Roundhouse(Beacon)
$229
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $254/night.

$212
Hotels.com
  • Spa
Economy Inn(Newburgh)
$75
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from these sites
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 7, 2010

As the summer was on its last legs and with a busy fall at work right around the corner, I wanted to get away. With a little luck, I managed to book a room for two nights during Labor Day weekend with only about a week's notice at the Botsford Briar. I found it on the internet, having never before been to Beacon, a little escape I had planned because of hiking, kayaking, the Dia: Beacon, the boat to tour Bannerman Castle, and Main Street were all within walking distance.

I arrived quite early on Saturday via train and headed up to Main Street. I had a kayaking tour reservation and had planned to do that before checking in at Bostford Briar. However, when there was some miscommunication and the tour left without me, the folks at Mountain Top outdoor store called the proprietors of the Botsford Briar (yeah, it's that small of a town) to see if I could check in early. And all was well; they were happy to take me early. My room was ready and I headed over...and up the rather steep hill of High Street.

Charlie met me halfway up the hill and insisted on taking my bag the rest of the way. The house is charming and looks just as it does on the website photo. Inside, it's filled with curiosities on the first floor. I met Shirley there too. Throughout my stay, she and Charlie were wonderful. They took the time to try to find an alternate kayaking solution for me, suggested restaurants, went to the trouble of having my breakfast ready quite early on my last morning there since I had to leave before the normal time, etc.

I stayed in the Wisteria Room, which was lovely. The bed was comfy. There were a couple of chairs as well as a table with two dining chairs with bottles of water on a tray. In case it was needed, there was an AC unit. Lots of sunlight could come in through the generous windows (though you could pull curtains and shades too). Wifi was free. The TV wasn't a flat screen, but I didn't watch it so, who really cares? The room had wonderful charm and was clearly lovingly decorated.

The bathroom was a private one down the hall. However, they've thoughtfully added a curtain one can pull to really make that whole wing private (so you don't feel odd walking to the bathroom in your pajamas; nobody can see you). I loved the claw foot tub and had a nice soak each night. It was a large bathroom with nice towels and was meticulously clean.

I spent a good portion of both evenings watching the sunset on the beautiful shared deck out back. It's at the top of High Street and you can see down and across the Hudson River. It's beautiful and a wonderful quiet spot (or a place to chat with other guests, as I did the second evening). Also shared for the guests is a small room with a fridge, cupboard (thoughtfully stocked with glasses, wine glasses, corkscrews, etc.), and a single serving coffee maker for anything you wanted to make or store yourself.

Breakfast was quite generous. There was one freshly baked (and still warm!) item each day along with other breads, a fantastic fruit plate, juice, and coffee. The only thing I would have added would have been a hard boiled egg or something so that I could get in a little protein. But with what was provided, I really wasn't lacking at all in nourishment. It's brought to your room at your chosen time on a tray.

The location is great. It's easy walking distance to the train station, Dia: Beacon, boat launch, and Main Street. It's within walking distance of a trail head for hiking as well though you should know that it's a long hike in itself up Main Street to reach it.

I'm so glad I came to Botsford Briar to get away. It's so clear how much love (and personal talent/handiwork) Charlie and Shirley have put into the place. And they really take pride in making it a wonderful retreat. I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself back there again when weary of the city.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soubrettina
Reviewed July 12, 2009

My partner and I found the Botsford Briar, on a hilltop about a quarter mile from the Beacon Metro North station, the perfect place to escape from NYC. Crossing the threshold was a step back into a more relaxed and elegant time with all the modern conveniences. The view from the deck of sunset over the Hudson was breathtaking. The morning light was just as welcome with a hearty, fresh breakfast delivered to the room. In between there is the river front on one side and galleries, restaurants and shopping with friendly locals on the other. Can’t wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We were there for 3 nights in July 2009. Owners were very helpful -- gave tips on touring and restaurants. The first day there, we had a hard time leaving the 2nd floor deck -- the view was just spectacular. The B&B is at the top of a steep hill. Sitting on the porch had us at the top of the tree canopy -- at the same level as Chimney Swifts and numerous other birds.

There was plenty of fruit and a variety of breads for breakfast. We also got a hard boiled egg and yogurt.

The inside of the B&B is in great shape. The outside is a work in progress -- it is a huge, old building. You will see some peeling paint and some other aspects of the house that need work. This did not detract from our enjoyment of the place.

We already have reservations for our next stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EM G
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Botsford Briar for our anniversary. We took the train up from NYC (a short and beautiful hour and a half trip) and walked to the B&B from the train station (about 10 minutes, up a steep hill). The location was great, the owners were wonderful and the accommodations were just what we needed. We stayed in the Rose Room, which has a partial view of the Hudson out one of the windows. Breakfast is brought up to the room, which was an unexpected luxury.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Stayed in the spacious MAGNOLIA ROOM while in town for a wedding. A minute or so from downtown Beacon, this inn, tucked into the hillside of a residential area is a destination in itself, offering a clear view of the Hudson River below. While the layout includes easy access to the public deck via the private sun porch, the highlight of the accommodations is actually the well-appointed bathroom. Tastefully designed and furnished with modern functionality, there was no greater pleasure on-site than a hot shower with adequate water pressure at the end of a long day full of activity and then slipping into one of the two comfy sleeping arrangements. Perfect for a snoring spouse like me who was just getting over a sinus infection. That said, a space heater on the porch and a beverage refrigerator with complimentary drinks might've been nice too.[ROOMS-- 4.5 out of 5]
As far as innkeepers go, I've never seen such a strong integration of personal talents into the overall decor of a bed-and-breakfast. From the hand-sewn curtains and bedcovers, to the metalwork accents, one cannot help but take notice. When their remodeling and redecorating projects are completed, perhaps guests can have even more access to these highly talented and interesting hosts. Had they been dull people or uninterested in us as guests, I might've been put-out by having to ask that our shampoo and conditioner be refilled.
[SERVICE-- 4.25 out of 5]
Although fall was just around the corner, my wallet did feel a little light having to pay the full autumn leaf-changing price during our four-night stay.
[VALUE-- 3 out of 5]
Not particularly messy guests, we still found our room picked up in a consistent manner. Only when we drove to the back of the driveway did we feel we were on the perimeter of a construction site.
[CLEANLINESS-- 4 out of 5]
Continental breakfast delivered on a tray each morning to the room was a nice touch. It comes highly recommended to those who aren't really into bonding with other guests. The breakfast itself was fresh and balanced. Yet, if pursued, there is plenty of room to add to the overall value of a guest's stay with a couple hot selections featured in a rotation.
[DINING-- 3.25 out of 5]