“Okay hotel now, will be very nice hotel soon”

DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Binghamton
California
“Okay hotel now, will be very nice hotel soon”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This hotel has a very nice lobby, friendly front desk staff, and a great health center all at a very reasonable price when compared to other Binghamton hotels. On the downside, the rooms are pretty tired except for the flat screen TVs. My room had furniture that looked like it was around 20 years old and there were tile cracks in my bathroom. That being said, the rooms were clean and offered a nice view of the river.

Do not expect much from the free continental breakfast. It is "free" and is not a full bacon and eggs breakfast.

I was torn between giving this place 3 stars but the friendly staff, the reasonable price, and the fact that I don't think there is a new nice hotel alternative in Binghamton makes me give this place 4 stars. When they complete all the renovations they claim they will, this place will be a solid 4 stars.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor with a river view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I stayed at the Riverwalk Hotel last May when I went for a golf trip with some buddies of mine. I really appreciated this hotel. It was clean,comfortable and the staff was nice. Food at the restaurant was very good, specially the breakfast. It has been renovated and was still getting upgraded when we were there. I definitely would recommend it and would stay there again myself.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The hotel is under renovation as part of the new ownership so I will not go into detail about the rooms. You can read other reviews for opinions on their progress. Without knowing where they are in the process, I would only say that for my stay (I was there a few days for a small trade show) the bedding & towels in my room all appeared new. The new TV's were also installed earlier in the week of my visit. There was nothing said about upgrading the poor channel lineup but I’m hoping that will be part of the process. For now, the room is sparsely decorated. No refrigerator or microwave. The lack of a desk and convenient outlets make business work a chore. The wireless internet service was more than adequate. As stated in other opinions, the air conditioners in the room are old and quite noisy. You have to turn the TV up when they kick in and of course, it’s now too loud when the air turns off.
With that said, there are some basic procedures of the hotel that hopefully are on the list to be addressed since new carpeting and fixtures cannot solve everything. Upon entering the hotel one notices the professional looking lobby but upon entering the room, it is apparent that corners are being cut in housekeeping. The carpet in my room was badly in need of vacuuming. It became a game to strategically place the trash can near spots to make it evident however the maid never picked up on it. Also, the dresser had been moved for the installation of the new TV which revealed a quarter inch of dust behind. Finally on my last day she decided to vacuum. She did however promptly replace the moldy shower curtain once I left a note to that effect. (A business associate also mentioned their room was in the same condition). I mentioned to the desk clerk that the toilet was in need of adjustment however that was never taken care of. Apart from the carpet, the room was clean, especially the bathroom fixtures which were very clean. One personnel gripe though that many hotels have long abandoned: The ice bucket, coffee maker and glasses (un-wrapped on top of it) still being stored in the bathroom. I'll pass on using any of those.
Down to the lobby in the morning: no complementary newspapers. A staple in business hotels. As mentioned in other reviews; simple donuts and juice make up the complimentary breakfast. A full breakfast is a paid event and be prepared to wait as they are slow staffed. Again, breakfasts have become standard even in the mid-grade hotels and buffet style allows you to control your schedule but that’s not the case here. For the evening, the lounge is advertised as open till 10 but it is long closed by then so be prepared to venture out in the evening. (The usually downtown type area with mainly bars open at night. But don’t walk north unless you want to see the seedy side of the area). I did not try the restaurant for dinner however I was told by a number of people that the food is quite good albeit with the usually hotel pricing. Don’t expect coffee in the lobby (another staple at most of the competition). The business center has a laptop with scanner and printer however, since Microsoft Office is not installed you are limited to basic web surfing. The front desk personnel are very professional in dress and manner however not overly friendly. I am not sure if this hotel has an affiliation as there is no noticeable signage but the newly issued key cards for the Garden level parking entrance did say Best Western (although this location is not mentioned on their web-site). Shuttle service is spotty. My flight was delayed and I was not able to retrieve a rental car. I called and was told there was no one available in the evening for the shuttle and they said to call a cab which they did offer to pay for (though no mention of that upon arrival). The next day however they did provide service back to the airport. Final note: I know some people like to use the stairs for exercise instead of the elevator. Use the North stairs which exits into the lobby. The south stairs will exit you into the back area of the kitchen with no signage on which way out. A tacky and glaring error and possibly a hazard in an emergency.
If my choice was based on an event stay similar to the one I was at, I would probably give it one more try to see the results of the remodel but if you’re looking for basic business amenities, you are probably better off elsewhere (tho choices are limited). They are just not geared for business. It’s a shame as they could have the segment to themselves with very little effort due to limited high-end competition. But in either case, I hope the housekeeping policies are addressed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank MrBigTraveler
boogie87, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
As General Manager of the Binghamton Riverwalk Hotel, I personally want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments have been shared with our staff and serves as a reminder that we need to be more diligent when cleaning and checking rooms. All your concerns regarding the overnight rooms are part of the scheduled makeovers that include: new Furniture, Carpets, Heating/AC units, Window Treatments and all the extra amenities. In the short 8 months of new ownership, we have completely redesigned and renovated all Conference rooms, Ballrooms, Restaurant & Lounge, Front Desk, Lobby, including a new state of the art Athletic Club Pool & Spa. In addition, we added a beautiful outdoor Garden Terrace. In progress, is the near completion of our new Auditorium/Lecture hall and a new Business Center that will better serve our Corporate travelers..

