“Beautiful location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
red bank, nj
“Beautiful location”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night, the day before Christmas Eve to prep mentally for the family visit. Visited the spa which was on the same floor as our room, and that was kinda nice. Great massage. The inn itself is gorgeous, clean and beautifully decorated for the holidays, lots of sitting areas to enjoy. We spent a lot of time at the tapas bar for drinks and a very tasty lunch. We were disappointed the main dining hall was not open on a Monday for dinner but we liked the service at the tapas lounge, the bartenders were super friendly and nice and drinks were festive and delicious. The dining room was also beautiful with the giant fireplace and great views. Maybe next time we will time it better. The room itself was really nice. We got the romance package which meant champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. They were yum but not sure it was worth the extra price. Bed was super comfy. It was just a bummer we had to go out for dinner. Stayed in a nice king on the 3rd floor, shower was huge, room was clean and spacious. Breakfast in the morning was continental but the waffle maker was nice. I think the highlight was the zoo. We loved the walk along the lake and the bears and other animals. The area is gorgeous. I would definitely stay longer next time, maybe take advantage of the ice rink and other things.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed December 17, 2013

It took a long time for the renovations to be completed but they did a really nice job and the result is a lodge that feels like it could be located very far from NY but this lodge is not. It's a minutes drive from the Bear Mountain bridge to the Inn. The rooms are really clean and have a modern/rustic feel to them. Oddly, the bathroom was huge but did not have a bathtub in it. The windows in the room are small but the views are great. The check in process was smooth which was nice as we were there via a Groupon voucher.

The restaurant was a real surprise as we had a top notch meal which was reasonably priced. The wait staff (Gil and company) is very professional and will make you welcome. The crispy pork chop is unbelievable. The bar and the restaurant have really nice lake views which were made even better with snow on the ground. The only thing that could've made it better was if they had the massive fireplace on as the restaurant felt somewhat cold. Seemed like the huge fireplaces should be found in the Inn's lobby as well but there are none that we saw down there.

The breakfast was surprisingly very good, we especially liked the waffles. Great place for a cozy wedding venue or just a nice spot to relax and watch people ice skate and sleigh ride down the hill when it's cold out. Staff were all very friendly. Already looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Room 304 has nice views of lake hessian
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gimper90
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
We could not be more excited that you enjoyed your stay at Bear Mountain! Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
We would LOVE it if there were fireplaces in the lobby of the Inn as well. The Inn was originally built in 1915 however, and we are thrilled to have maintained the history of the building.
We can't wait to welcome you back for your next visit. It would be an honor to have you as a return guest.

All the Best!
Boston
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Staying at the Bear Mountain Inn is a treat. The park itself offers great activities (zoo, ice rink, lake for boating, hiking trails) so the recent renovations to the Inn put you at the heart of it, making the experience different from most getaways we've had. And even if you dont have fond memories of the place from your childhood it is a warm, cozy feel with all the modern traveler needs fulfilled.
I found the staff to be very polite. Maybe there is a need of more training or more staff (small issues like being told over the phone that every room has the same view when the opposite is true- and no two rooms are alike, also at check in Bobby was terrifically helpful but kept getting interrupted by a co-worker who needed help. Maybe I just ran into two newbies). The food and bar service at The 1915 was very good , but a little over priced I thought.
The rooms are spacious and I loved the comfortable rustic chic decorative touches. Roomy bath and super comfy beds. However, our room was one that could be adjoining and we could hear every word next door. Also the air kicked on and off repeatedly at night with a "snap, crackle and pop" sound.
We only had one small, oddly placed window but we moved a chair and created a cozy reading nook with a pretty view. Such is the modernization of a historic building and we loved that they are retaining the character. Along those lines, I was disappointed not to see more on the history of the Inn and park. Yes, it is evident it was built in 1915 but by who, what for, for how much? Who is this Perkins we see mentioned? There are lots of nostalgic photos about which only leave you wanting to know more. If that information is available, it isnt obvious.
Overall, very nice but the noise in the room was the main concern. We will come back but with earplugs since this is a really nice place with lots to see and do.

• Stayed November 2013
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts! We couldn't be more pleased that you not only enjoyed your stay at the Bear Mountain Inn, but also appreciate all the historical nuances that come with a property of its age.
We are working on putting together historical information on the park - the problem is that there is just so much! There are several books available in the Bear Mountain Trading Company gift shop, but condensing all this information into one quick reference is a precarious process.
We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience more of Bear Mountain's beauty. Thank you again for taking some time to offer your review.

