Book In Advance
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews bethel woods gift shop bucket list woodstock music festival history lesson jimi hendrix worth the trip two hours magic bus interactive exhibits peace sign young people blast from the past music lovers exhibit downstairs vietnam war concert site
Reviewed November 10, 2017

More than a monument to rock musicians and hundreds of thousands of kids high on their music and other things,The Museum at Bethel Woods celebrates an awakening of consciousness from the post WW II conformity of the Eisenhower years through the Civil Rights, Feminist, and Anti-War/Peace & Love Movements to the largest peace rally in history. For Woodstock '69 was four days of voices peacefully raised against senseless killing in a far-away war. The museum exhibits and four distinct videos tell the whole story, including why the festival slated to be held in artsy, bohemian Woodstock, which had a history of music festivals, wound up 60-some miles southwest at Yasgur's farm in Bethel, NY. One video, viewed on the windshield inside a '69 VW van, documents the closing of the NY State Thruway after festival goers from all across America turned the highway into a parking lot. In a theater, another video enables viewers to enjoy some of the music famously played that weekend. Boomers who were there and Boomers who wish they'd been there are transported back to their youth. Younger people learn a history lesson in the most delightful way possible. Everyone comes away aware that consciousness underwent a massive collective awakening during The Sixties and that we benefit still from those enriching, exciting, and turbulent times.

1  Thank ChannahAbraham
Reviewed October 30, 2017

The idea of visiting the Woodstock site has been in the back of my mind for decades. I am a child of the 60s and that event had a huge impact on me personally. I had initially assumed that a trip there would mean looking at a farmer's field in the middle of nowhere. Boy was I wrong.

On a beautiful sunny October day, we spent 5-6 hours pouring over many state-of-the-art exhibits in this lovely museum which REALLY captures the spirit of "Woodstock" and of the 1960 music scene. It was not busy that day so we felt like we had the place virtually to ourselves.

It was a thrill to walk the hills where the event actually occurred and to visit the monument. My only (minor) complaint is that it would have been nice to somehow mark exactly where the stage was. We had a good general idea, but a flagpole or two might make for a nice addition.

Long story short, I can happily check this off my bucket list. This visit exceeded ALL of my expectations. Kudos to the organizers and administrators!

1  Thank RexT
Reviewed October 23, 2017

The actual concert site was stunning and, as the child of a Baby Boomer who is consequently super into 60s/early 70s music, actually standing there where it all happened was pretty neat. I couldn't believe how remote the site was.

I watched the movie Woodstock a few years back (another motivation for my visit). Honestly I had learned way more from the movie than from the Bethel Woods Museum itself - it was a rather small. But, it was nicely done and very beautiful. The downstairs special exhibit hall had some interesting info on how they commercialized hippy culture, as someone who remembers this sort of junk still hanging around in the 80s and not understanding its context until now, although I thought the recreated teenage bedrooms were pretty cliched and not accurate. Overall though I give the museum extra credit because we arrived with less than an hour left until close and they let us go in with just a donation - very much in line with the Woodstock philosophy.

1  Thank icecat77
Reviewed October 19, 2017

First of all I didn't there was a museum and monument dedicate to Woodstock.
Baby Boomers, if you loved Cleveland's R & R Hall of Fame, you we love the Museum at Bethel Woods. Our next venture is to the GRAMMY Museum in Newark.

Addendum to below: No Lines. Although you can bring children, they would't understand the displays. A beer tasting was also available that day for a fee.

Reviewed October 17, 2017

The Woodstock Museum is a must see for anybody that grew up in the sixties and loved the spirit and music of that era. Located in Bethel, NY, which is at least an hours drive from the town of Woodstock, this is a great tribute to the Festival that took place on this site in August 1969. Be sure to take the guided tour with a now senior citizen former hippie to get the most out of your visit. The 19 minute movie is outstanding and short parts of songs are shown with the musicians performing them from the stage during the 3 days(and nights) of the actual concert. Joan Baez, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Santana, Janis Joplin, Crosby Stills and Nash, and the Jefferson Airplane are just some of the singers featured. Don't forget to get a picture taken by the "flower power bus" or check out the rest of the artifacts and photos from Woodstock. Parking is plentiful and close by and there is a gift shop and food service right beside the museum. On the way out of the parking lot drive about a quarter mile to the Woodstock Memorial Marker and a great view of the farmland where the actual event occurred. My wife and I--both of us baby boomers--loved it!

1  Thank bunkerboo