“Worth a special trip”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bearsville
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and 2 girls (4 and 2) stumbled on this place on our way into Woodstock. Lucky stumble! It didn't exactly look family friendly (on the high end re: price and decor) but we took a chance and are so glad we did! The view (floor to ceiling windows in a room literally suspended over a creek bordered by fall foliage) was only beaten by the food and service. I had pumpkin ravioli and my husband had the pork chop. Both were out of this world. For the kids, they offered to make plain ravioli with red sauce or butter and cheese -- not on the menu, and delicious! They also converted soup cups into sippy cups for the kids. We went through about 3 loaves of bread. Not sure, but I am betting they make it on premises. It was soft and yeasty -- I could have made a meal out of that alone. So bottom line I guess: Attitude casual and friendly -- food and service second to none. Don't count on high chairs and standard kid-friendly features, that's not what it's about. However, if you can't get a babysitter or are just driving by like we were and your kids are reasonably well-behaved, go anyway! This place is worth a special trip. Really.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Liked the food and atmosphere so much that we went there back there the next night! Onion soup is to die for and the entrees were delicious. If you have room for more, the strawberry shortcake was delicious!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Granted its one of my favorites, but they just have great food every time we go. Always consistent and the menu can accommodate anyones taste. If your in Woodstock or not, it is well worth the drive. Make sure you get the mussels, there the best. Halloween season call early and request a window, the adjacent stream is lined with pumpkins.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I ate here very recently and much to my dismay, the place does not deliver the goods. T hey come quickly to greet you and seat you. unfortunately, as soon as you sit down, the waiter wants you to order and he does not go into description of the entrees even when you ask him specific questions, He seems like he can't be bothered, I ordered a house salad with shaved Parmesan shaving. there was barely any dressing and the salad was dry. Had to pour on some olive oil to give it flavor. ALSO,The next dish a lobster quesadilla came out almost one half hour later so I'm sitting there fiddling with the. BRead basket. t he lobster quesadilla was mushy had maybe three tiny pieces of lobster and was mostly just a tortilla with some melted cheese. Went back to the hotel room and had to eat some food. The prices are not cheap and do not give you quality fine dining which is what the place is supposedly known for in town.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I arrived late in Woodstock the first night. I went to Yelp, saw this place ranked #1, and saw that it was still open.

I called in an order of kale salad and tofu over soba noodles for pickup. It was enough food for two hungry people. The food was very fresh and tasty. It is a little on the expensive side, but the quality of the ingredients and excellent preparation are worth it.

Reading these reviews, I wish I was able to see the stream and eat inside the restaurant before sundown. It sounds like a lovely experience. From what I saw, the woodwork in the place was very lovingly done; I felt like I was standing inside a musical instrument.

I highly recommend this place, and I believe it would be a very romantic dinner spot.