All the Best.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding at the Overlook Lodge this weekend and stayed in the lodge and the cottages! Everything was wonderful and beautiful. Dina did a fantastic job finalizing details and making sure everything went smoothly. We have received tons of compliments from our guests that the food was awesome and they loved the rooms they stayed on. So glad we had our wedding here!!!! Would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed everything, and that we were so blessed to have the opportunity to host your friends and family! We can't wait to have you back.

Best Wishes to you both!
Rochester, New York
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My husband & I met at the Inn in 1966. We were part of a group of 30-35 college kids hired to stay on the property and work the summer at the Inn or at the Seven Lakes Dr. beaches. He was a 'townie', I from far across the state. Most of our original group returned for 3 summers. We partied & lived pretty much as depicted in "Dirty Dancing". We had a great time and made great $$ for school. We have returned often and still, sometimes with other family members and /or to visit his family members.
The magnificent Inn, built of native stone and huge timber in 1915, was closed for 9 years, just reopening in 2011 but we visited a couple years ago with grandkids to see 'Grape Gramma' and we all enjoyed the unique carousel, the spectacular view of NYC & New Jersey from atop Perkins Dr. and nostalgic and very scenic tours around the area, West Point, Ft Knox, the Bear Mt Bridge in the interim.
We were just there in October 2013 for the famous or infamous Bear Mountain Oktoberfest recc'd by a new acquaintance from that area. We picked up hubby's 102 yr-old Mom from the Senior facility, put her in a wheelchair covered with a blanket, to feast on real German beer and authentic food while singing to an Oompah Band. DON'T DO IT !!!!! The traffic for 20 miles and parking were a NIGHTMARE. It's wall to wall people and dogs, 2 hour lines for a beer and a different 2 hour line for anything to eat beyond a pretzel. The size of this event has hugely outgrown the facilities available. Unless 3-4 more kitchen/beer and seating areas are added... go up near the Inn ANY other time but weekends in the Fall. The venue around the grounds near the Inn couldn't be prettier but go some other time, and buy a beer and knockwurst in town.

Room Tip: We did not stay nor eat at the hotel so can't offer any tips but the location and renovations ar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FeithRochesterNY
Cornwall, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently had my wife's 50th birthday party @ the "cliff" house @ bear mountain, what a wonderful experience we had from the very start, the planning with Brittany from catering did an unbelievable job, took to every detail. She and her staff were amazing, and the food was first rate. The cliff house was the perfect setting for our event, everyone from our party was so impressed with the location, people said they'd come back just to have dinner there. Well done, professional, priced right, it was a hit on every level. Four stars for sure, my wife and family will talk about this event for years to come. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Terry M
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We drove to this beautiful spot with visiting family. The Inn from the exterior looked beautiful set against the blue sky.

First off we were seated in the Tapas Bar by the serving area. I had a clear view of kids seats stacked up, cutlery and other clutter - I should have taken that as a sign!

Our waitress Nicole was either having an off day or had never been trained properly. I'm from Britain where our service can often be lacking and curt so I was surprised by this in America where it is normally excellent.

We ordered and waited, and waited and waited. In that time my husband pointed out I needed another drink. Then we waited some more. My Father in Law very politely said we had to pick up my son from school would this take long to which she replied "Well if you stopped, stopping me it would take less time."

It seemed there had been a problem with the order going through (computer said no) Soup as a starter eventually arrived for my Mother in Law and we waited some more for our mains.

Forty five minutes later my Bratwurst arrived! Yeah - you can't really go wrong with sausage can you? Well it seems the Chef was also having an off day. Check out the picture of my lunch.

What I witnessed today was a bunch of young people with little or no direction who were going through the motions (badly)

I complained so my dish was taken off the bill and the supervisor gave me a slice of apple pie for our trouble. Humble Pie would have been more appropriate - next time I will take something I prepared from home.

Stayed November 2013
5 Thank Only1rara
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
We are so very sorry for the service, treatment, and hospitality you received during your recent visit to Bear Mountain. Please accept our apologies. I have forwarded your comments to our management team for immediate corrective action, and so that situations like this are never experienced by our guests again in the future. This is not at all indicative of the standards we expect of our team members.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. We will use your comments to grow and perform better.

All the Best.
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson

Been to Bear Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!