“An Artisan gem”

Peekamoose Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Big Indian
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
McLean, Virginia
“An Artisan gem”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The fun about traveling is the occasional discovery of a true gem.
This time it was a restaurant in the middle of nowhere, 18 miles west of Woodstock on route 28.
Following my oldest son's suggestion the three of us arrived for a dinner that will rank as one of the best of all time.
Decor 9: Artsy, intimate, little too dark for a person that likes to see his food, great outdoors, a wood burning open fire place at the front garden and a great bar.
Service 10: In par with the best
Food 9, for taste, 10 for quality.
Here the gem part: It is all home grown. The star for me was the corned beef, part of the bar menu, that was produced by the owners and even being a tad over cooked, was worth by it self, the visit.
As the menu changes daily we found the rest of the meal memorable especially the short ribs.
Concept 10 plus: Natural Artisan ingredients, defined taste, refined selection, in total harmony with the soul. American food has arrived and so the Peekamoose patrons in record numbers.

1 Thank john p

Bedminster, New Jersey
“Great food, NYC prices”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We came here on a recommendation from friends who regularly ski in the area. What a fantastic menu, which changes daily depending on what's available at local farms, which Peekamoose supports. Nice drink menu as well, although our white sangria was quite potent. Fresh hot bread is served prior to each meal. The watermelon gazpacho was to die for as was their famous potato gnocchi. We had reservations on a Saturday night, although we saw others without res's get seated - I guess it depends how busy they are. My only complaint was that I was too stuffed to try one of their desserts - but I will when I return. Prices were high for the area, but worth it for the food!

1 Thank YayeMama
New York City, New York
“If you're in the area, you really should go, and won't be sorry (but might need reservations)”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Everything from service to food to beverages and dessert are super...we've been here a dozen times or so over the past 3 years and have never been disappointed. This summer however, we skipped the reservation drill and got there early enough to sit in the bar, which is a lovely space and was recently expended to include a cozy side room. You can order from the bistro menu (great) or the regular menu (also great) - so you're not limited there, and can laze and lounge while listening to good music and enjoy your good. Chopped salad is a must, and whatever is in season and local we get too (never a bad choice had!) - I don't care for the Beef bbq sandwich or the risotto - but that's just me trying new things before I jump back to the usual favorites! Whatever you order, remember to leave room for dessert, which combines seasonal + interesting + fabulous everytime. BTW, they have kids menue, too, and are always happen to customize if it's not too busy (place is packed weekends during peak ski and summer seasons - be warned!)

• Visited August 2013
Plainsboro, New Jersey
“Excellent food, not great customer care”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I tried to make a reservation, first by telephone. No one answered, so I left a message. No one returned my call. Then I tried to make a reservation through their website. They had no record of my reservation. We showed up, and the hostess spoke to us for about 5 seconds (long enough to say that she didn't have our reservations) and then spent TEN MINUTES on the telephone talking to someone who was planning a party there, about where to get balloons and whether they could bring their own cake. Then, as soon as she ended that call, she answered ANOTHER call. Meanwhile, it was after 9 p.m., we waited almost 20 minutes just to speak to the hostess, we were hungry, and still hadn't heard whether she would be able to fit us in at all. After she got off the phone, without talking to us, she went into the restaurant interior, and came back 5 minutes later, and then finally told us that they would try to seat us. Another 10-15 minutes later, we finally got a table. So, we were able to get a table roughly half hour after our "reservation" but it was a frustrating experience. Once inside, everything was lovely. Our waitress was good natured, helpful, and provided excellent service. The scallops were prepared perfectly, and my short ribs just fell off the bone, and were succulent and flavorful.

• Visited September 2013
madzilla23, Owner at Peekamoose Restaurant, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
I was surprised by your review (but delighted that our waitress and and food received such rave reviews). We have a relatively new online booking system and I am concerned as to why your reservation did not show up on our records. Our reservation system does send out confirmation emails, if you have a copy of this, would you please send it to me at thepeekamoose@gmail.com?
I also reviewed the video tape from our security cameras from the night in question. Although our reservation manager was indeed on the phone with another guest when you arrived, she was not on the call as long as you had indicated. Your party was was seated 14 minutes from your arrival time. I can appreciate your frustration with our hostess' multi-tasking - we were in the height of our peak season. Thank you for your compliments on our food and service staff. And please, do send me your confirmation email and I will happily investigate what may have gone awry with our new online system. We are always striving to give a great experience start to finish. Thank you again.
Cary, North Carolina
“Great food and lovely restaurant”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Enjoyed another great meal at Peekamoose in the Catskills. It is always our go to place to eat when visiting family.

Visited August 2013