Bedford Post Inn
$134
$115
$95
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Stamford(Stamford)(Great Value!)
$108
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Crowne Plaza Stamford(Stamford)(Great Value!)
$107
$101
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
Doral Arrowwood(Rye Brook)(Great Value!)
$179
Hyatt.com
$188
Courtyard
$159
All reviewscalifornia kingfire pitlarge showerthe barnoutdoor patiolounging areathursday eveningcomplimentary winenext morningsnow stormqueen bednew york cityveggie burgerspent two nightsthe general managergrounds are beautifulreflecting pool
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I am a semi-regular brunch patron here, and while I love the menu, the location and the ambiance, the Barn is woefully understaffed, and the current staff needs to learn basic customer service. It's as if there is no manager on-hand to ensure that people get seated, menus are handed out, and orders are taken. While there seem to be a plethora of bussers, getting some one to take your order is a bit of a challenge, especially if you are seated outside in the garden. And when you do get up from your table and mention that you would like to order, you are treated as if you were bothering the hostess.
I think this could all easily be fixed with a capable manager on-site, managing the flow and the customer experience, and also hire a few more servers. It's a shame because while I love the food, I sometimes get embarrassed about bringing guests there, as they often get frustrated at the lack of decent service. I make jokes about “it’s the country, ha ha!” but it’s getting old.
Last weekend the only person who inquired about my brunch was the lovely valet, who is always kind and asks about our family. It’s a shame that the best customer service is from the guy parking your car.
For equally delicious food and 10x the customer service, try the Schoolhouse at Cannondale in Wilton, CT, about 30 minutes away. Worth the drive.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The Bedford Post Inn navigates the rusticity it attempts to achieve with the refurbished building perfectly, while still creating a luxurious experience. The luxury is perfectly understated with each nook and cranny seemingly thought through. The room was larger than expected, as well as the bathroom with its marble mosaic floors (also heated), claw foot tub and large shower. All of this, though, without losing the elements of what this building used to be.

The only reason it's not a 5 star review is that if you're not here for yoga, the on-the-ground amenities are limited (while still fantastic) with an outdoor living room and zen garden. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Room 8 is on the corner.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank adam87am
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Given past negative experiences my girlfriend and I have had with luxury hotels/restaurants not being too friendly to us (we're a youngish lesbian couple), I wasn't sure that our experience at the Bedford Post Inn would be much different. So, after I booked the room, I was extremely pleased to see that Inn manager Jacky sent along a questionnaire for me to fill out. The questionnaire asked all sorts of questions, but the one that was most important to me was: "Are you joining us at the Inn for a special occasion?" In response, I very explicitly stated that my girlfriend and I would be staying at the Inn over her birthday, that I would be proposing on the Friday of that weekend, that we would be heading to Blue Hill on Friday evening for a celebratory dinner, and that if their staff had any issues whatsoever with a youngish lesbian couple, I would like to know. I never heard back from the questionnaire, so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. And GOODNESS, the absolute best is what we got.

We checked in to the Inn on Thursday evening and were greeted by Lisa, who is one of the friendliest people I've ever encountered at a hotel. The Inn and its accompanying restaurants, The Farmhouse and The Barn, are totally in sync with one another, so when we checked in, Lisa knew that we had reservations at The Farmhouse that evening and at The Barn on Saturday morning (despite the fact that I booked both of those reservations on OpenTable and not through the Inn itself). She got us all set up in our room, which was seriously gorgeous, and was all smiles the entire time, letting us know about the Inn's complimentary yoga classes, its complimentary cocktail hour on Friday, the complimentary breakfast that ended up being delivered straight to our door at precisely the minute we asked for it to be -- everything. Then my girlfriend and I relaxed in the room for an hour before heading down to The Farmhouse, where we enjoyed an exquisite meal accompanied by amazing cocktails and an incredible bottle of rose that I've never seen on the menu anywhere else.

After dinner, we headed back up to the room to enjoy the enormous claw-foot bathtub and Frette robes, found that the Inn had supplied us with some chocolate truffles and a note detailing the weather for the next day, and then eventually collapsed into one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The next morning we awoke to a breakfast tray of fresh croissants, French-press coffee, and banana bread, then we headed out for a hike (which was also the cover for my proposal). On the way out, we met Jacky, who -- just like Lisa -- was exceptionally warm and friendly, and I think she could read the extreme nervousness on my face about the impending proposal, because after amiably giving us directions to a general store in Bedford, she yelled a quick "Good luck!" after us as we headed out the door. Mind you, I never ONCE brought up the proposal after we arrived to the property, which can only mean that the Inn managers read through every questionnaire closely and do everything they can to make visitors' stays even more enjoyable and memorable.

