Bear Mountain Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
FairBridge Inn & Suites(Highland Falls)
View Hotel
West Point Motel(Highland Falls)
View Hotel
The Thayer Hotel(West Point)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Budget Motor Inn(Stony Point)
  • Fitness center
Americas Best Value Inn(Central Valley)
View Hotel
All reviewswest pointoverlook lodgethe ice skating rinkcontinental breakfasthiking trailspaddle boatshudson rivermain buildingking suiteblue roofrooms are largethird floorhessian lakenew york cityyogurtweddingfireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2012

While the newly renovated Inn is (or will be when completely COMPLETED) is lovely, it should not be open yet, as the hotel is still not finished. Also, there were hundreds of people enjoying the park on the hotel grounds, and all over the parking lot which was impossible to get into to, when I checked in. No ice machines yet, also dining is very limited yet. I think they should have waited to open when the hotel and restaurants are actually DONE being renovated.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Bookworms5
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel was recently reopened after many years closed and it has not yet become a real hotel. The service was terrible. The directions on the web had some errors and I called the hotel for help. No one at the desk could help although it turned out we were close. Finally, the found someone but even she was not as helpful as I would expect. The hotel is in a spectacular location and the room is beautifully decorated. The beds were fine but the pillows were too big and hard and uncomfortable. The water has a slightly foul smell (I think it is well water) and showering was unpleasant. We were very disappointed to find out all the restaurants were closed except on the weekend. No one at the desk could recommend anywhere to eat supper or offer directions anywhere or even express the slightest interest in our desire for food. We went into the very depressed town nearby and had an awful meal at a BBQ place. The hotel should be able to either serve a decent meal or tell us where to get one. Even asking for ice was a problem and they had to go somewhere in the basement to get it and that took a while. The pool which is pictured on the web site is a public pool, it charges and it requires a car to get there. It is in a truly spectacular location with incredible views. I think a hiker or nature lover would enjoy this place. We stayed one night as we are driving south and it really is not set up to be a real hotel with the usual service I would expect. Since we paid a premium hotel price, I think we can reasonably expect a proper hotel experience and this was not provided.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank CapitalMom
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so much for your review and for taking some time to give us feedback. Not matter the content - we are always grateful to hear from guests regarding their experience.
While the growth and renewal continues throughout the Bear Mountain Inn, we have had to weather some growing pains. Please accept my most sincere of apologies. I am so sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, and please let me assure you that the service you received is most definitely not the standard to which we hold ourselves. Your review will be used as a training point for all the points of service you referenced where we could have performed better.
You will be happy to know that Bear Mountain State Park is in the process of reviewing and possibly renovating the fresh water service received by the Inn. You are correct - the water is fresh ground water, and remains a bit out of our control, however we are always willing to go to bat for what will serve our guests best.
I do encourage you to contact me directly (239.593.3339) should you like to discuss your experience further. As well, I would love to have you return to our property at anytime in the future. I can assure you that you will receive service to the standard we expect from all our staff and our property.

All the Best!
Liz Morris

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Although The Bear Mountain Inn does have a few maintenance issues it is a great hotel. I believe some of the people on here leaving critical reviews seem to forget that the buildings are over 100 years old and they are state owned IN A STATE PARK. There will be bugs outside. There will be minor issues here and there. It comes with the history. By yelling at the employees for things they cannot help only makes the guests look ignorant. I think sometimes people tend to think they are entitled. I watched the poor front desk girl getting screamed at by a gentleman last week when we stayed there because he 'did not expect it to be so cozy and he wanted a luxurious room. I'm not sure where he thought he booked a room?!

About the hotel...
1) The staff is amazing. Super friendly. Super helpful. And very knowledgeable about the area. Kelly is amazing and the last few times we have stayed there she has not only remembered us by name but also remembered what beer we drink. We even bought her flowers last year as a thank you for making our trip a great experience.
2) The location is fantastic. You have a merry go round, hiking trails, boat rentals on the lake, fishing on the lake, an outdoor swimming pool, zoo, and museum! Plenty to do while you spend your day at their hotel.
3) The rooms are great, spacious, clean, comfortable.... everything you could ask for.
4) The views are to die for. I read a comment saying that the breathtaking views are anything but... BUT that is not the case. From the view rooms during summer you cannot see the view that the lobby has to offer (although you do have a gorgeous view) but you have to relize again that its a state park with trees that do grow leaves in the summer. You can even see all the way to the Hudson River.

I love the hotel. And just couldn't keep watching this nasty reviews coming in any longer. I think some people need to reflect on themselves, their attitudes, and their standards. It is not a 5-star hotel so dont expect that! And the staff would be more willing to bend over backwards for you if you are kind to them and stop cursing them out for idiotic reasons.

WE WILL BE BACK TO STAY SOON! (:

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Katie S
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in the middle of the week in the summer. The semi-private lake is gorgeous, and the friendly staff don't have the formal rules you might find at other places, so you can just walk down to the lake and take out their canoes, kayaks or paddle boats. A hundred yards from the entrance is the trail head for a 1.5 hour hike up Bear Mountain, which starts out steep and is somewhat overgrown but yields incredible views of the surrounding mountains and lakes. For a completely relaxing and quick hike, you can drive 10 minutes and climb the broad trail up Hawk Mountain, which also leads to a great vista. When we were tired, we built a fire on their outdoor stone pit, and then sat in their outdoor jacuzzi and just enjoyed the peacefulness. The breakfasts were delicious, and they accommodated our vegetarianism wonderfully. They even let us sleep in late and have breakfast at 10 or 10:30. We will definitely go back if we have the chance.

Room Tip: We liked one of the rooms, the Polo Room, that was on the corner and had a great view and had an attached bathroom, yet was affordable.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph M
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We had 37 people from our family stay here over Mother's day weekend for a family reunion. Some stayed at the Inn down by the lake and some in the stone cottages above the lake. The Inn has been recently renovated and they have some "start-up" issue. Little things like we needed an extra "key" but it could only be made at the Overlook Lodge, so it took a while. The rooms were excellent. The continental breakfast is a little weak but OK. The stone cottages were great for the families with kids. Rooms are very good and the central room and large porch gave us a place out of the weather (not needed this visit). We had a dinner set up for all of us and they did and excellent job, great food and service and they handled our several allergy issues perfectly!

Room Tip: Stone cottages can be problematic if you share with other guests. We had an entire cottage but all our kids could easily been too much if there had been others in with us. Don't know how you could know who you are "sharing" with
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family