“Great food, service sometimes rough”
Review of Isamu

Isamu
Ranked #32 of 76 Restaurants in Beacon
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Can't beat this sushi. Chinese foods are wonderful too. We have brought many friends here (some from Japan who gave it the thumbs up) and we have always been pleased. Service can be a little rough (piling plates at the table) but fast. Food fresh and excellent!

There are newer reviews for Isamu

Reviewed September 15, 2012

It's one of those easy places for good food at more than a reasonable price. We've been there at least 20 times and found it to be consistenly good in every way, what's on the menu, the ambiance, service, speed, and the food itself. And when the check arrives, the bottom line is so modest that first though is something might have been left off in the addition. Definitely a bargain, we are moved to leave a tip well over the normal amount to compensate the servers. Not sure why the other reviewers are so luke-warm, we like it very much and keep going back again and again as do several of our friends.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have to spank them with this review as the last time I was there I had sushi and sashimi and there is NO way that fish was fresh on that day! I am a stickler for absolute freshness when it comes to sushi and it was (not even a lot) but ever so slightly off, which for me is a big no-no!
I took guests there many times and we have enjoyed many good meals there. There prices are reasonable and their quality generally consistently good. Except for this one incident!
I hope they will read this and pay better attention so that they can keep up their otherwise excellent work because I do enjoy going there. The atmosphere is beautiful and calming, it has been a very nice place to bring my clients and guests. The service is not the greatest in the world and could use improvement but it has never been an impediment to us returning so I do hope they will pay greater attention to quality.

1  Thank CatherineNYC1
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Visit Beacon twice a year and this restaurant is convenient for our location and needs when you want to eat decent food fast and pay a reasonable price for it.
The main problem with this place is the service,sloppy and sometimes not all too friendly and their unstable sushi and sashimi quality.Their other dishes are relatively good.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

First let m say how much I love good sushi...and to make this doubly disappointing for me to report, their sushi is quite good.. What is horrendous are their people skills. I have been to this restaurant many times. Service has always been curt and unfriendly but as I said, I love sushi. Never Again will I give them my business. The time before last i got take out. When I looked at my bill I saw they had charged me extra for "crunch" which I did not request. I questioned it but the young woman started raising her voice, waiving a menu in my face and yelling something to the effect that everything had "crunch", I let it be and just paid the extra. Stupid me...and then I actually went back the following week for lunch. I ordered two spicy tuna rolls with avocado and two pieces of sushi along with a green salad. I also asked for a cup of green tea. The food should have been colder. The rolls were room temperature. Now let me explain something about the menu. They list things such as spicy tuna and any any add-ons are extra. There is nothing listed on the menu I was shown saying that every roll had panko. Not everyone wants that. Hello! When I was given my bill they had charged me extra for panko which was not even in my rolls (and extra for a cup of green tea...unusual I think). I only questioned the extra on my bill for the crunch. It was only $2.00 extra and i very nicely asked for it to be removed from my bill. The waitress went ballistic. Long story short, she got in my face waiving the menu around babbling about their being a mistake on the menu. I just told her to fix the bill. Sh refused and was very aggressive and abusive. There was a Beacon councilwoman and her daughter sitting beside me who witnessed the entire exchange. They were in full agreement re the attitude and suggested I contact the beacon free press. They also decided it was their last visit. Too bad. No way to run a business.

Been to Isamu? Share your experiences!