“A delight...........”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beacon
The Swann Inn of Beacon
Ranked #2 of 6 Beacon B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 19, 2010

When my wife and I arrived at The Swann Inn we heard this loud noise coming from around the side of the house. Upon investigation we found our "hostess-to-be" out in the garden wielding a leaf blower, working diligently to evict last fall's leaves from the garden. And, with that same diligence and attention to detail, our hosts, Neil and Darlene Caplan, made our stay at their B&B a delight.

We were booked into one of the three guest rooms on the second floor, but when we arrived, and no one else was scheduled for overnight, Darlene offered up the downstairs master suite, "The Red Room". We jumped at the opportunity. Designed with a Victorian parlor in mind, the room is handsomely appointed. The bed is located in it's own cozy niche with curtains that can be drawn across the entrance.

After a fantastic dinner at the Thai restaurant downtown, Mary and I sat on the front porch and watched the sun dip down below the trees in the distance. The porch extends across the whole front of the house. The wicker chairs and settees are extremely inviting.

Breakfast is served in a bright, cheerful sitting room across from "The Red Room". Well stocked with coffee, tea, cocoa, and some snack items (homemade peanut butter cookies), the room also boasts shelves of books for your perusal and original paintings featuring views of Bannerman Castle. While we were enjoying a delightful breakfast of fruit (what gorgeous fruit plates Neil and Darlene concocted for us), spinach quiche, yogurt, juice and coffee, outside the bay window two of the Caplan's cats were making their rounds of the garden.

When it came time to say our farewells, Polly (short for Pollyanna) the Border Collie was on hand for some last minute "soccer" and attention. We don't get up into the Hudson River Valley as often as we'd like but on our next visit we're going to be sure we book a night, or maybe two, with Neil and Darlene at The Swann Inn of Beacon. And, if you need ideas about where to go, what to visit, and where to eat during your stay in Beacon the Caplan's will be happy to assist.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank hwmccoy

Reviewed April 19, 2010

Had an excellent stay with the very friendly hosts at The Swann. The room was spacious, cozy, and comfortable in every way. The swan-shaped chocolates on the pillows were good, but the highlight was the fruit plate and banana-nut pacakes for breakfast (served with swan-shaped pats of butter).

I hope to return.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robertsiegel1
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I was giving a concert in nearby Marlboro, and decided to stay overnight in Beacon so that I could visit the Dia:Beacon the following day. My cousin and I stayed in the Blue Sky room, which was perfect for us with 2 beds (full & twin). Hosts Neil and Darlene are friendly and helpful -- with advice on area attractions, a delicious breakfast, and a ride to the Dia. The house is warm and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AdamSLevy
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Everything was great for our weekend trip to Beacon, we took a leisurely cruise up on the train, and the owner picked us up at the station. After a quick tour around the quaint town of Beacon, he took us to the B&B & made sure we were comfortable. With the option of either hiking up the small mountain, or walking downtown, we headed to Main Street for some great food, and had a wonderful time visiting the shops. Later that night, we talked to the owner about the abandoned Castle Bannerman down the river, and settled in for a cozy night.
The next day we were treated to an amazing breakfast, and then headed to Dia Beacon, an impressive modern art museum.
I recommend this B&B to everyone, it's a great place to stay, & a wonderful part of historical preservation!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank miamua
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Generally, I have problems with B&Bs; either I feel like I'm intruding on someone's home or the food is too rich and sweet or I feel like I need to entertain the hosts. I like the idea of B&Bs so I keep trying. Well the Swann Inn is a very nice experience. The rooms are cozy, ranging in size from a small to suites. Though we were there in the winter, the garden seemed like it was very nice. It's located off the road, which adds to the sense of being somewhere special. Neil and Darlene were very accommodating: changing breakfast plans for my diet, giving us great restaurant recommendations and directions. They have all day tea and coffee available (and homemade brownies too) which I really enjoyed, especially on the slushy freezing day we were there. The breakfast was delicious. The only thing is that I did feel a bit too well attended to. We both appreciated that our hosts made sure our needs were met, but it was a tad too much. But don't let that minor comment deter you from staying at the Swann Inn. It's a real treat.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed at the Swann Inn for one night in December and had a very positive experience. The house was well-maintained, clean, warm, and beautifully decorated. The owners were friendly and attentive, providing information about the area and its history, and ensuring that we had whatever we needed - including home-baked cookies and banana bread for the road when we checked out. Speaking of which, the food was excellent. The Inn's proximity to the main attractions of Beacon was also a plus. Our room was on the smaller side, but it was sufficient for our needs - and the price was reasonable compared with the other options in the area (especially with a 20% discount they were offering for the month of December.)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrapunzelchen
Reviewed December 22, 2009

A Charming and warm Inn that was recommended by friends of ours. Innkeepers Darlene and Neil were very attentive to our needs and picked us up at the train station and brought us to the Inn and even gave us rides into town. The food and hospitality was fabulous. We loved the quiant little city of Beacon duringt the Holiday Season and we will be back in the summer to hike Mt Beacon.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beacon
The Inn And Spa At Beacon
#1 of 14 in Fishkill
Courtyard Fishkill
Courtyard Fishkill
#7 of 14 in Fishkill

Been to The Swann Inn of Beacon? Share your experiences!