“Really Perfect”

Bear Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bear Mountain
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Charm, natural beauty, great service, wonderful rooms. This is a great choice in the area. I arrived exhausted and was thrilled to see how really lovely this hotel is. It is quiet and full of that backwoods charm. I had the opportunity to take a short hike after my work day and then just relax and enjoy the views. I stayed here for business, but there were lots of families with really happy children sporting “junior ranger” hats and having a great time. The staff are delightful and very helpful as well.

Room Tip: In addition to the main lodge there are some really cool looking stone cabins that might also be goo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Bear Mountain Inn

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the inn for two nights after long days of hiking the Appalachian Trail. Every employee we came in contact with, (housekeeping, wait staff, front desk, spa) was exceedingly pleasant and helpful! We had a few small special requests during our stay and each one was filled promptly. We had a fabulous meal at the 1915 restaurant (the hanger steak) and thoroughly enjoyed the comfort of the beds and pillows, as our bodies were rather sore!
As some previous reviewers have noted, the only negative to this location is the lack of attention to the park area by NYS. (I hope the Inn forwards those reviews to the Parks Department)
We had such a great time hiking the beautiful trails that we are planning to return in October!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our extended family just returned from a 3 night stay at the Bear Mountain Inn. Our group ranged in age from 10 months to 79 years and there was something for everyone. We had such a good time that we're already talking about plans for a repeat vacation next year! It is the perfect spot. So much to do right there at Bear Mountain State park - walking around the lake, paddle boating or rowing on the lake, hiking, the pool, the zoo, the merry-go-round, biking, driving to Perkins Tower for spectacular views. There is also so much to do in very close driving distance - West Point, Storm King Art Center, Manitoga, Cold Spring, Woodbury Outlets Center - we kept saying "so much to do - so little time".
The hotel rooms are very spacious and very nicely redone. They still have some kinks to work out with the Air Conditioning - but we have the assurance from the VERY helpful and courteous staff that they are working on it.
Bobby at the front desk took wonderful care of us and really made us feel at home.
We are so happy to have found this GEM.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori B
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

We are so thrilled that your enjoyed your stay! Bear Mountain is truly a wonderful place and it is a pleasure to welcome our guests to indulge in its beauty. We would consider it an honor to welcome you and your family back to stay with us! Looking forward to seeing you all again very soon.

Our Best!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our company chose Bear Mountain Inn and Park to host our annual summer outing for a day for our staff. We wanted to have a picnic and an opportunity with getting our staff out-of-doors. Bear Mountain Inn catered our picnic. The food was great, our staff loved the menu and the facility accomodated our vegetarian and vegan staff. The staff at Bear Mountain Inn took great care of our staff and their service was exceptional and friendly. The park itself was amazing and there was a lot of opportunities for hiking, boating, swimming and visiting the museum. We had such a great time that we plan to go back next summer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed yourself, and look forward to welcoming you back next summer!

All the Best!

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Food at bar was some of the best I've had in NY. Bar staff brilliant. Breakfast very disappointing, plastic plates, the worlds worst coffee, and limited choice with unhappy staff. But our room was great, checkin staff fab too.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I had the opportunity to take an overnight to the newly renovated Bear Mountain Inn. There was no "musty smell" as others have stated, and I have a very sensitive nose. Our room was ready early and the desk staff was very friendly. The room itself is lovely; a VERY comfortable bed and a gorgeous bathroom. The Inn is VERY old so reasonable expectations re: windows, views etc. need to be kept in perspective.
It would be good to add screens to the windows. I prefer fresh air at night and I was a little hesitant to open the windows wide due to a lack of screens.
We ate dinner at 1915, the restaurant on the second floor. Simply put, the food was superb. Not to be missed was the lamb (3 different cuts, all prepared in different ways) and the salmon. Dessert was outrageous; don't miss the homemade banana bread french toast; not something I would typically order but it was DELICIOUS. My husband had the skillet Tollhouse cookie and that was outstanding. The final bill was not too bad, but I should note that as others have said, the portions are relatively small.
The waitstaff was vigilant and friendly. We found this to be true throughout the Inn. The chef (Michael) came by our table to see how we were enjoying ourselves; we had a lovely conversation with him. By the following morning, staff were greeting us like old friends. With only 15 rooms in the Inn, the staff quickly recognizes you and makes a point to be friendly, which was a nice touch.

Others have noted that the park itself can be somewhat dirty and loud. This is true; it is important to remember that the Bear Mountain Inn has NOTHING to do with park maintenance. That job falls to the NYS Parks Dept, and frankly they are a little lazy about keeping this park pristine. We found as always, once we were hiking some trails we "got away" from the boisterous, annoying folks. Also, we tend to hike early in the day and we avoid being there on weekends in the summer.

We will be back. The renovations are wonderful and the food is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators or you will hear the "Ping" of the elevator through...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nancycccslp_11

We are absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Bear Mountain truly is a remarkable place, full of magical history. We look forward to welcoming you back.

All the Best!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We just got back from an overnight at Bear Mountain Inn. Over 30 years ago we stayed in one of the cottages and had many fond memories of our stay. When I saw a special on the web I had to go for it. We stayed at the Lodge. We got there a little early but were given a room key card and left our bags. The front desk person was all that we would want in terms of attitude and info. The room was great and a place we could spend several days in.
We walked a lot and loved the zoo and the layout of the property. It brought back memories from our last visit. Since the park is open to the public, who can control the actions of the people that come there. We didn't see any bad stuff or misuse of the area.
One of the high points was dinner at the Inn. The whole staff was outstanding. I had steak and my wife had fish. We agreed that it was one of the best meals we ever had. I told her that I felt we were eating in a highly rated restaurant. The best thing for me was the after meal, Irish Coffee with dessert. It lived up to my memories from our last visit 30 years ago.
After reading some of the negitive reviews, I feel that they must have been talking about a different place. We loved it and plan to go back with our kids and grandchildren in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson

Been to Bear Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!