“Beautiful place”

Bear Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bear Mountain
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This is a great place for family. The Inn is completely beautiful. You have so many activities to do around the area, hiking, swimming, rowboat, zoo and picnic. We enjoy every moment and we definitely going to visit again.

There are newer reviews for Bear Mountain Inn

Reviewed May 1, 2012

My family stayd at the Spring Cottage for a recent weekend to celebrate my 75th Birthday. The cottage holds 6 bedrooms with a large central area in which to hang out or eat,play games, talk and generally have a good time. The rooms have recently been renovated but it still retains its wonderful rustic decor. The cottage had a spectacular view of Hessian Lake and was close to the Overlook Lodge whaich has an even more specatcular view- includes both the lake and the Hudson river. We hiked on Saturday afternoon. taking the AT to the Perkins Memorial Tower adn then coming back on a challenging Mahor Welch Trail. On Sunday morning we had a continental breakfast at the Overlook Lodge that was included with the room. The weather was nice enough to eat outside. What a wonderful birthday I had.

Room Tip: Spring Cottage has a great view but then so do the other cottages
2  Thank amezey
Liz M, Director of Sales at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so very much for taking some time to share your thoughts regarding Bear Mountain Inn and Overlook Lodge! Our success can only be measured through amazing guest experiences, and to know that you and your family truly enjoyed your stay is incredibly gratifying.
Bear Mountain Inn and Overlook Lodge as well as Bear Mountain State Park really have so much to offer - we are delighted to hear that you had the opportunity to take advantage of so much during your stay.
It would be an absolute pleasure to have yourself and your family return to us at anytime. I encourage you to contact me directly should there be anything I can assist with. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you for your kind words.

All the Best!
Liz Morris
239.593.3339

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed at the Overlook Lodge when we visited our cousin at West Point. The signs to find the overlook are not easy to read, but it was daylight so we did not have trouble finding the lodge. At first the freont desk tried to give me a room in one of their cabins (it only had a queen bed and we have three children). When I showed them my e-mail reservation they gave me the room I had reserved, although this took a while. The rest of the trip was just fine. The breakfast was good (cereal, muffins, pasteries). The room was new and everything was very clean. The view we had was fantastic. Overall, I would stay here again. Bear Mountain has a great view of New York City and it was very close to West Point.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room away from the front entrance. It was very noisy. We did not mind the nois...
Reviewed April 16, 2012

When we arrived at the Inn, there was no identifying sign at the entrance, other than "No public restrooms." How inviting! When we found the front desk there was no one to check us in. Someone from the dining room told us that in order to check in we had to drive to another location. After doing so, we drove back to the Inn, where there were no signs pointing out how one might find the room. Another wandering staff person took us past a door that said "This area closed," and led us to the elevator. In the room, which was admittedly clean, reflecting a recent refurbishing, there was a satellite-connected TV, but with no instructions or listing of channels. On our own we were able to tune in a couple of channels, but most of what we were looking for were inaccessible. We called the front desk--several times--but each time we reached only voice-mail. Later when we encountered a member of the staff, we asked about the TV. He came into the room and tried to get it to work, but finally gave up, and said he'd have to check with someone else. Although the room was newly furnished, my wife found the bed uncomfortable, and was sure it was old. Many items one would take for granted--e.g. cups or glasses for water, ice bucket--were missing. We tried the dining room for lunch, but the salads we ordered were tiny and consisted of a few leaves and a bare minimum of other items. And they were priced at the level of a side salad at a $$$ restaurant. In fact, the entire menu was priced at that level, although the quality was at the $ level. I must say that the staff people we encountered were congenial enough, but no one seemed to know anything, or feel responsible for the fact that they didn't. (Lots of sheepish grins and shoulder-shrugging.) If they had offered us a 50% discount to be "guinea pigs" and trouble-shoot the rooms, I would have no complaint. But they are charging full-price rates while providing incomplete accommodations and inadequate service. Hopefully the situation will improve in the future, but I suggest that prospective visitors planning a stay near the date of this review proceed with caution.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Limmson
Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Bear Mountain Inn is a nice alternative to some of the chain hotels in the area, particularly if you are visiting West Point. The lodge itself is nice and, and the stone cottages are also fairly nice particularly if you need a few rooms (only 2 can fit in one room). The stone cottages need some work inside and out though. We had a problem with our TV and were not able to watch it for the 2 nights we stayed there. We also had a problem with the A/C in August. We have reservations at the newly renovated Inn very soon and look forward to seeing what they've done to improve it. The front desk needs a happier, more accommodating crowd. The desk manager we have run into a few times is less than friendly. The hotel desperately needs to do something about their phone system. Often you will call and receive a busy signal for hours. I have recently been trying to contact the hotel, and when I press "0" for the front desk, nothing happens. There is dead silence and I have been transferred nowhere. I have been trying for 2 days to reach someone to check on our reservation at the Inn. If you try to send an email, you cannot type fast enough. It says "timed out". Thus, perhaps a fax or a written letter is the way to go to actually get some help. I hope they improve on some things as it is seemingly the best place to stay in the area other than staying right on post at West Point at the Thayer Hotel. If they don't improve on some things, they will lose a lot of business to the Holiday Inn Express and other hotels in the area and perhaps in Fishkill I'm quite sure.

