“Definitely OK”

DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Good clean room, fairly priced. The experience may have been a bit better but for the sparse amenities, like a substanard continental (though free!) breakfast and a severely understocked convenience counter.

• Stayed: October 2011
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton

Reviewed October 30, 2011

My stay at the Riverwalk was average, and as far as comfort, convenience, and amenities, I would rank it comparable to an Econo Lodge or Best Western. For the price I paid I was expecting a whole lot more than what I got, but what really ruined the stay for me was the unfriendly lobby staff. When I first arrived at the hotel, there were three people behind the desk, and even though there was no one else waiting, it took them several minutes to stop their personal conversation and acknowledge my group. When one of the women finally turned to help us, she didn't smile or say hello, and was very brusque when checking us in. Later I went back to ask for some direction, and again I had to wait for the employees to finish chatting with each other before I was helped. The next day when there were no guests in the lobby, I asked an older woman behind the desk to take a group picture of us. She said she didn't like taking pictures, and waved another man over and asked him to take the picture, but apparently he didn't like taking pictures either because he called another girl to come over to take the picture. She glared at us the entire time and acted as though I had asked her to cut off her arm instead of take a picture. Everyone I encountered at the desk had attitudes dripping with disdain, and I have never felt so unwelcome. The Riverwalk would benefit from either re-training their staff in the ways of customer service and hospitality, or hiring a fresh new staff with better personalities. In today's day and age no business can survive without good customer service.

If I ever need a hotel in this area again, the Riverwalk will not be an option for me. The Hampton Inn is much more affordable, the rooms and relaxing and comfortable, and the employees are genuinely friendly and work to make your stay special.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Riverwalk twice in the past few months, once before the Hurricane Lee flooding and once afterwards. Each time I was arriving on a busy, heavily booked weekend, and called for reservations both times (the second time I actually got a rate less than what their "best available rate" online quoted me). Riverwalk is in a central location to downtown Binghamton arenas and events, but if you are planning to book a hotel for events relating to the University know that it is a bit of a drive.

I must commend the staff for how they handled the hotel after the hurricane. The lower floor of the hotel (not the lobby, but a floor that leads to conference rooms and the parking lot) was flooded and closed during our stay, but the hotel was trying its best to accommodate for the damage. When I checked in and received our room key, we went to our room and discovered it had not been cleaned--empty beer cans everywhere! Apparently the cleaning staff had been marking down rooms as cleaned when they had not been, and the front desk staff immediately apologized and gave us a new room.

The room furnishings are dated and the bathroom is only adequate, but the beds are comfortable (and I absolutely loved the bedding, full down-alternative comforters, none of those tacky hotel blankets here!) Check-out was at a reasonable time, and the staff were very courteous.

The Riverwalk still has a long way to go in terms of being an excellent hotel--updates should be made to the rooms and hallways, plus all the damage done from the flooding--but it is still a decent, comfortable hotel for a very good price. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Ok, to be fair we stayed in the hotel after the town had flooded, so I expected some issues. But I was less than pleased with the room that we stayed in that was "recently updated". The work was shoddy & the amenities were non-existent. The gym & pool were closed due to flood damage, so we were referred to the local YMCA. When we got there, we were told the agreement with the hotel was cancelled weeks prior. The breakfast in the hotel may have been good if they had refilled the food at the buffet, but we ended up with a couple pieces of toast & 2 scrambled eggs for 5 people. And when the coffee ran out, that was the clincher. Aside from the location, which was really quite nice, it was a sub par stay. I've stayed in much nicer hotels for much less. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tmmoore52
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed for one night at this hotel - very nice room (6th floor) everything was brand new - renovations still ongoing but did not affect our stay - staff at check-in not too friendly and seemed not to care about their guests. When I booked the room, it said free continental breakfast included. Boy, what a joke that was!! consisted of a few mini muffins, only one kind, some danish cut in halves, coffee and orange juice set up on the bar outside the dining room.

A bit dissappointed since I felt it was false advertising. Should not even bother to mention this when booking. Overall I would say nice place to stay - not much to do in area -

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is going to be a very nice hotel someday. Renovations are in progress. The lobby and restaurant are quite nice. The room I stayed in was not one of the renovated ones, but it was clean and quite big. Also had a flat screen TV and the bedding was updated. The AAA rate of $99 was almost half the cost of the Holiday Inn down the street. Good value, give it a try. I will definitely stay there again, though I'm hoping for an updated room next time!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We book with this hotel because we were attending a wedding, so we received a great rate. Received great service at check in and was able to get into our room right away. Had 2 beds and a nice view of the river. The size was big and the bathroom was nice with Bath and Body products. The morning free breakfast was kind of small, only small pastries, coffee, and orange juice. They do have buffet if you need a full breakfast for a fee. Very quiet,and clean and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binghamton
Holiday Inn Binghamton - Hawley St/Downtown
Comfort Inn
#5 of 13 in Binghamton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal
Hampton Inn & Suites Binghamton / Vestal

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton? Share your experiences!