one of the 5th floor has a nice LG flat screen.

Other than just some maintenance needing done and updating is really needed to the rooms its a nice hotel. It is surely a busy one with some long wait times at the counter at times if you need a key or something. The restaurant has some excellent burgers and there are some real nice places to eat within walking distance. Parking is a little tough and hard to come by at times.

Oh and wifi is pretty solid, getting excellent speeds speed though did have some problems with the connection dropping for a few hours yesterday. Housekeeping dose a great job too, I am highly impressed with them so far.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Thank you for the comments regarding my hotel here in Binghamton. Apologies for the wet carpet on the 1st floor as the room should have been taken out of order. I am happy to state we finally have all our flat screens and they will be in all the rooms in the near future. Guests like you have told us over and over again in today's world you need to have flat screens!

Bob Greene
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We came to binghamton for a wedding and most of the guests were also staying at the Holiday Inn. Overall, the hotel was pretty nice - it had a great lobby, very friendly staff, a good bar, plentiful parking and a nice walkway on the river as well. Also, the hotel allows dogs so we were able to bring our pup with us on our trip, which is a huge bonus and big time cost saver for us. You can walk your dog around the hotel, even late at night as it's well lit and there are plenty of trash cans around for the obvious purposes. The bed was very comfy and they give you a selection of pillows, depending on your preference (eg: firm or soft). The staff was also very lovely and gave us an early check in then a late check out which was much needed due to the overindulgence of the evening before.

Having said all that, i have two not so great things to say, one major and one minor. My major complaint is that we paid extra for a suite (so as to have some extra room for us and our dog to roam around) and we got a really dingy, dark room on a low floor with a tv from approximately 1988. I'm not even entirely sure that you can call the room a "suite" - the layout of the room was bizarre. It was a big L shaped room without a separate living room (which is what we were promised when we booked the room) - there was a huge walk in closet that you have to walk through to a tiny bathroom which is about a third of the size of the bathroom (?), which was not exactly amenable to getting ready for the evening (luckily my husband takes a lot less time in the bathroom than me). My second gripe (which perhaps others might consider major) is that the hotel has breakfast and dinner, but NO LUNCH (not even room service). As such, we wandered around for nearly an hour on a sunday afternoon before we finally found a place that was open and serving food (good thing we got that late check out!). It just seems a bit weird that the hotel doesn't have a lunch since there is nowhere nearby to have lunch either (at least, not on sundays).

Room Tip: either book in advance or confirm when you check in about this stuff
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KatGD
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This hotel is located downtown. The lobby is brand new and has a high end look. The restaurant overlooks the river and has great food. The room was renovated and is very nice. All employees go out of there way to please. This hotel has the new holiday inn look. You will not go wrong staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank 123NewYork
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed here due to a softball tournament in July. Good thing was that julyfest was going on downtown and that was nice; however, the hotel itself definitely lacked on our first night.

Needs attention to detail!! The bathroom toilet was soiled as were the sheets. There was no washcloths, the remote didn't work, only one trashcan and the air conditioner never ever shut off :(

Luckily, after requesting the needed items, the front desk delivered washcloths, but even my young daughter said the hotel was awful.

Holiday Inn has been around since I was a young child and you would think they would know how to keep a budget hotel in decent shape.

I wouldn't stay here again....

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank espalier
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here during our softball tournament weekend. I am sorry that you experienced housekeeping issues during your stay. If the tournament comes back to Binghamton again, please call me directly so I may make up for the problems you had this time. Bob Greene, General Manager 607-722-1212.
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We booked a suite for a family wedding. I was underwhelmed.

It's not BAD, but it seems kind of half-updated. Fake leather chairs which look ok, but the walls look dingy. Little things, like old tv sets sitting on granite desktops, seems like they sort of half----- a renovation. The battery compartment on the tv remote is held on with a band-aid. I'm sure it's a clean one... But you would think a staff member would have seen it while cleaning and thought, "Hey, that's not appropriate; let me fix that."

One of our doors to our room was broken, and maintenance basically told us that people dont usually use it, but he could come back later if we wanted him to. We told him to forget it; that we wouldn't use it, either.

On the way back upstairs after the wedding, I asked if they had room service for breakfast. The man at the desk said yes, that it was in the binder in my room. I told him that we didn't have a binder; he told me to check again and then call down if I still couldn't find it. Ok. So I checked again and, of course, had to call down.

Someone came up with a door-hanger breakfast menu, but no binder. Ok again. I checked off two continental breakfasts, and hung it on the door at 11:15pm (needed to be hung by 2).

I got up a little early and got dressed and waited for our breakfast. And waited. And waited. Finally, I went to the door. A staff member was kind enough to leave us a bill, but no one ever took the breakfast-order-hanger. I called down, and they offered to come up and get it... I asked if I could just place the order. Sure. No problem. But they don't actually have continental breakfasts for room service (one of the TWO choices on the hanger). Fine. So I improvised.

Nothing terrible... But they had so many opportunities to provide good service, and just never really did. Not rude, but made me feel like wanting a menu was something met with a sigh and disappointed nod.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ars111
We appreciate hearing feedback from our guests so thank you for taking that time. It would seem to me there were many instances during your stay when the staff had the opportunity to WOW you. It seems every time we didn't take the time to do so. As the General Manager, I take these circumstances very much to heart and fully intend to discover why there was opportunity for service neglected. Bob Greene, General Manager.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Stayed here on a golf package booked with Hiawatha Landing. Past reviews do not do it justice.Had a small mix up with the original room assignment (was given a double room vice a king). Front desk corrected this immediately, no hassle. Very clean, great bed, great view and location (try the burgers at Dillinger's). Staff was always helpful and the hot breakfast buffet was complete. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
BGMAR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you for your nice comments when you visited my hotel for your golf outing. The feedback we hear from the golfers is so important as they are a big part of our summer business. I hope if your travels bring you back this way again, you decide to stay with us again. Please stop in and say hello. Bob Greene General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binghamton
DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Grand Royale Hotel
Grand Royale Hotel
#10 of 13 in Binghamton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal

Been to Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown? Share your experiences!