Room Tip: If you want more than one room or have more than 2 people in a room, chose the lodge or perhaps Inn...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TallieB
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I never been to bear mountain before and wanted to experience the outdoor adventure of it all. I looked online and found Bear Mountain Inn and booked it for the weekend. Getting there was fairly easy however it was a bit confusing when you first enter the compound because they have all the cabins situated first up the drive and there's no directions to check-in. The Bear Mountain Inn was closed and you had to detour the resort to get to the main lodge. Once there everything else was fairly good. Everything was clean and kept up to date, the cabin was beautiful with a minifridge and coffee machine. They had a built in fireplace where you can build a fire. The only problem was the phones didn't work in the rooms. The next day they provided you with a delicious breakfast. Overall, it was a good trip and I'll definitly come again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, at the end of january.
Our main purpose in the area was doing some shopping at Woodbury and the surrounding area.
Several days before arriving i had some questions via e-mails about the weather in the area and about the check-in, all were answered promptly and courteously.

Upon arriving, we were greeted by a very courteous receptionist (don't remember the name but there is only one at a time) and it took only several minutes to get our room key and wi-fi password (we had the Deluxe room which included a complementary wi-fi).
Our room was on the second floor, no elevator so we had to use the stairs.
The room was neat and clean, bathroom in very good condition. The kitchenette was very nice, with a microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker and a sink.

In the order we checked a king-size bed but in the room we had 2 queen beds, not ideal but they do state in the order that they cannot guarantee the bed type. The beds were comfortable. Some of the other reviews complained that the rooms smell musty. Our room did had a slight musty smell when we first entered, but this is expected from many hotel rooms, especially in the winter and from hotels located "in the wild", but it didn't really bother me considering that view from the room was beautiful, even in the winter so i could only imagine how it looks in the summer...

While our stay we had a small problem with the t.v, but 5 minutes after a phone call to the receptionist, he came right up to our room and fixed the problem.
When we arrived we were told that every morning they put out fresh coffee and pastries, which the did but we were in a rush each morning so we didn't try it.
The check-out was also quick and hassle free.

To sum up, It's a great hotel, with great atmosphere, 10 minute drive from the city, excellent service and in my opinion, gives the best value for the money in regards to the other hotels/motels in the area.

Room Tip: Get the Deluxe room - bigger and free wi-fi
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
bearmountaininn, Managing Director at Bear Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

I am so glad that you all had such a great time! Thank you so much for all the kind words about the hotel and staff. Hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bear Mountain
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson

Been to Bear Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!