“I'm not an art buff”
Review of Dia:Beacon

Dia:Beacon
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Beacon
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1974, this modern art gallery is well-known for a highly unusual, permanent display by conceptual artist Walter De Maria. De Maria's work is a massive display of a 2 foot layer of dirt!
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I wanted to getaway on MLK Jr. day, so I decided to make the 90 minute trip to Dia: Beacon. My 2-year-old, wife and I, paid the $24 admission fee for two and checked out the place. We toured the place in 20 minutes.

If you are an art buff, the exhibits might be spectacular. The place is spaceous, neat and artsy.

If you are an average guy looking to see something new, this might be OK for you. It could be a good place to take a date - if she's an art buff.

If you are the average father with a family, who is not really into art, skip it. I try to keep an open mind, but some of the exhibits, such as the squares with "Bottom Left Corner" written on the bottom left corners of them failed to impress me.

I might have enjoyed the place more if the weather was warm, so I could walk around the property. However, on a cold winter day in Beacon, this failed to be my highlight. My highlight was going to Max's on Main - the only restaurant open at the time.

All reviews
"worth the trip"
in 10 reviews
"works of art"

Reviewed January 3, 2013

fun collection- takes about 4-5 hours to see everything.

aside from the art, the space itself is also amazing. definitely enjoyed the whole experience - from getting lost inside HUGE richard serra sculptures to ink-stained old nabisco factory space.

take metro-north (hudson line) to beacon, ny. frequent train service, departs from grand central - goes on hudson waterfront with beautiful scene (sit on the left side!). takes about 80mins. you can walk from the train station, or take one of the cabs for $8.

check out Main street while there - cute little cafes and restaurants for a bite.
there is also a quick loop shuttle bus service between DIA and Main street - ask the museum reception. DIA to Main street takes 6-7mins on the shuttle service.

1  Thank sozturkcan
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was one of the better galleries I've been to recently. It is huge - but it's genuinely well curated and there is an intelligent flow between rooms and floors.

Museum opens at 1100, and there was a guided tour at 1300 (on the Saturday when I was there). There is a small cafe (which fills up quite quickly (with people and with the smell of cooking)in the early afternoon) and various outside spaces that can easily become an ad-hoc picnic table, if needed.

You'll probably want to spend about three or four hours here to get a full sense of it.

1  Thank Christopher F
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I'm always amazed about how many New Yorkers haven't been to Dia. One hour on the train from Grand Central and you're in a very unique art environment. World class modern art in a spectacular setting.
I hardly ever go places twice, and I've been to Dia maybe ten times. Of course, I DO live in Beacon!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I went with a few people up to this museum on a Sunday because we were looking for a little day trip upstate. There was quite a bit to see at Dia:Beacon and it was nice because the museum is not crowded like so many in NYC. You can actually walk around and get up close and not have to push through people to see the art. You could be in a room with an exhibit all by yourself. I love that! The sheer size of the building is amazing. The downstairs basement and the outdoor garden are the best parts of the place. There are some really creepy parts to this museum which I also liked. I really enjoyed the trip.

Been to Dia:Beacon? Share your experiences!