“Country Charm”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bedford B&B and Inns
Shelton, Connecticut
“Country Charm”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I just completed a three night stay as the result of a Luxury Link auction. After reading some of the reviews, I was unsure if I made the right decision to bid. My experience was great.
For anyone expecting five star luxury you will be disappointed but remember this is an 8 room country inn. My stay was upgraded to a room with a side deck. The bathroom set up was very nice although the bath soap bar was tiny. The bed linens (Frette) were very deluxe and the bed extra comfortable.

Dinner at The Farm restaurant on Easter Sunday was pleasant although bread seemed to be in short supply. Other meals at The Barn were better starting with an ample salad, a nice fish dish and desert which you select from a number of options. With a three course menu at a fixed price this was very reasonable.
Front desk staff were young but very eager to please. The small lounge proved to be a nice place to get something from the frig. While I am sure the grounds will be nicer when the weather gets warmer, overall the experience was very charming.

This comes from someone who is used to 5 star properties but I enjoyed this experience and would recommend it to other travelers whose expectations are in line with what the property has to offer.

Room Tip: try to get an upgrade with a terrace
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank boatbuddy2007_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Westchester, N.Y.
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We had great expectations for the Bedford Post restaurant and were very disappointed. The dining area was warm with plenty of ambience, but the lighting was TOO low to comfortably read the menu and barely enough to see the food. We sat facing the front window and the outside lighting was very distracting. Service was slow but attentive. Wait between first and main course was excessive, perhaps 40 minutes. I finally asked the waiter to please check on our order. I ordered scallops as a main course and found exactly THREE(3) quarter-sized scallops along with ONE small shrimp and a few mussels. ($29) It would have been perfect as an appetizer. Dessert arrived without coffee and we had to remind the waiter. My companions ordered fish bronzino and striped bass and enjoyed their entrees. Maybe it was just an "off-night", but at these prices, it seems inexcusable. In all fairness, they did try to make amends with an after-dinner drink and plate of cookies... Not planning to return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Linda072
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I regret that I have to write this review. I had been hoping to spend a night at the Bedford Post Inn over this coming Memorial Day. I started trying to make the reservation in OCTOBER. I communicated numerous times with the Inn over e-mail, asking whether there was a one night minimum policy. I was never told there was. What I was told, ultimately, was that it was too early for the inn to book my reservation, and that I should call back first six months, and then three months, before the intended date of the stay. When I last spoke with the Inn (now February), I was told, for the first time, that there was a two night minimum. I was flabbergasted! By now, I had forfeited any opportunity to stay at a comparable property for the one night on a holiday weekend. A subsequent e-mail to the Inn attempting to get a waiver of the minimum stay went unanswered. This is customer service at its worst. Sorry, I will be spending my hard-earned dollars elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank parismuse
South Salem, NY
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We had lunch at the Bakery today and were terribly disappointed. This was to be a special birthday celebration lunch. First, the room is very noisy making for an unpleasant experience from the start. We were served a dipping bowl of olive oil--but no bread. After a while, I called over wait staff with a basket of bread who served us a tiny piece of cold, chewy bread--more unpleasantness. But the worst was to come in our main food orders: chicken Milanese and pork roll sandwich--one worse than the other. In fact, the chicken had to go back for its lack of taste and weird consistency. The pork roll was on a bed of overpowering cole slaw--yuck--and not generous in portion of meat. It was served on a supermarket-style onion roll. The chicken Milanese was replaced with a tuna melt which was better than the chicken, but still not wonderful either. The bread that it was served on was dripping in oil and the cheese was hardly melted on top. The tuna salad itself--mediocre at best (what’s so hard about making a good tuna salad???). We had "country potatoes" which were nothing special but greasy cubed fries. We felt hopeful that this would all be put right with a smashing-bring-down-the-house dessert, but that was not to be. The choices were limited for dessert (“The Bakery?”). We chose the cheesecake and the lemon merengue which were just ok. I do have to say we enjoyed our cappuccinos, and there were no problems with the service, but at the moment, four hours later, we both feel a fair amount of indigestion from the oily fare. All this for a grand total of $91.00. Lesson learned.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EleanorSouthSalem_NY
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My boyfriend took me here for a weekend getaway from NYC. It was fantastic! As soon as we walked in we were greeted with staff who took care of us through the weekend. Because there are only 7 rooms at the inn a lot of the guests congregate in the living room area for wine and food which is compliments of the house. Those who wanted alone went to the the restaurant or bar or the outdoor fireplace. The food was delicious. The rooms had everything you needed to relax. And the yoga was also relaxing and great. The trip was topped off when they told us the brunch was compliments of the inn for our stay - and the waitress kept ordering extra drinks and food for us because she thought they were good and we should try. We will definitely be going back there. It was a fantastic experience!

Room Tip: We took a rooms with a porch. It was a nice outdoor refuge for us.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SAR871
Katonah, New York
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We had dinner at the Post this evening and must say we were terribly disappointed. The food was VERY mediocre, the pasta with squid was overcooked and salty. The chicken dish was decent but root vegetables were so tiny one could barely see them. The dishes came out very quicky and once the meals were served the wait staff disappeared. The bill for the four of us was close to $400 with tip and I must say I have had better meals at the local diner. The mouse dessert was the only redeeming part of the meal but again nothing spectacular. Staff was very friendly and warm, and the atmosphere quite lovely.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank lmsrrigo
Brooklyn
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My fiance and I just spent a weekend here, and we will DEFINITELY return for another trip. We drove up from the city to celebrate our engagement, and stayed in a room called the "California King Deluxe with Terrace". The room was gorgeous, with a big bath and shower for two, large bed with VERY comfy sheets/comforter/pillows and a FIREPLACE(yay!!!!) We could have stayed in our room all weekend, but we ventured out to have dinner at the Farmhouse, where we had the most amazing food and wine. We did a hike at ward pound ridge on Saturday (a local park with hiking trails a cute little museum with a tiny art gallery), and had a late night snack of wine and cheese when we returned from our drive. On Sunday morning, before we left, we had a yoga class in their yoga studio, to make sure we left with clear heads and a happy outlook for the week :)

Overall our stay couldn't have been better. We didn't see Richard Gere there, but our waiter told us it's not unusual to see him huddled in the corner at a table with a director or producer, when he's not off shooting a film!

When we come back, we want to plan our trip around a Saturday Wine Class and possibly one of their weekend yoga workshops. I want to do it in December (or whenever we get the first good snow) but my fiance loves the country in the Spring... so we'll see. Maybe a compromise is in order, and we'll do both... haha! ;)

Room Tip: We love both restaurants (Barn and Farmhouse) but this place is a total "destination" so v...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco (Westchester Cty)
Delamar Greenwich Harbor Hotel
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Castle Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel & Spa
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Armonk Westchester Cnty Apt
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Bedford Post Inn? Share your experiences!