“Unique and very comfortable”
Review of Bear Mountain Inn

Bear Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bear Mountain
GreenLeadersSilver level
brooklyn, ny
“Unique and very comfortable”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed in one of the Stone Lodge rooms overnight in July. We had a pretty good experience. The lodges are comprised with several rooms that open onto a communal indoor sitting area (with a fireplace, mini fridge, sink and microwave). Outside there is a communal porch. The rooms are small and simply furnished with a bed, a couple of mirrors, a dresser, nightstand, and chair. They also include a private bathroom with a tub. The room we were in had been recently renovated and was clean and comfortable. This set up would be ideal for a family or group of friends who are renting the entire lodge (8 or so rooms), but was fine for us as well. We were just off the park and lake and could walk down in two minutes. It was great having such access. The people at the front desk of the Overlook were helpful with directions for food, attractions, and movies. The continental breakfast left MUCH to be desired, but it did exist. I'd recommend this place highly for families and groups of friends. It was a cozy getaway for two city-dwellers like us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
bearmountaininn, General Manager at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Bear Mountain. I plan to review continental breakfast with are culinary team. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Long Island
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I've stayed here, at the Stone Lodges, every year for a number of years, and was concerned by some of the reviews in the past year or so leading up to the renovation. Someone named Michael came in for quite a bit of oprobrium in the previous reviews. I've never met Michael, but I can say that the staff I've interacted with are still consistently friendly and helpful, especially the young woman who has worked the daytime shifts for many years, and I look forward to saying hello whenever I am there.

In previous years, I had stayed once or twice at the Overlook, and many times at the Stone Lodges. The Stone Lodges were built by the WPA in the 1930's, while the Overlook was a more recent addition. The Overlook boasted a spectacular view of the Hudson, and modern but somewhat generic rooms (I haven't seen it since the renovation). The Stone Lodges were somewhat rundown before the renovation--the fixtures looked like they might have been original from the WPA!-- but had more of the feeling of being out in the woods, which was what I really wanted (and you can always enjoy the Overlook's view of the Hudson every morning when you go there for the complementary Continental breakfast).

I was a little worried that the renovation would destroy the woodsy charm of the Stone Lodge rooms--I envisioned something like a typical Holiday Inn. I needn't have worried. The renovation has been tastefully done, in sort of an Early American/antique-y/country inn/lodge-in-the woods kind of style. Six rooms surround a central common area that has a fireplace (working in the winter, I presume) and a welcoming smell of cedar when you open the door. A new addition to the common room is a sort of armoir that includes a microwave oven, a sink, and a mini-fridge (the fridge didn't seem cold enough, even at maximum setting--I think there may not be enough room to dissipate the heat in the enclosure it sits in). Two overstuffed easy chairs face the fireplace. There is also a wooden table folded away at the side of the room--it's a little heavy and tricky to set up, and there is plenty of room, so it might be a good idea just to have it set up for anyone who needs it, especially since they've already built the armoir-kitchenette.

The rooms are a bit small. This never bothered me before, but I think the new furnishings are part of it. Specifically, there is no area that is well suited to writing or eating in the room, which makes things a bit confining if you happen to want to do either of those things (I ate my lunch perched on a corner of the bed, with my plate on the dresser). I remember there used to be a writing desk, which made a lot of difference that way. Right now, there is a huge six-drawer double dresser (two parallel sets of three vertical drawers); I think it would be much better to have just a single three-drawer dresser (more than adequate for most travelers) plus a writing desk or table and chair.

The front porch overlooks the Hessian Lake, and includes overstuffed chairs, a love seat, and a small picnic table. The lake, hiking paths, and a choice of trails to ascend Bear Mountain, are all just a short walk from your door.

Overall, a relaxing, really nice place to stay, that I'll look forward to returning to for many years to come.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank slands2000
Thank you for your warm comments on the newly renovated rooms! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Stayed a Fri & Sat at the Scenic Overlook, in the Beaver Lodge (I kid you not). Super-cool 6 room lodge, with sloping stone walls on the outside, very rustic looking, but very nicely updated on the inside. Good bed, clean room, bathroom nice with good pressure and products. Not a big room, but it was just me and I was away all day so no worries. Price was great at $100/night with some kind of special.

