“mixed feelings about writing this review”
Review of Cold Spring Lodge

Cold Spring Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Big Indian
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have been going to Cold Spring since the original couple owned it. I really loved this place. It is definitely "no thrills" except for the thrill of the great outdoors and a roaring fire in the fireplace. I do NOT blame subsequent owners for not being able to keep the resterant open, not their fault. And not a big deal with places like Brio's so close by and now even at the end of the road the new deli.

When the young couple that took over was there, things were always "laid back." You showed up and had to ring a bell, but they were friendly and he always got right to whatever you asked for. For the longest time you got a CAR TRUNK FULL OF WOOD.. after you burned that, you had to pay for more wood which was totally understandable.

And, again, if you needed towels, coffe filters, toilet paper, etc they always got it with a smile. It was a lovely arrangement.

I am guessing that the young couple is gone. I am guessing that the place is under new ownership? Because the attitude here has changed. I was informed that I'd "just have to wait" and that is "not how we do things here". Pardon me, I was here YEARS before you were, maybe NOW that is how you do things, but pardon me for thinking as a returning guest I was going to get the same service.

Sadly, one of the other new management changes is in how you get and pay for firewood. Again, maybe I am just used to the old regime, but I'd also suggest that you update the web page since it still says wood is included.

And, most regretably, with the new regime it just doesn't feel as friendly as it did in the past, and with cabin rates $200 to $250 a night, one wonders if we might find another cabin better maintained with better service for that price....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ny D
There are newer reviews for Cold Spring Lodge

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was very fortunate to have found this place when I was searching for someplace to go in the Catskill Mountain Region. My cabin is the best, with a refrigerator, stove and dishes. There is more than enough room in the cabin for me and my dog. At night, it was very quiet, and you could hear and feel the breeze through a slightly opened window. The Wi-Fi allowed me to do some work I needed to do while here, and I even had phone reception. Everything here is very clean, and I will definitely come again. The best surprise was that the cabin is only 30 minutes from Woodstock, N.Y. for shopping. On top of all this, the price was better than most! It offered the ultimate cabin experience with the quality and service of a 5-Star hotel. And my dog loved it too!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Wendy P
Kundapa W, General Manager at Cold Spring Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Hi Wendy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback about the Cold Spring Lodge - we enjoyed having you and are extremely pleased that you enjoyed all that we have to offer. We work really hard to provide the cleanest and most enjoyable experience for all of our guests. We are looking forward to your next stay with us!
Sheri and Mike

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here in late June with my husband and two children. When I made the reservation, I reserved a hotel room, not a cottage. Someone emailed me from Cold Spring Lodge and suggested that we'd be more comfortable in a cabin, which is more expensive. I said OK and changed the reservation to a cabin. I got no reply to this. I got no confirmation of the reservation and when I emailed to confirm it, got no acknowledgment of the email. We show up about 4:30 the day of our reservation and no one is around. It seemed deserted, but finally a woman came out of a back room and asked us to wait while they got our cabin ready, as no one had ever read my email agreeing to change the reservation from a hotel room to a cabin. It took about half an hour. This is all no big deal, but it's odd and sort of lackadaisical, which is how the whole thing was. The cabin was fine--it's not fancy at all but clean and comfortable enough. But here's why I gave it two stars; they are charging a lot. It was $200 to spend one night in this cabin. It's in a beautiful spot, but seriously, if you're going to charge that much then be on top of the reservations and provide at the very least some coffee filters and a packet of coffee. If you can't do that much then have a pot of coffee going in the office and have people managing it that are treating it like a real job. I've stayed at the Phoenicia Lodge which is about the same in terms of the type of cabin, but there's a nice little continental breakfast served in the office so that you don't have to drive 5 miles or so just to get a cup of coffee in the morning. I will say that at one point we discovered that a lamp wouldn't work. My husband went to track someone down to ask for another one and someone came right away with another lamp. I would have given this a better review if they'd charged $75 less than they did. In a word: overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Cold Spring staff really went out of their way to accommodate our large wedding party. They were able to house close to 50 of us in their property! They have a lovely restaurant space we used to congregate as a group, it was the perfect place for our rehearsal dinner and wedding preparations. Sheri and Mike are wonderful people to work with -- we had people and kids running all over the place and were very gracious and kind while we were there. Their cabins are nice, roomy - we loved the fireplaces in them. Cold Spring is located in a beautiful spot in the mountains of the Catskills -- we will be returning soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TitaKnepper
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends and we had a wonderful time. It was a perfect weekend getaway from the city. The area is very serene. Beautiful hikes near by. Cute cabins with comfy and clean beds. Everything worked great inside the cabins - TV, coffee maker, hot water, etc... I'd definitely recommend anyone to stay at this place if you are looking to get away from the civilization and get in touch with the nature.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Late June at Cold Spring Lodge is absolutely wonderful. We had such a great time just relaxing and having fun with our daughter. The people that run the lodge were great and our children enjoyed playing together. Kayaking was great at nearby Belleayre lake. Cabin #4 was perfect. We're heading back again toward the end of the Summer.

Room Tip: Cabin 4 very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dukeofsutton
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cold Spring Lodge last November for our honeymoon. It was very quiet and we had all the privacy we wanted, as well as lots of beautiful places to hike nearby. The cabin was clean and cozy, the big stone fireplace made it warm and romantic, and the stars were so bright we could almost see the Andromeda Galaxy! We had the best honeymoon imaginable.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Joan H
#1 of 7 in Windham
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Cold Spring Lodge? Share your experiences!