We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“Amazing space to view exciting modern art.”
Review of Dia:Beacon

Dia:Beacon
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Beacon
Certificate of Excellence
More attraction details
Attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1974, this modern art gallery is well-known for a highly unusual, permanent display by conceptual artist Walter De Maria. De Maria's work is a massive display of a 2 foot layer of dirt!
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The museum is inspiring and beautiful. The only other modern museum to date that rivals Dia Beacon is Mass Moca. They both have massive spaces to present works that could not be presented otherwise. Dia's most interesting works include installations from Sol Lewitt, Robert Ryman, Robert Smithson and Andy Warhol.

After you have taken in the art, step outside into the beautiful outdoor space including an installation at the adjacent pier on the river.

Thank Laurelyn
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a ReviewReviews (419)
Traveler rating
Traveler type
Time of year
Language
  • More languages
All reviews
"richard serra"
in 36 reviews
"contemporary art"
in 34 reviews
"sol lewitt"
in 15 reviews
"large scale"
in 14 reviews
"hudson river"
in 29 reviews
"day trip"
in 25 reviews
"louise bourgeois"
in 8 reviews
"biscuit factory"
in 4 reviews
"interesting pieces"
in 6 reviews
"metro north"
in 6 reviews
"book store"
in 7 reviews
"train ride"
in 8 reviews
"amazing space"
in 5 reviews
"on display"
in 13 reviews
"love art"
in 4 reviews
"worth the trip"
in 10 reviews
"works of art"
in 4 reviews
Filter

275 - 279 of 419 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2013

You either need to love very modern art, or enjoy making fun of it! Extensive collection in an interesting format. Good for a day off trip.

1  Thank BobrobinKentNY
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This huge modern art museum is definitely worth a trip. Much of the art is massive in size and this place has the space to exhibit such art as it should be seen. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes!

1  Thank Laura C
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

In my typical modern art museum experience, I prefer a 20-80 percent mix. 20% of the art should be interesting at some level. The art should be visually appealing, should be an interesting concept, or should make me think in a different way. The other 80% can be the typical "Oh Come On!" "Really!". I actually enjoy the artist attempting to justify the work with some ramblings about how the work speaks to the decay of morals in society or how it avenges the deaths of so and so. Unfortunately, the Dia was 100% "Come On!". Massive rooms were filled with only a hand full of paintings. Although it was sort of visually interesting to see the sparse surroundings, that could have been achieved with just an empty room. I have trouble saying this is not worth a visit since I still sort of enjoyed it... but I wish there were at least one or two works that would have held my interest.

1  Thank Ashland A
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I loved the museum. Also interesting for kids. It's a very unique museum on a surprising location (we came with the train from NYC, arrived at a tiny train station in a cute town, and walked to the museum. Very special)

Thank 5maris
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Been to Dia:Beacon? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing