“What a great dining experience!”
Review of Bear Cafe

Bear Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bearsville
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
“What a great dining experience!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I just spent a weekend up in the Catskills and made sure to visit this restaurant for the first time, based mainly on great tripadvisor reviews. OMG, it was well worth the experience! We were lucky and got seated at a cozy table in a small room near a fire place. To begin, my wife ordered the onion soup (which she claims was the best she ever had due mostly to the abundance of cheese on top!) and I ordered the cream of aspargus soup. Perfect taste and texture! We then ordered our entrees - my wife had the pumpkin raviolis and I ordered the pan roasted chicken. I'm not lying when I say that the presentation of my chicken dish was one of the best I have ever seen. So good that I didn't want to eat it (lol)! We were so full from these meals that we skipped on the dessert. The entire bill (with wine and 20% tip included) came to exactly $100. What a dinner! We'lll definitely be back the next time we return to the Catskills!

• Visited January 2014

New York
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate at The Bear Cafe during a recent visit to nearby Woodstock and I have to say it exceeded our expectations. Based on other reviews we had read about how busy the place can get, we made reservations and we were glad we did. When we arrived we found a full parking lot (and the parking lot is HUGE) and had to drive around the lot twice before finding a spot. The restaurant itself was also quite busy, and the one complaint I have about the entire experience was the in attentive service. More on that later.

We were seated right away at a table with a view of the stream. It was already dark out but the stream is tastefully lit and so the view was quite nice. The restaurant itself is loud and we didn't find it to be particularly romantic. It seemed to us to be more of a family type restaurant.

For appetizers we ordered the calamari and the grilled endive salad. Both were outstanding. The calamari was crispy and light and just delicious. The endive salad had the perfect blending of flavors. For entrees, my husband ordered a burger which he thought was just ok. I had the filet mignon and WOW! was it good. Served with a bleu cheese compound butter and demi-glace. Out of this world. It was served with mashed potatoes which were not great but edible. We were both too full for dessert. As mentioned above we found the service to be lacking. Our server was friendly, but we hardly saw her once we ordered our meals and we were unable to flag anyone down for a soda refill for most of the meal. It's the only complaint I have about the entire experience and it's what keeps me from giving The Bear Cafe a five star rating. All in all, an excellent meal and we would definitely return.

Visited December 2013
USA
“Eating well in Woodstock, N.Y.”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This place has been the place to go in the area for years, and what it makes it so wonderful is that the team at the Bear Cafe continue to produce a quality product, year after year. Their staff is well trained, the menu is constantly updated and you should never leave dissatisfied.
One of their signature dishes is their fried chicken, there was nothing left over to take home. Their seafood linguine was outstanding as was their cassoulet. For starters I had scallops wrapped in bacon, cooked just right. Salads were crisp and fresh.
If you want to try one of their cocktails, give the sugar bear a shot.

• Visited December 2013
Kingston, New York
“Exquisite and worth every penny!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I dined at The Bear Cafe tonight and were very impressed with the following:

1. Decor and ambiance. This restaurant is large and breathtakingly beautiful. Lots of natural wood and warm tones. We were seated by the window and watched the stream flow by

2. Service and professionalism. Our server was Melissa who was friendly and very efficient. She is an asset to this restaurant and a pleasure to meet.

3. Food and drink.

The food is delicious and fresh and portions were enormous. We believe tha good bread makes a restaurant and the warm, freshly baked semolina bread was perfect. We chose French onion soup and the kale salad with ricitta salata and black grapes as our appetizers which were filling and tasty. Our entrees, angus strip steak for hubby and Szechuan whole fried snapper for me were mouthwatering and top quality. Keegan Ale products are on tap and served cold and refreshingly. Dessert choices were many but we chose a molten belgian chocolate meltaway cake with roasted strawberries and vanilla ice cream and a cream puff with salted caramel. Perfection and the grand finale for a wonderful meal.

4. Reservations. Make one, NOW! You will thank me afterward!

• Visited December 2013
NJ
“One of my favorite restaurants ”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

The Bear Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants. I make sure every time I visit the Woodstock area, I have dinner at the Bear Cafe. The food is always excellent (my particular favorite is the pumpkin ravioli) and is sourced locally. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, especially on a cold winter night! The restaurant is also located next to the Bearsville Theatre where you can catch some great shows. Any trip to Woodstock should include dinner at Bear Cafe.