“Likely the best in the area”
Review of Starlite Motel

Starlite Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Big Indian
Clifton, New Jersey
“Likely the best in the area”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We spent many hours researching where to stay and shied away from this place due to its 2 night minimum stay. Since we were only going to a wedding, we figured we didn't need 2 nights. However, based on our researching we couldn't find a comparable place so we stayed the 2 nights and LOVED it! We can't wait to go back and get another break from the city area. The breakfast is great, and you even get a quart of milk included. The kitchen is really a fully functional kitchen so you can easily make this a home away from home. We're looking forward to returning when the weather is nicer so we can take advantage of those grills and smokers in the back.

If I have to give one piece of constructive criticism it would be that the shower water temperature tends to randomly shift on you; its minor but worth noting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
West Kill, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I recently lost my whole house to a fire, being left with no where to go with my two dogs. When Michele, the owner heard of my situation, she did not hesitiate to say YES that they have a room for us. Michele has extended her arms in such a gracious way to me, to make my devasting situation into a caring, clean, cozy, comfortable, generous, loving one. Words cannot describe the feelings that Michele, her family and her staff (Lucy) gave so willing. While I was staying there (for 1 month), I noticed that Michele treats ALL her guests with such care, making sure everything is to their satisfaction. She definitely goes above and beyond. The accomodations you receive are much better by far than the larger hotels/motels. I would highly recommend the Starlite to everyone, no matter what season it is. There is a nice backyard area for gatherings, firepits, bbq's and more. Having these extras in a motel, made my stay a lot easier. They are really great, loving people. I will never forget them all. Thank you for being you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I am pleased to recommend the Starlite Motel if you are visiting the Catskill region for skiing or other recreation. The motel is located about 1 mile east of the Belleayre Mountain Access Rd. Upon arrival I was greeted by Jean, who checked me in and gave me my Breakfast Basket, filled with cereals, muffins, granola bars and milk. She is very friendly and made me feel quite at home. Cell service, depending upon your carrier, is not very good in the area. One of the KEY advantages for AT&T and other major carriers is that the motel possesses a Micro Cell (sort of a mini cell tower). All I needed to do was give my phone number, which was entered into the computer, and I immediately had cell service. The room itself is basic but very nice and clean complete with a kitchen. Television not only has cable , but also RokoTV which allows you to stream shows from many sources including Netflix, Blockbuster and HBOgo (all free). After a day of hard skiing and another to follow I was able to just "veg out" and enjoy television. The motel is also located near several restaurants and about a 1/2 mile east of Belleayre Shopping Plaza. This was my first time as a guest but won't be my last!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Mark S
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was very nice for a motel-style room. Decorated very cute - I loved the bathroom especially, it felt very homey and like my mom set it up for me. You can tell that this place is run by someone who really cares. It was nice to have the kitchenette to toast the bagels that came with the room and make tea - there was also cereal and there was milk in the fridge, as well as some granola bars and a muffin. Very conveniently located by Belleayre. I would definitely come back.

Also, I wanted to get my ski voucher for the day that I checked in, early in the morning, and the receptionist left the vouchers for me right on the door - good customer service!

new york
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Needed inexpensive close to Belleayre, but didn't know area. Stayed at new farmhouse. Loved it. Great for family. Close to ski, Peekamoose, clean, great common spaces. Construction finishes bit rough.

Room Tip: The farmhouse is actually 1/2 mile down the road from the motel, and very easy to get to.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mikeyelspikey
modato2, Owner at Starlite Motel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thanks so much, for taking the leap of faith and being one of the first guests at our farmhouse. I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. Rest assured that all the aestetic trimmings will be completed before the summer, hence our introductory 3rd night free promotion through the winter. Admittedly, our priority has been on making the house function in time for the many skiers' requests we've had, for more rooms and spaces that allow families and larger groups to gather together in common spaces. I'm glad to see that we have achieved this with the Maplewood Farmhouse with its 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen and great room. Please stay tuned to our progress as we estimate full completion by the middle of May 2014. Meanwhile, take advantage of our current discount promotion.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2014

we wanted a clean, well priced room, close to Bellearye mountain and that's exactly what we got. The Motel was very warm and accommodating. The breakfast basket was a wonderful touch filled with coffee and cereal and muffins. The room was exactly as advertised and I'm certain that it's great in the summer as well--with the grills and outdoor picnic tables. I'd definitely stay here again. Thanks Starlite!

Jericho, New York
Reviewed February 28, 2014

It was a great staying. Michelle was awesome, and nice. She help out for dining recommendation, locations and vouchers discount for lift tickets. The place was clean and quite. It was so close to mountain. Wonderful customer service....We will be back again. :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock
Copper Kettle Motel Cottages

Been to Starlite Motel? Share your experiences!