“Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness!”

Peekamoose Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Big Indian
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Geneva, Switzerland
“Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Do not miss this restaurant. Make a pilgrimage just to dine at this restaurant. It is that good.

Perched unassumingly by the side of a Catskills highway, outside a small town, this sprawling country house features a lovely, large patio that I assume is conducive to summer dining and relaxation. I also passed through a very cosy looking bar.

We visited as a family of ten, ranging from age 11-71, to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday. Glancing through a window while waiting at the hostess stand, my nephew and I commented that the darling fireplace-lit room with the salvaged wood candelabra couldn't possibly be for us. But it was.

The menu changes regularly and features seasonal ingredients, mainly locally sourced, from what I could tell. The wine list is unpretentious, and we settled on a nice French white and a California red. Our glasses were topped up and tended regularly. Others ordered from a strong list of craft brews. While we were drooling over the menu, desperately trying to choose, little foccacia rolls kept tumbling out with herb-laced pale winter butter. I can personally attest to the deliciousness of wood-grilled squid, an unexpected pleasure this far from the sea. Dinner offerings were diverse and held multiple temptations. With expert advice from the kind and unceasingly knowledgeable and attentive staff, we had chicken with cardamom jus and jerusalem artichokes, striped bass, roasted root vegetables, ribs, steak, wild mushroom risotto... and to a person, we were delighted. Desserts were nice - and Mom's came with a sparkler - but could use a little more tartness, in the case of the apple cake, which was served with mint ice cream. The doughnut with (I think) a berry ice cream was a true hit, as was a chocolate cake.

Topping this off, the side patio featured a beautiful winter fire, roasting sticks, and marshmallows for youngsters (and me), provided we were supervised. (There is even a children's room!)

The real pleasures at Peekamoose are the inviting setting, understated and smoothly rustic decor, knowledgeable and welcoming staff, and a clear love for and understanding of food. Devilishly delicious and delightful.

• Visited February 2014
madzilla23, Owner at Peekamoose Restaurant, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
What a lovely and beautifully written review! We are incredibly flattered by your kind words and have shared your experience with our team. It's reviews like this that make us love what we do even more! Thank you and we hope to see you around our table again soon!

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
“Most delicious and most romantic suprise of our Catskills trip”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Everything was just awesome! Service, food, ambience, the bar area, the outdoor waiting area with fireplace... not one bad word. Thank you! We will be back!

• Visited September 2013
Wyckoff, New Jersey
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our dinner at Peekamoose. The atmosphere was excellent, beautiful beautiful restaurant! The fire pit for sitting around roasting marshmellows after dinner was so nice ( although they did run out of marshmellows and it wasn't even very late in evening). We took our 3 young children (ages 5-9) as it did say it was family friendly and this was true. The food was good.... some items better than others. The kids meals were great and they enjoyed them. We had the 12 ingredient chop salad which was good but not great. The winter squash soup which was great and the eggplant and ricotta appetizer which came out luke warm and I personally thought was not a stand out... Would not order again. My husband and I both had the scallops which again were good but not outstanding. For derssert we had chocolate ice cream which was great and the chocolate ganache cake with caramel sauce and whip cream which was ok but nothing special. Overall I would say everything was good but there were no standouts... Nothing that I feel like I can't wait to go back and have again. The staff was nice and service was NOT slow as other reviews had on their visit. It was a Saturday night and restaurant was full but all went smoothly.

• Visited February 2014
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
“A True Gem Hidden in the Catskills”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a weekend in the Catskills and as in past years, we made sure to stop in and dine at the Peekamoose. This was our fourth dining experience here and we have never been disappointed. I really can't comment on much of the menu because I keep ordering the short ribs (lol)! Marybeth (the owner) is always seen hustling around the restaurant helping diners and our waitress this time (Margaret) was a pleasure to speak with as she answered any questions we had regarding the menu. A great dining experience, as always.

• Visited January 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Peekamoose is a magical experience.”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We discovered the Peekamoose several years before we re-located to the Hudson Valley. The first time we ate there was one of the most memorable dining experiences we've ever had. Every detail was enchanting: the service, the food, the setting, all addressed with comfortable yet top-notch attention to detail.

After moving to the area, in spite of the rich array of wonderful restaurants in the Hudson Valley, the Peekamoose became our go-to place for special occasions and visits from friends. Never once have we been disappointed.

After getting to know the chef, Devin Mills, and his wife, Marybeth Mills, we learned that their mission is NOT to re-create the hype-laden 5-star scene they'd left back in the city - but instead they strive to offer a family-friendly, delicious and unique laid-back vibe in the Catskills. Mission accomplished.

Marybeth oversees the smooth operation, allowing the gifted chef, Devin, to pursue his art in the kitchen. Try the housemade charcuterie board with its beef pastrami and caper berries for first-hand confirmation that he loves what he does. It's hard to veer from the perfect buttery gnocchi, but the caramelized scallops with roasted fennel and prosciutto are a tie for masterly flavorful entrees. The signature 12 ingredient chopped salad is a meal in itself, or perfect as a starter. Be sure to enjoy an after dinner cocktail, coffee or tea - because the beverages are devised and served with as much care and expertise as the food.

For a fun, lively meal, eat in the Tap Room. Sit at the bar and chat with the friendliest bartender in the area! Your kids will be entertained in the lush playroom, and you're all welcome to sit around the bonfire with the mountains behind you, toasting s'mores.

• Visited November 2013