“Made our wedding PERFECT!”
Review of Bear Mountain Inn

Bear Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bear Mountain
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The staff at Bear Mountain are amazing!!!! My husband & I were married in the Merry Go Round Room on Friday January 3rd & despite the fact that the weather was a little tough on us Dina, Rich, & the whole staff were incredible! Dina was amazing every since I first started looking into Bear mountain for the wedding & made everything happen exactly how it was meant to happen! Not only was she there for me all through out the planning but on the night of my wedding she was right there helping with everything she could to make our day special. I don't know what I would have done without Dina!! Thank you!!
Rich was also a huge part of our big day! He took care of everything.. from taking my coat to planning the delivery of the food, he was unbelievable! He has such a great sense of humor & makes everything flow so smoothly! I am so thankful for Dina, Rich, & the staff!! Even the hotel stay was amazing! All of the staff at the hotels treated us & our guests like family & that means so much to me!! The grounds are so pretty in the snow & the staff took care of walkways for everyone who was walking from the Inn to the Merry Go Round Room which everyone was so thankful for!!!
Thank you so much for making our wedding day perfect! We will be back soon for more overnight stays & visits!! Thank you so much Bear Mountain!! :)
-Stacy

Room Tip: We were in the bridal suite & i would tell everyone to stay there! The prices are great & th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

We couldn't be more thrilled for you! It was certainly our pleasure to have the opportunity to be a part of your remarkable day - thank you! We send you a lifetime of blessings and happiness and can't wait to see you again soon.

All our Best!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

After a long renovation I'm happy to say I had a very nice experience returning. I grew up going to Bear Mountain all my life. Really enjoyed the dinner we had and sitting in front of the fireplace for a long dinner. We weren't rushed at all and our server Heidi was very helpful about the choices on the menu and personable. I felt at home again. The Inn now has a spa which I plan on going back to try out as I heard nice things about it. The food was delicious and the portions very nice. Looking forward to spending a lot of time back up in one of my "happy places."

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

We are just as happy to be back - and thrilled that you enjoyed your first experience back. We can't wait to welcome you again!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Inn for New Year's eve. It was $125 for a very limited menu, and no main course selection. There was a DJ in place of the 16 piece orchestra I once remembered. We left disappointed and hungry. We also stayed over night. The rooms were comfy and clean. However, the heating system is horrible and noisy. After many years of being closed, the renovation was also a big disappointment since we have been coming to Bear Mountain since l969. The main lodging area where the fireplace still stands is now converted to a restaurant, therefore, there are no chairs or couches where one can relax and stay awhile and enjoy an irish coffee. They totally removed the main staircase which was an iconic feature of the inn and is now gone. They absolutely butchered the place. There is no main entrance like there use to be. You have to walk on the side to enter. The place is now a bunch of hallways. If you remember the Cub Room, it is now cut in half. They closed original arch ways and opened up new holes in walls and tried to match up the old original rocks with some new rocks and you can actually see the difference. WHO WERE THE ARCHITECTS!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms and the inn are OK if you don't mind the heating system noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mickey071
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Please accept our apologies that we left you disappointed with your New Year's Eve experience. We strive to offer the very best to our guests, particularly during holiday events, and will absolutely ensure that we take your comments in to account when planning future events.

All the Best.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The grounds are beautiful but parking can literally be a bear and confusing. We stayed one night for a wedding and even though we would have stayed more nights could not due to the Inn being full the previous and post nights. You need to make sure you know if you are in the Lodge or the Inn because the are quite a bit always. If staying at the Inn, you are forced to park with the rest of the visitors which meant about 20 cars deep to get to the parking stations and quite a few minutes wait while you aren't totally sure it is the right parking line to be in. Once you get to the front, you'll notice a few guest spots for check-in and I'd advise using them. Parking is $8 for visitors to the state park, but free for guests of the Inn and they have some close reserved spots for guests.

The King suite was really nicely decorated, spacious and clean. The heat was slow to keep the place warm but was quiet. The only downside to the room was hearing hallway noise and sometimes the kids in the next room. Also, I hate when to get a hot shower requires the knob turned all the way to hot and it is still high warmish. The water pressure was just okay in the shower. There was no tub for ladies wanting a semi-warm bath. The front desk and staff working the wedding were friendly and helpful.

The Sunday brunch looked horrible for $20 per person. As the other reviewer said, not well stocked and not much selection. We opted for burgers and fries off the menu and were pleased with that. The service was average to poor.

Let's face it, if you have to be at Bear Mountain, they have a captive audience. It is relatively close to West Point too, but if you have other options I might explore them.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Phoenixroby
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at Bear Mountain. We continually work with New York State Parks to improve and make the parking as user-friendly as possible. Thank you for sharing your ‘tips’ however with future guests – we will better communicate via our confirmation forms regarding the complimentary parking for overnight guests.

