“SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS PLACE!!!”
Review of Bedford Post Inn

Bedford Post Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Bedford B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS PLACE!!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

During our two night stay at Bedford Post we fell more in love each minute. The staff at reception starts you off right with a very much appreciated glass of champagne. The rooms are beautifully appointed with a rustic/elegant touch. We loved our dining experience in the Farmhouse! We did the tasting menu one night and a la carte the next. Both options left us fully satisfied. I have to say that this place sets a kind of atmosphere/tone that allows for one to feel as though they have know you and are old friends. Not far from our NYC base, we will return hopefully sooner than later!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Indialantic, FL
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I am a frequent traveller and have never had such a bad experience with a hotel / bed & breakfast. I was very excited to purchase our weekend getaway at the Bedford Post Inn as a Christmas / Anniversary present for my husband. We live in Florida and planned to fly in for a long weekend. The day before my trip, I got horribly sick with the flu and the day of, I knew I wasn't going to be able to fly. I called them to arrange to move out our trip by a week. They agreed to move our dates but informed me that they would have to charge me the full price of our 3-night stay anyway. I went back and forth with 3 different people that day, and it boiled down to the fact that they would not agree to simply move my reservation out without charging me twice for the trip. I could understand forfeiting the first night deposit perhaps. But charging me about $2K for a trip I couldn't make and then paying for it again the following weekend?? I realize this is a small inn but not accommodating a one-weekend difference when you have openings anyway is ridiculous. I will definitely not return and am very sorry to have wasted so much money on this.

On the other hand, the nice people at Jet Blue refunded my non-refundable airline tickets, even though they didn't have to. A few days later we stayed at a local B&B by our house so that we could still celebrate our anniversary even though I was still not 100%. The Port d'Hiver was amazing, and after hearing about our experience, the inn keeper gave us a huge discount on the nicest room they had. This is customer service. The Bedford Post Inn could take some lessons on this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Brenna2006
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Bedford Post Inn is our new home away from home. My boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary here and will continue the tradition annually. When I grow up, I want my own house to look and feel like the Bedford Post Inn. It's one of those places you just don't want to leave. And I hope you arrive when Lisa is hosting. She made our stay magical and never made us feel like we didn't belong. She may very well be the eight world wonder.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sherman, Connecticut
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Having been to the Bedford Post Barn previously, we returned with high expectations. The restaurant is pricey for breakfast/brunch but we had a nice experience first time out. NOT today!
First the $11 bowl of oatmeal was basically water with a few grains of oatmeal and some apples floating in it. AND it arrived a full 5 minutes after my plate of food arrived. Then the replacement beautiful to look-at fruit plate, arrived with thinly sliced tasty fruit, except of course that who ever sliced the fruit failed to clean the mandolin leaving a taste of onion on every piece of fruit.
Given that my egg dish while tasty was steep at $16, I do not think we will be returning any time soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank annarbeit
NYC
Reviewed February 11, 2013

A wonderful respite that is less than an hour away from NYC. The Inn is a perfect get-away for a weekend trip from NYC.

The service was outstanding. The attention to detail was incredible. We booked at the last minute during a huge snow storm which we thought might be insane but turned out to be the perfect time to visit. There were only three rooms booked since all the "normal" people cancelled. The staff was so gracious and our stay could not have been better. The staff went above and beyond to ensure our stay was memorable despite many of them staying over since they could not get home. We felt like we were staying in a winter wonderland.

We were pampered from the moment we arrived. I was truly surprised that the man who graciously, helped us with our bags was the head chef. Everyone worked in tandem and truly went above and beyond.

The front desk manager greeted us with a glass of sparkling rose. An hour later, a delicious plate of pate and bread were delivered to our room. It was a wonderful way to start the weekend. The room already had a cute bag of cookies by our bed. At night, a plate of incredible chocolate truffles were placed on our bed with the fireplace lit. This was bliss...

Downstairs in the library, the refrigerator offers drinks at no charge. Each evening there is an hors dourve and free wine in the library.

The rooms are decorated beautifully. We were in number 6. (There are only 8 rooms.) The room has gas fireplace and a terrace. It is cozy with clean lines. I was surprised though, that I could hear the guests next door.

The bathroom was spacious with a separate water closet, claw foot tub and spacious shower. The bathroom could use a few more towels. The robes were Frette and the bath products were REN. I think the bathroom was bigger than my first apartment.

A continental breakfast of muffins, juice and coffee was delivered on a tray to the room each morning. The hotel graciously, included a full breakfast on the morning of the snow storm and then delivered a wonderful additional dish of scrambled eggs and lox. The barn was completely empty but for the three hotel guests. We were all treated wonderfully. Even the next day, when the hotel was back to business, the extraordinary service continued.

A session of yoga for two at the barn is included in the package. The studio is clean, well-appointed with large windows which allowed me to focus on the beautiful snowy vistas.

I would highly recommend the Bedford Post Inn. The only negatives are that it does not have a gym or a spa. Spa treatments are done in the room. But, the intimacy of the setting and the service make it an outstanding get away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Disclaimer up front - we stayed here right after Hurricane Sandy hit the area and the Inn was running on a generator. But, they were open for business and we paid full price so have to say, the service did not measure up. We made the reservation through their online site and completed all the information about room preference, wine preference, newspaper preference - and we indicated it was our honeymoon. Nothing was personalized about our stay. Why ask if you're not going to deliver? We had a chilly, could-care-less reception from the front desk manager when we checked in. The night manager was very friendly and made an extra effort but receiving a few cookies in our room just does not make up for the lack of service, which is why we stayed here in the first place. We had the opposite experience of other reviewers - no one made us feel welcome or went out of their way.
Ate dinner next to Martha Stewart in the restaurant which is good indication that the food is outstanding and service is flawless. However, the next morning when we went to eat breakfast, the generator lost power before our meal could be cooked. Understandable but again, front desk made NO effort to make up for the inconvenience, acted like we were a nuisance for letting him know about the problem and never acknowledged that we were not getting the one meal that comes as part of the room price. Why pay so much to stay if you're not going to receive appropriate level of service?
The frette sheets, bathrobes, marble bathroom, footed bathtub and luxurious bath products were all marvelous. Exquisite housekeeping, unique exposed wooden beams and fireplace are just what you want from a bed and breakfast. Wine and snacks served in the 'library' were wonderful touch. Unfortunately the lackluster customer service ruined our stay.

Room Tip: Balcony room on second floor was spacious and sunny
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coll S
Manhasset, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Bedford Post Inn is a beautiful understated luxury Inn just 45 minutes from NYC.
The rooms are elegantly appointed with fireplaces, Frete sheets and bathrobes, and heated marble floors in the bathrooms.

The staff could not be nicer! They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

The food is great both in the Farmhouse and the Barn.

It was a wonderful get away - and close to charming New Canaan Ct

The Bedford Post Inn is welcoming and warm and a great place to go when you want to relax and enjoy a wonderful few days in a New England like setting without having to travel too far.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RLH33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco (Westchester Cty)
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
Castle Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown

Been to Bedford Post Inn? Share your experiences!