“Nice meal but overpriced bistro”

Bedford Post - The Barn
Reserve with OpenTable
Bedford Post - The Barn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Metro North to Bedford Hills Station.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Went for couples dinner with a 150 gift card. Nice meal but small portions, very overpriced. Still went well over budget. 20 dollars for chowder? It was good but.... That being said, the melted ricotta over foccachia was excellent. Nice place to go with a gift card. Also 40 dollars corkage for a casual bistro is almost funny Wont return

1  Thank liketoeatWestchester

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been here a few times for lunch. I have been very happy with the food and the service that I received those times as well. I was a little thrown off by the valet parking, as we were eating in the "barn" and not the tavern. Needless to say, it was fantastic and definitely a nicer place for lunch than a local luncheonette or a diner.

1  Thank mbm0303
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This restaurant is the ideal location for those sorry individuals who confuse the cost of something as evidence it's high-class.

The fare here is mediocre, and the portions, particularly after the extraordinary wait to have them served, appear molecular. For example: I ordered an entree that included eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, potatoes, greens, and tomatoes--the kind of meal you expect to be robust, filling. What appeared on my plate was dismal: two eggs, a pinky-length's worth of charred sausage, a single (!!!) strip of charred bacon, a tiny pile of slug-like mushrooms, a small cinder block of bland Texas toast, a tiny portion of russet potatoes halved and cooked until their flavor could only be described as "crunchy," and a few diced cherry tomatoes. The Bloody Mary mix was excellent, but touted a price tag that would shame most SoHo establishments. In fact, this place is roughly $30-$40 a plate (including a drink), and you'd need to spend twice that to leave as filled and satisfied as you would dining at a local diner. You would eat better food as well.

Worse, there's valet-required parking, and because the parking lot is hilly and unpaved, I suspect the valet damaged the undercarriage of my vehicle. I do not drive anywhere except on highways, and the only time I've relinquished control of my car in the last two weeks (and the only time I've driven it; there and home again--the issue occurred on my way home) has been to this restaurant's valet. Now I have to purchase a new catalytic converter, all as a result of the worst brunch experience I've ever had.

The interior, if cramped, is cute, though. So if you prioritize appearance over appetite, I would recommend The Barn at Bedford Post.

2  Thank Todd D
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The casual "Barn" is a great place for breakfast or lunch, especially on the weekends. The atmosphere is cozy and the food is good. Be careful what you order though --the portions can be small.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went to have lunch and also to check out the property for an event. The menu is small and more cafe style food than restaurant, thus the prices were pretty high ($18 for falafel!). However, the food was tasty - veggie burger was full of flavor and tasty, spinach salad same. Falafel dry and a bit disappointing given all the delicious, cheap falafel joints in NYC. It's my fault for ordering it but the waiter recommended it. Hostess was very accomodating and professional. Waiter was so-so. Lightly attentive and slow but nothing remarkably bad either. The atmosphere is cozy and great for winter time with the fireplace. It's noisy but makes it homey in my mind for a daytime meal in the country. We did not partake of desserts but it looked fairly limited to cookies and muffins. Overall,l we loved the country inn atmosphere and found the food tasty but overpriced. Would go again if found a reason to be out that way.