Please accept our apologies that Brunch service was less than desirable. We are continuously trying to find the best-fit for this service at Bear Mountain and we will strive to make this a wonderful offering.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for a wedding we were attending. We were charged a higher rate ($50 more) that what was quoted for the wedding party guests. We let it slide. BUT THEN...we got to our room, very cute, quaint and relatively comfy. No complaints on the look of the room. The heater/AC is ridiculously loud and sounds like a shot gun when it turns on (repeatedly throughout the night).
So, my husband and I both needed to shower before the 6pm wedding. I got in the shower, and about 2 minutes into the shower I had water up past my ankles. I finished out my shower, but by the end, it was at my shins. It took about 30 minuted to drain out, at which time my husband was finally able to shower. When we alerted the staff about the issue, they simply said, "Oh, thanks for telling us. We will look into it."
Uh, ok??
The wedding was beautiful and the staff was polite. The next morning, when we arrived at the continental breakfast, around 9am, half the items were gone or near empty (breakfast is until 10am, so they still had an hour to go). My husband had to ask the staff member if she could bring out more waffle mix. I was eating oatmeal, but there were no spoons. He also asked her if we could have some utensils. About 10 minutes later, she finally surfaced with the waffle mix, no utensils. There was also no syrup, and the container that held the coffee creamer was empty. We asked her for the utensils again, and some syrup. As we waited at our table, we watched, at least 5 servers, stand around and talk about their prior night's activities right in front of all of us (highly unprofessional in my opinion). Finally, the server brought out a couple forks and spoons. My husband, very kindly (she's lucky I didn't ask, because I am not nearly as patient as my husband), asked if she could please bring us some syrup for our waffles. Here was the response he received, "I only have 2 hands, I'll get it in a minute."
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!??
I know that the Inn was renovated in the last 8 years, but clearly the SERVICE aspect was NOT updated. It's really unfortunate, because with a better service staff and a higher value for customer service, the Bear Mountain Inn could be a great place.
We will NOT be returning to Bear Mountain Inn for a stay. Granted, there are lots of activities offered on the grounds, but luckily, we live only 20 minutes away, and will never 'need' to stay again. I do NOT recommend staying in the Inn if good service is something you are accustomed to having while staying in a hotel/inn/lodge.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Please accept our most sincere apologies – the service you received is not at all indicative of what we expect of our team members. In order to most effectively address your service issues, I encourage you to contact me directly. Our hopes are that we can use your comments to coach our team members. At your leisure, I encourage you to contact me.

Once again, I apologize that we have left you feeling disappointed, and hope to have the opportunity to speak with you further.

All the Best!
morrisl@guestservices.com

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I really love this place, but its the potential and the buildings that are amazing, versus the reality. This is not a chain hotel so don't expect perfect service.

Things have become a bit touristy over time, but the value is very good, a room is about $150 a night off season. Hiking is great, the carousel, pool, ice skating is all awesome. Rooms are nice in the Inn, cottages are fine and would be ideal to have 2 - 4 couples/families stay in the same one.

When you pull up, there is this huge paved area and no real direction as to how to go to the check in. Seems like they could have renovated the front area and made a welcoming entrance with a sign that points where to go. Instead, you sort of wonder what door to use and find your way past a closed cafe to a (sometimes empty) front desk. Also the cottages and Lodge are disconnected from the Inn, so better signs and maybe the offer of a ride if needed after dinner would make things safer for guests.

Inside and out this is a great old inn, recently renovated nice, clean rooms. Agree with others that the thermostat seems to be fake as it doesn't change the room temp, and the heating system is very loud, woke us up a few times. The front desk service is awkward - I went to the front desk 3x during my stay and no one was ever there. First night we waited over 15 mins, still no one. Once they got back, he got on the phone, was another 5 mins, eventually got to us, didn't even pretend to be slightly sorry. Staff I spoke to didn't know much about the hiking, which seems weird.

Restaurant staff are nice, but this is not fine dining, Dining room is open odd hours and dinner isn't served past 8:30pm (!) so plan around it so you aren't stuck w/o food. The restaurant is fine, although I'd recommend that they stick to a theme instead of 1 of everything (burger, italian, curry, chilaquiles, tapas?! - not exactly consistent). Head to nearby Peekskill for truly great restaurants. 1st floor Cafe seems to rarely be open - bring your own bottled water, snacks, etc.

Decor is pushing the edge of disney-bear theme - some parts are lovely, some are corny. I wish the bar was some wood paneled, cozy place with a big fireplace where you order endless hot toddy's - instead its 1999 birch wood chairs with a guy belting out piano tunes and a dude offering Fireball shots at the bar. Definitely not consistent with the rustic theme in the rest of the place. Oh well.

Totally agree w/ another reviewer that the details on history would be great to know! It's 100 years old - historic pictures have no captions or years, there is little info.

All this being said, I've been here twice and will likely come back because of the hiking and value. Great place, odd service, perfect for families/kids as the slightly touristy parts are fine for them.

Room Tip: Ask for a view, and some rooms are dark so ask to avoid those.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We absolutely agree that great service should be synonymous with a stay at Bear Mountain, and I have taken the liberty of forwarding your thoughts directly to our operating managers – specifically the Front Desk and Restaurant.

Thank you for recommending the addition of some historical data. We are actually in the process of producing this information – as you might guess, with well over 200 years of history associated with Bear Mountain, there is a ‘mountain’ of data to include.

Our goal is to show you a much more indicative service level during your next stay. We apologize, and thank you for taking some time to share your thoughts.

All the Best!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

On a recent getaway, lovely companion and I spent a night at the newly renovated Inn. It had been many years since either of us had been here and we'd heard there had been significant renovations.
Much of the rustic charm is still here albeit with an attempt at a 4 star treatment.
We stayed in a two bath king suite and the layout was very impressive. A couple of disappointments however; an electric fireplace, overly confusing TV/Sat, one of the noisiest HVAC systems we've encountered, with no ability to turn it off and no blanket for the bed only a spread (in the winter?).
The evening bartender had a distinct lack of personality (although the the 'tender the next day was a peach). Service in the dining room was professional and truly first rate while the food was merely ok.
The new Spa was only steps from our room (a real pleasure) and we (mostly) enjoyed our massages.
Everyone who's been to the Inn in past years remembers the massive central stone fireplace and it's still there of course, however now located in the dining room. So no more lounging in the chairs with friends in front of the roaring fire.
All in all we had a nice stay and will likely return.

Room Tip: Stay in the 2 bath King suite if your budget permits
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bear Mountain
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley

Been to Bear Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!