All reviewsbreakfast basketpicnic tablesgranola barsfull kitchenfire pitbagelsmilk in the fridgeroom was cleanhome away from homebelleayre mountainplace to stayscreened in porchsmall kitchencharcoal grillpots and pansdefinitely stay here againdouble bed
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Here are some unusual things that the Starlite offers:

- A friendly proprietor, Michelle, who greets you at check-in with a quart of milk and a basket of snacks.

- A full, eat-in kitchen with everything you need to stay in and cook for yourself.

- Three separate thermostats so you can warm your bathroom and cool your bedroom. Modernity!

- A large, inviting back yard, accessible from your back door.

- A good setback from the road so you won't hear any traffic.

- A three-minute drive to one of New York's nicest ski mountains (Belleayre).

If you need something that shows no signs of age, then look elsewhere, but the Starlite is very clean and well kept, and I enjoyed the retro feel. In room 2, I had a strong WiFi signal, so I could snowboard during the day and get my work done at night. Like another reviewer, I had some trouble with the hot water on one occasion, but Michelle is upgrading the bathrooms even as I write. Her attention to big improvements and little details set the Starlite apart.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Pros:
- Room and bathroom were clean.
- Decent breakfast basket with packaged foods (muffin, granola bar, etc) was supplied.
- Proprietor was very friendly.
- TV had a lot of cable channels.

Cons:
- Neighbors were noisy and audible.
- Utensils were used and dirty.
- Coffee filter didn't match the coffee maker.
- Room and bathroom were dilapidated.
- Hot water was very hard to maintain.
- Free high speed internet was out of range in my room (last room).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank vipahman
modato2, Owner at Starlite Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2011

Dear Reviewer,
- I'm glad you recognize that we strive to keep a thoroughly clean room. Our cleaning proceedures include sanitizing all utensils. If that was not the case with your room, I would hope that guests feel comfortable enough to bring it to my attention.
-Regarding our bathrooms being aged, it is a phenomenon of most small and older properties in our area, but I am pleased to say that we have renovated 5 of our 8 bathrooms within the last 5 weeks. And by the end of February, we should have completed all bathroom renovations. I will post photos of these in the near future.
We are very proud of the outcome of OUR NEW BATHROOMS.
-Regarding Wifi, we have 3 modems on the property, 1 secured network with a password available to all guests and 2 unsecured networks, available to the public. All I can say is that although we strive to provide this service to everyone and have invested in the most recommended brands to do so, the technology has it's limitations and some guests in the same room find the signal satisfactory ( not excellent but fair). We have also invested in a cellphone booster and have in-room phones in 4 of our rooms. All in an effort to keep our guests connected. Guests who communicate their priorities as being Wifi or telephone or full kitchens are usually situated accordingly (space available).
-Guests with pets, like you, have limited options on the property, with the pets being the priority. We have been pet friendly for many years, and our experience tells us that the the last 3 rooms are the most appropriate for the sake of the pet being in a peaceful environment and for the sake of our other guests as well. This system has worked for us without fail for more than 10 years. And we've managed to charge just $10 extra in spite of the extra time and extra resources it takes to sanitize the room after pet occupancy. Generally people with easily- agitated pets, recognize that their pets cannot travel well or they choose a more remote lodging ,like cabins in the woods.
-Be assured that upgrades are in progress to all our rooms, and of course when you return, our rates may reflect this. Thank you

Reviewed December 13, 2010

Pet friendly! People friendly! Easy to find. Many extras included in room. Wonderful basket of breakfast choices. Plenty of coffee to make in room and real milk in frig.
Price is very fair. Close to skiing and other mountain activities.
Management goes out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

Only downside is that the beds are a little hard.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing us. We were encouraged by your feedback and we have since then upgraded all our beds, either with new plush matress sets or luxurious 3 inch Serta Memory Foam Toppers.
We look foward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2010

My wife and I travel upstate occasionally on the weekends to escape the city. In the summer months it's to get away from the heat, and in the fall and winter it's to get away to see the changing of the leaves and then to ski.
We have stayed at many of the different B&B's and Guesthouses scattered throughout the Catskills, but one of our favorites is a tiny little gem called the Starlite Motel. Once you find a place you're happy with and comfortable at, you like to stay there because it's familiar and you know what you'll get. While up there in September, we noticed that the lady who owns the property had come back and was now operating the motel again herself. Although it's always been a pleasant enough spot for us, this time it was truly warm and inviting. She has taken steps to make some improvements, and you can see the personal touch she puts to the place.
I'm glad she's back, because this is one of our favorite spots, and now that she has made some improvements, it's even better. Plus, it's just a stone's throw away from one of our favorite pizza places, Railroad Pizza. They have a great menu with very reasonable prices and we can grab something to go very easily. The Peekamoose is also a great place to unwind at the end of a brisk day of skiing.
This motel is very convenient to Belleayre Ski Mountain, so that's one of our main reasons for staying there, but now that the owner has been back and put her personal touch to the place, it's an even better reason to stay there. My brother-in-law, who is a hunter, has also stayed there and it is a great value for him and his buddies. It's always been a reasonable price for my wife and I, and it's a great weekend spot for a getaway from the rush of the city.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
modato2, Owner at Starlite Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

Thank you so much.
There is no better compliment than a guest who returns again and again, year after year. We look foward to serving you and enhancing your experience in the Catskills each time you visit. There is always something new to discover in the Catskills and every season brings a new adventure;
-sight-seeing, hiking, birdwatching, fishing, horseback-riding
-skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing,
-antiquing ,our beach at pinehill lake
-leaf changing, hunting, nearby auctions
- Belleayre's Summer Music Festival (where Ray Charles last performed).
-Octoberfest, Cauliflower fest
- Woodstock and other historic places of interest

May we continue to be the familiar home you find comfort in, while you're on your Catskills Adventure.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

This motel was a true surprise for my Uncle and I during our hunting trip to the Catskill Mountains of New York State. We've stayed at several lodges in the area over the past 10 years and nothing we've experienced could match the "most bang for your buck" that is the Starlite Motel.

Very clean and well-appointed rooms with fresh towels, bathroom ammenities and comfortable beds. A kitchen with stove, fridge, counter space, sink, cooking utensils, etc. made this hunting trip the most comfortable in a decade.

Michelle, the owner, went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed, and her husband John was equally as accomodating.

We passed the Starlite motel a hundred times over the past decade and we finally decided to stay during our recent 5 night trip. My only regret is not staying here for the last 10 years. We won't make that mistake again.

Bottom line: A real sleeper of a motel with affordability, cleanliness, friendliness and great location in the Big Indian/Olivera valley area. I shall return for the winter sports season.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Your appreciation means a lot to us. Our hunting guests have been returning, year after year and often plan a year in advance to return. Most of them have known the Starlite Motel, even before me. We feel a real bond with our hunters, like a family would. You are all gentlemen.
We are happy that you were able to join our family of hunters. And we salute your Uncle for bringing you.
This year we've had hunter's accompanied by their wive's as well.
And that was really cool too!!!
See you soon.