“Weekly brunch favorite”

The Loft at Ninety Nine
Ranked #23 of 216 Restaurants in Binghamton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Loft at 99 is a casual fine dining restaurant with great food and a relaxing big-city vibe.
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The house made greek yogurt accompanied with fresh fruit tossed with lemon juice and fresh mint is delightful. Drunken Noodles are my absolute favorite. Mimosas are my second. The coffee is usually excellent considering I like it strong and as a whole we are rarely disappointed. We also bring our 9 year old who loves the fresh fruit plate and Beignets. I personally love beignets and frequent Cafe Du Monde Cafe in New Orleans so if you have as well you will probably be disappointed with the execution of these. However If you have never had a true beignet you will likely love this plate as it is accompanied by two lovely sauces (one chocolate, one fruit compote). Overall when we think Sunday Brunch in Binghamton, I think Cafe 99. Staff and manager are always very pleasant and attentive.

1  Thank Alex_nez

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This space is beautiful! Comfortable decor, pleasing to the eye. Great place to have a glass of wine even though their selection by the glass is limited. If you would like an interesting cocktail this may be a great place. I do not partake in them. As a restaurant that provides delicious food and a good value they miss the mark. The food was quite average at best and for the price I feel a poor value. The Chef's Special- Scallops at $32? I do not mind paying for a great dish. The portion was excellent, the execution was subpar. The combination of fresh, large sea scallops with butternut squash had the potential for a great fall dish. The addition of honey seemed interesting especially for the squash... in my opinion questionable for the scallops. In both cases it was... perfect for the squash and not for the scallops. The food lacked flavor, spark, appeal and batted 500 in presentation. Scallops nice... Pork poor...The pork portion was unappealing. For a starter we had the mussels, they were not enjoyable and tasted like they were not fresh. The pork lacked any flavor at all and was quite greasy on the plate. It was covered with a huge portion of brussel sprouts that lacked flavor. I would recommend to the kitchen that they use some spices or herbs to provide a distinctive flavor. Even though the reviews were average at best we decided to try the Loft. On this our first experience we will were not satisfied. We will give it another opportunity because we want it to succeed. If they can execute in the kitchen and provide a great value with tasty cuisine, coupled with professional, unpretentious service then they will be a great addition to the Binghamton dining scene. At this point they are not.

2  Thank djack7
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We went to enjoy a nice and relaxing evening at the Loft for my fathers birthday. It had a genuine and appealing atmosphere. The waitress was quite friendly as well. We ordered our meals from the special menu hoping for the best, and quite frankly expecting it. I recieved an apppetizer which was nice, although it took quite a long time to come out, perhaps 30 minutes. Next, my father recieved their appetizers. My brothers Ahi tuna was cooked ok, and had a nice flavor, but my fathers chicken was raw! I was immediately starrled that a restuarant of this stature could serve raw chicken, and returned it. The manager took it back but offered my dad another chicken after he had recieved a raw serving. Later I recieved my entre, which was a grilled salmon. It looked alright, but when I tried the fish it tasted unbarebly bitter and has no flavor. I was disgusted and shared it with the rest of my family, whom were disgusted as well. I returned the salmon stating that it was practicly unedible. They took it back, but the manager frantically came over to the table complaining that the salmon was perfect, and that we just didnt have the "aquired taste." He also stated that the chicken was only undercooked, not raw! He then asked us if we'de like to take the salmon home with us because he couldnt take it off our bill!! After that my dad complained and he simply told us not to come back!!!!!!! The manager was incredibly rude and should not have argued with us after we had such an unpleasent experience with the food. I would not recommend this restuarant unless you like raw chicken, bitter fish, and an unfriendly manager!! I only hope now that i dont get sick...

6  Thank Binghamtontraveler
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I wish I could say more, but my experience was average and that's about it. Food was ok. Service was ok. Value was ok.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Loft was one of my favorite places to visit before the great pipe burst of 2012 which caused its doors to be closed for 6 months and for the place to come into new ownership. I was genuinely sad I had to wait so long it to reopen but was so excited when they finally did.

I don't know if I over-hyped myself, but I was certainly disappointed with the new experience. The menu isn't what it used to be with the removal of one of my favorite items, the risotto du jour. It may be back later since their current "New Immigrant Menu" is a summer menu. "New Immigrant Menu" sounds offensive, but I don't think it is, it's just an odd name.

We started with drinks which were quite good and an appetizer of frittes with 5 dipping sauces. I'm not sure what happened in the 6 months it was closed, but the sauces (which were my favorite experience from the past) were not very good. The cheese fondue was very milky and runny and not "cheesy" at all. The others tasted rather bland (with the exception of the Curry Ketchup which was still spot on).

Although pricey, all our entrees were excellent. I had the ribeye and it was cooked pretty much spot on. All the others enjoyed their meals as well. My only complaint about my meal is that it lacked a vegetable for balance on my plate. A side salad to accompany the entree could be used too.

We had dessert as well which is rare since I don't like dessert. I guess it was fine. My mother seemed to really enjoy the beignets.

When we went to pay, we had a coupon for $8 off. The owner came by and said since its new ownership, he doesn't except them. That's conveniently free advertising in the coupon book. Our bill was probably $130 so to not take the $8 off is dumb. It makes the atmosphere awkward and leaves me with the impression that the new place has poor service. This has changed my opinion on the place and makes me feel like I am in no rush to return.

In summary, I think if you're new to restaurant and haven't experienced the way it used to be run, you'll love this place. It's like the old way is the "book" and this new place is the "movie". The book's always better than the movie if you've read the book, but the movie is quite good for anyone who hasn't read the book.

1  Thank Timmace