I appreciated your positive comments as well, and that you are willing to return to see the final results. I am confident you will not be disappointed and that the Binghamton Riverwalk will be the hotel of your choice.

Bud Nolan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed one night during a really long road trip. I called from the road and received a very welcomed reception, thorough information about accommodations, and exact directions. The reservationist even asked me if I had AAA to get a better room rate. The price was much less than the other hotels in the area, and if you can overlook the work in progress (carpets to be replaced, etc.), this is a really nice place to stay. The room was clean and the beds comfy. The one disappointment was the restaurant and continental breakfast, but we ate the regular breakfast buffet. If you have time, explore the river walk and area. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the river view on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We typically stay at Traditions at the Glen, but they were sold out so we decided to give the new owners a chance. The lobby area is beautiful, but room renovation has just begun. Our room was very clean, which is more important to me than recently decorated. The air conditioner unit was really loud; I got the room really cold and then had to shut it off so I could sleep. The bed linens and bath towels were very nice. The continental breakfast was meager. Didn't get to the fitness center and the pool closed at 9:00 p.m. so we couldn't use that either. We'll definitely return, but I hope they improve the breakfast and get some rooms renovated, which would take care of the air conditioner problem.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2011

After being on a long drive from NYC, we decided to find a hotel for the night. I read the reviews for the riverwalk hotel and was impressed, so I decided to give it a shot. When I called and got informed about their very affordable prices, my family and I decided this was the place for us. Once I walked into my room I immediately noticed how spacious it was. (We got the king suite, and I honestly imagined it being crammed, but I was very wrong.) The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. The bathroom was equipped with 4 fluffy towels, hand towels, and wash cloths. Also, I was very impressed that their soap, shampoo, etc was bath & body works brand. The room has a huge window, that doesnt really overlook anything interesting but just having that big window was pretty cool. Other little things that the room has is a coffee pot with coffee and condiments (with fancy little glass coffee cups), a blow dryer, an iron and ironing board. Also, the fitness center and pool are definitely a plus. Im absolutely pleased with this place and if I was ever in the area again this would be the place id choose to stay

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank lyndsey614
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Clean rooms, decent restaurant and nice athletic center. Free breakfast in the morning consisted of tiny donuts and coffee. We expected more for the breakfast. We ended up buying breakfast in their restaurant and it was really yummy. The vegetarian omelet was great.

We had dinner the night before. Service was painfully slow. One waiter on duty. He seemed overwhelmed and exhausted. Food however was really good. Wish we had just ordered room service.

I would stay here again, since there really aren't many options.

Room Tip: We had a queen room with two beds. fine for what we needed.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cena1153
Also consider these accommodations in or near Binghamton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Binghamton
Comfort Inn
#5 of 13 in Binghamton
Hampton Inn & Suites Binghamton / Vestal
Homewood Suites by Hilton Binghamton/Vestal

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Binghamton? Share your experiences!