“Three visits to Cold Spring Lodge”
Review of Cold Spring Lodge

Cold Spring Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Big Indian
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We (husband, wife,daughter and dog) have visited Cold Spring Lodge three times in the last two years. Great location and view. The different cottages were all warm and cozy with a good supply of wood for the fireplaces. Plenty of room to roam around on the property. On our last visit the owner stopped in for a chat and an update on our comments on the accommodations and service. Grocery store down the road.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Cold Spring Lodge

Reviewed April 14, 2014

It was a Friday night, and very snowy here in upstate New York. My boyfriend and I wanted to get away for the weekend and just do something different. So I called on Friday night, and there was one cottage left. We got in the Jeep immediately and headed out for a weekend adventure. It was a cozy little cottage with a nice wood-burning fireplace, and charm. We had a great time exploring the area, and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had cottage number one, it was nice and quiet quiet, and very clean. It was just the two of us, b...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natasha E
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We liked our stay and planning to come back- kids and adults enjoyed the fresh air, nature's views and cozy setting. The service was great- our requests were satisfied speedily and courteously. We liked the outdoors and the warmth of a fireplace in a family atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I returned to Cold Spring Lodge this March after an absence of close to 2 years. I was happy to say the place was as great as when I was last up there. The new manager is a local person so the place has not become too “citified” like some other places in the area. The land is as beautiful as ever, and I can’t wait to return in the late spring for some good hiking. Next year I am hoping to come up for turkey hunting season, the back hill around the stream directly behind the cabins was packed with them. If you are looking for a break from the city, this is the spot. I highly recommend Cold Spring to all who enjoy the outdoors.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Went up in January with a bunch of ladies. We had a ball. Everyone is so nice and it is beautiful up there. Close to great food and cute shops. They went out of their way to accomodate anything we needed. Definitely going back this summer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Last summer, me, my sister and my daughter were looking something trying to escape from the hot city to some place with nature, secluded dwelling, pool, quite neighbors. And we found one - Cold Spring Lodge. The price was fair, perfect location, far from the main road, separate house and a lot of green grass around, deers, bunnies are everywhere. I recommended this place to my friends and they stayed there too and were very satisfied. Although kitchen and cafe n the main building were closed, we went to buy food on our own and cooked in our houses's kitchen. Also you can you grill outside on the porch. Nice place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My sister and I stayed at Cold Spring in mid Jan 2014. The beginning of my experience with Cold Spring was very positive. I emailed the lodge late night asking if they had availability and they responded almost immediately (within 1/2 hour at 12 midnight!). I was very impressed! The manager (I believe her name is Joan) was so friendly upon arrival and very willing to answer all questions we had. Given the fact that we arrived fairly late day #1 (around 8pm), we ate at a local restaurant (Peek-a-moose --- I highly recommend) and retired to bed early. The next morning I awoke to the sound of what I thought was the house settling. I dozed off and then was quickly awakened again by the same sound. At this point, I decided to wake up and shower. As I was stepping out of the shower, I hear my sister scream and tell me that she just saw a mouse scurrying around in the kitchen (I realized at this point that the sound I heard must have been mice crawling in the walls). I quickly dressed and looked in the kitchen. I saw the mouse in the kitchen and thought well it is winter, its not a big deal. We then went out for approx. 4 hrs. Upon our return, we noticed there were MULTIPLE mice running from a closet in the kitchen to the area behind the stove. There was some sort of mouse bait there, and one at a time, they would run, then eat the bait and then run back inside the pantry. We stood there for over 15 mins and could not believe how many mice we saw running back and forth. We decided we could not stay a minute longer and checked out about 12 hrs early. I'd also like to note that the mouse problem was so bad that we checked out in the middle of the night. The amount of mice in the cabin was indicative of a severe infestation that was obviously not properly managed.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank NatalieGpsu
Kundapa W, Owner at Cold Spring Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and experienced mice issues. Thank you for letting us know. We really appreciate it. We actually have never had other guests complaining about the mice infestation. Our lodge manager checked with other guests who stayed at the same cabin you did a few months before and after your stay and no one experienced any mice issues. After receiving your review, we had our maintenance staff check to see if there were any holes in the wall and any signs of mice infestation and he could not find any. We also contacted an exterminator to investigate the issues and the result was no mice infestation. Our apologies again for your disappointment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Indian
#1 of 7 in Windham
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Cold Spring Lodge? Share your experiences!