When my now-fiance and I returned to the Inn after the proposal (and the acceptance!), Lisa had returned to her post and again was so warm and welcoming. Honestly, Lisa made us feel as though we were all old friends every time we ran into her, which was SUCH a divergence from the stuffy, uppity behavior you can get from other luxury properties. She gave us a few knowing smiles, then let us get back to our room to get ready for our dinner at Blue Hill. When we arrived at Blue Hill, the maitre d' gave us a huge grin, lead us to our table and seated us, then rushed back with a bottle of rose champagne. My fiance and I looked at one another like, "Um, what is going on?" We had been to Blue Hill a few times before, and we had never been greeted with champagne before. As it turned out, the good folks at the Bedford Post Inn, again going off information I had given them literally three months prior in the questionnaire, had called ahead and asked that Blue Hill pour us a glass of celebratory champagne on the Inn's tab. Seriously?! What an amazing gesture -- and how thoughtful and kind! The Inn's call-ahead to Blue Hill also resulted in our being assigned two gay waiters, which was an incredibly nice gesture in and of itself, since these two waiters could not be more excited or pleased to be waiting on us. As a result of the Inn's kindness and forethought, we ended up having the absolute best experience we've ever had at Blue Hill.

We arrived back at the Inn late, again collapsing into bed, and the next morning, when we couldn't get up to make it to The Barn for our breakfast reservation, the Inn seamlessly adjusted and brought us another tray of breakfast goodies. We ate, got ready, then went to check out, and Lisa again greeted us with warmth and hospitality. We thanked her for everything that she and the Inn had done to ensure an amazing, unforgettable stay, and she went one further, letting us know that she welcomed us back to the Inn for any special occasion we had in the future. She even gave me a rundown on how weddings work at the Inn. Needless to say, the Inn is one of our top choices for our eventual wedding!

I could not recommend the Bedford Post Inn more. I honestly cannot fathom how anyone could have less than an incredible experience here, and for anyone thinking of celebrating ANY kind of special occasion here -- or even if you're just looking for a relaxing trip filled with good energy and kind people -- the Bedford Post Inn is the place to go.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and splurge on at least a Queen Deluxe. The claw-foot bathtub and dual-headed shower are to die for!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Morgan E
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed at the Bedford Post several months ago. We were looking for a nice, short get away close to home. The inn staff is wonderful, warm and welcoming. The rooms were quaint and lovely. The linens were devine, the heated floors and soaking tub made the damp, chilly weather outside better. Due to the weather, we spent a little more time in the room. The porch outside our room was weathered and worn, not very clean-we would not have used that because of the condition of the space-sad. It would have been nice to enjoy the ability to use that porch when the weather allowed. The driveways badly need to be redone. And there should be a walk to the door from the upper parking area. We had to clean our shoes each time we entered/left the building. Had the weather been better, the grounds/driveway and exterior of the building would have been a very big disappointment. It was late in the season but the grounds/exterior should have been in better condition. The outside of the inn seems very shabby and just not well done.There is a nice wine and snack offered on certain days, but should be offered every day. When away for a few days, every day is Saturday. We met another couple during the wine/snack time and had dinner with them, then breakfast the next morning. Dinner was good, we very much enjoyed the breakfast. The restaurant staff was wonderful! This is a very nice small inn but it is not a five star. It does need work and we felt the prices were high for an inn located on a main road with road noise during the night. I do hope the exterior gets the attention it needs. Overall, however, it was a very nice and relaxing stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CTgal55
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I just had a wonderful get-away at this perfect inn. The staff at the front desk (Jacky and Lisa) were warm and welcoming, and made sure we were taken care of from the moment we walked in the door. The rooms are amazing; each room is uniquely appointed. We stayed in room 3; it was like staying in someone's luxury guestroom. No details were left out, great design and cozy feel. Wonderful balcony, we enjoyed our complementary pastries and coffee in the morning!

Dinner was spectacular; we opted for a 5 course tasting menu which was nothing short of amazing. Wonderful presentation and flavor combinations. The wine list was quite impressive, with some very interesting wines you typically don't see (ie Sicilian wines). Service staff matched the chef's creations in attentiveness.
Lunch next day was lovely as well; we ate at the barn; a little more casual but still great food and hospitable staff.

A get away we will never forget. Thank you to the great staff of Bedford Post Inn

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple