“very good”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Greater Binghamton's Quintessential Steakhouse Since 1978
Reviewed March 16, 2013

It's restaurant week in Binghamton NY. A special 3 course menu with limited but very good options was available. The first course options were French onion soup, a watermelon salad, and stuffed mushrooms. I had better onion soup but it was good. My friend tried the watermelon salad and did not enjoy the greens. The main course of p.a.n.c.o. (sorry computer wants to auto correct to panic) crusted tuna was excellent as was the smashed squash. Friend enjoyed the scallops. Dessert for me was the bread pudding, very good. Friend oddly chose the frosting shooters which is about 1 tbs of three different types of frosting. Not my cup of tea but she enjoyed it. We each had a soft drink.
As it is restaurant week the bill was about $60 plus tip.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

When you enter Number 5, you know that they know what they are doing. The service is the best there is. the staff is attentive and responsive. They anticipate what you need without being intrusive in any way. The food is as good as the service, and though pricey, it's the place to go if you're looking to impress your wife. It's definitely worth the money and you'll leave feeling as if you mattered. Thank you, Number 5.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Often times when dining I will try the "special" for it usually is excellent. In this case I think the "special" was to get rid of poor quality meat for my Tenderloin was tough, grisly and way undercooked per my request. This was a special occasion for which I was excited to take my spouse (her first time) and I was very disappointed with my dinner. Service and wait staff were excellent but I won't travel the 75 miles to eat here again.Price was also too much for that "special"!

1  Thank Insurancecooperstown
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Celebrated a birthday with a visit to good ol' Number 5. We sat downstairs to enjoy the slightly higher level of energy in the air near the bar, but upstairs is quieter for those that want to feel more secluded. We started by taking advantage of their special of half off a bottle of wine under a hundred dollars, so we got a nice Shiraz. The bread and butter came out and was fresh. Then we split a crabcake for our appetizer - it was superb. $15 is a lot for one crabcake though. I had a caprese salad, and althogh it came out with not as many basil leaves as I like, they certainly fixed that situation by bringing out more. For my entree I had a Greek tenderloin medium rare. It was huge and tender, and although I thought it was just a "touch" towards rare, I didn't mind because it tasted so good, and ate the whole thing! My husband sent his strip steak back having also ordered his medium rare, and they took care of it perfectly - it wasn't overdone as a result. Plus a new side of potatoes came back with it. The waitress said they tended to cook on the rare side of doneness, but I wonder if that is true or if she said that as a way to assure my husband was ok in asking for it to be cooked more.
We finished up with dessert. My creme brulee was tasty, although the custard wasn't as chilled as I've had other places, and my husband said his carrot cake was not as good as mine (cake OR frosting), which is why I never order carrot cake in a restaurant!
The service was flawless.
Although the food was really good, it did seem like the $180 we spent was a bit much, and remember that included a half-price bottle of already relatively cheap wine. There are other places I'd just as soon spend my money where the food is just as good and not as expensive. Good thing we had a gift card to use!
Oh, they asked if it was a special occasion, which it was, but other than saying "Happy Birthday", nothing else was done. That seemed odd.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have been driving almost 60 miles to eat at the Number 5 for over 25 years.
There food is outstanding and the service is great. I would highly recommed this place for a wonderful dining experience or a special occasion.