Friday night was blissful. Totally silent, and I slept like a log. Saturday started off the same way, until 12:30am when 20 or so twenty-somethings (or maybe high-schoolers?) arrived and began partying pretty hard in the common room in the lodge. I wouldn't have minded except that I had an early race the next day. They partied till 4:30am. When I awoke the next AM there was still one poor girl sleeping in the common room. I should have called the front desk to have them take care of it ... but sort of figured it was payback for my own rude indiscretions of the past.

So all-in-all a great place to stay if you're willing to put up with a possible party, or maybe confront it like I didn't.

Other negative was the Dish Network TV had no ability to purchase a movie.

I will absolutely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I read some of the other negative reviews, however we stayed in the main building, not in one of the cottages. The building has a bit of a Frank Lloyd Wright look to it. We thought our room was one of the best we stayed in while we were in NY. It was off season, so the price was very reasonable. Our room was one of the newly renovated ones, with all new furnishings and fittings. I thought the room was tasteful and the king size bed was the most comfortable bed of our holiday. The bathroom was brand spanking new as well. There was a smell of paint in the hallways but as it was in the process of being fixed up, that was expected. The main lobby where we had the complementary breakfast was lovely, felt like we were in a mountain lodge. The view was great from there as well. The front desk service was friendly. I'd recommend it! Not many restaurants around though, have to have a car!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
bearmountaininn, General Manager at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
Thank you for selecting Bear Mountain's Overlook Lodge. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the positive comments. We hope to see you again soon.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 6, 2010

My husband and I went to Bear Mountain Lodge for our honeymoon (1974). We loved it there. We have gone back a 4 times. But the huge lodge is closed for renovation. A major project. But we cannot wait until it is completely done. Hopefully it will be just as beautiful as we saw it for the first time. And know it will bring in the people once it is all done.
Just wanted to let you (owners) know to bring back the beauty that the Lodge had at one time.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
bearmountaininn, General Manager at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2010
Thanks so much for your comments. We've just completed renovations at the Overlook Lodge and Stone Cottages. We hope to have the historic Bear Mountain Inn's 1st floor open by May 2010 and the 2nd and 3rd floors open by early 2011.
wendyapple
Reviewed September 27, 2009

As the other reviewer stated,we had a very similar experience. We were promised months ago that the Inn would be finished(been hearing that for years). It obviously was not and were supposed to stay in the lodge. Well ended up in the dump cottages. Has anyone on that management team even bothered to check out the accommodations that they are putting their guests in?? I am quite sure that if the managers had to spend one hot night in those filthy rooms, things would change. We also left after nothing but blank dumb stares from the manager( I believe his name was Michael). I can not believe these type of rooms are even offered! Even in the lodge, they are nothing more than "super 8" accommodations, at best. Save your money and stay elsewhere. What a shame because the grounds are beautiful. The website does show that new management has taken over the running of the hotel/banquet/food. If nothing else, things have gotten a lot worse then they used to be. I can only imagine how things will be run in the Inn when they finally open. Someone please bring in an experienced company to bring back the Inn to where it should be!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank wendyapple
bearmountaininn, Manager at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2009
Hello from Bear Mountain Inn and thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback, as it's the only way we can continue to improve! I am so sorry that the cottages were not up to our normal standards. I will review with our housekeeping department.
CT
Reviewed September 27, 2009

First off I want to say that I did not stay in the main lodge. I stayed in one of the stone cottages. They must have been doing work on the cottage because there were several rooms within that had work material in them scattered about. My room was small, filthy and 90% of the electrical outlets didn't work. To plug my phone and GPS in for recharding I went into one of the vacant rooms where and plugged them in over night. I notified the front desk that my electric wasn't working and they did offer to move me but I was already settled in. Because of the work being done I am SURE they knew the power wasn't working in the room and they still assigned it out.
The service at the front desk was fine but the breakfast skimpy. For nearly 100 bucks a night this ranks as one of the worst value hotels I've ever stayed at. I am not a picky person and the room I had would have been absolutely fine at 40-50 dollars but not at 100.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank EUROCOPE
We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We wish you the best in your travels. We appreciate your feedback...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bear Mountain
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson

Been to Bear Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!