“The food is excellent, the decor tasteful and the owner a delight”

SIAM Lotus Thai Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 141 Restaurants in Bay Shore
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brightwaters, NY
“The food is excellent, the decor tasteful and the owner a delight”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We have been eating at Siam Lotus since it opened and have never been disappointed. The pad thai is as good as any I've had, in fact, better than that in the Thailand restaurant recommended to us by the owner. When in season, the soft shelled crab is a treat and the sticky rice and mango dessert is the only non-chocolate dessert I think is worth eating. The prices are appropriate, and the owner is always on site and eager to please. A less expensive Bay Shore Thai restaurant has opened, but the food simply can't compete.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank mezesq

Babylon, New York
“Awful”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

As we sit here and read these favorable reviews after eating at this restaurant, we are stunned and in disbelief. We received a gift certificate to this restaurant for $75 as a Christmas gift last year. We had been to this restaurant a couple of times in the past, and never really enjoyed it, but decided to give it one more chance as it would be a free meal. This was the worst experience we've had thus far. We went all out as we had $75 to spend. Started with the thai dumplings which tasted old and microwaved. The meat smelled and tasted funny. We also had the calamari salad--the calamari was rubbery and tasteless, sitting on a bed of lettuce and onions. Then we had the tom ka gai soup-- horrendous. The broth was incredibly tart and tasteless, and the chicken had a soggy, chewy consistency. Then came the entrees--Chicken massaman and a beef noodle dish (?pad ku sen). Though the entrees were the best part of the meal, they did not compare to other thai restaurants we have been to. On a scale of 1-10, we would give them a 6. We have lived in NY, Queens and been to various locations on long island, and have had countless meals at other thai restaurants that blow this one away. We were just happy that we had a gift certificate! The owner was indeed very nice. The staff was friendly, but awkward. The decor is even worse than the food!!

• Visited December 2011
6 Thank genmcger
Long Island, NY
“If there's better..we have not found it”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We actually dine in Thai restaurants a lot as our daughter is vegan and it's very vegan friendly. (We are not vegans.) Most of those are in Manhattan. When dining Thai at home, Siam Lotus is our only choice. (We have tried a few others on Long Island over the years but none compare favorably and this tops all the differnet ones we have visited in NYC.) Owner is always friendly and gracious but it's the food that keeps us coming back. First, they will spice it up or down to fit any palate. Every dish we have ever tried has been great. It's the noticeable freshness to every ingredient that truly makes this place stand out from the rest. Price is moderate. Even if you need to travel from other parts of the Island to Bay Shore, this is a restaurant worth the trip.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank jvr13
Bellport, NY
“Mostly great, with a few inconsistencies”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I go here often, and have been for about 10 years. Overall, the food is amazing. My family and I celebrate birthdays here, and always have a wonderful meal. The food is always fresh and delish. However, my very last visit was not the best. The food was actually bad, as much as I hate to say it. I'm wondering if the regular chef was on vacation. Hopefully it was an isolated incident. The owner is very nice, as are all of the staff there. The place is impecibally clean. I dont think I've never eaten at a cleaner place. The prices are fair. Overall I'd say it's the best Thai food around. Despite the bad experience last time, I will definitely be back, and I still highly recommend it!

• Visited July 2011
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food at a decent price!”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I went here once with my wife after looking for a Thai restaurant late one night. We weren't disappointed, the place was quaint with a nice atmosphere, the price was decent for a Thai place, and the food was good. But it's not the best we ever had.
We ordered Pad Thai, Spicy noodles, and a Thai tea.
The Pad Thai tasted good but not awesome, and the Spicy noodles were not bad. The Thai Tea though was not the best. Nice portion sizes. We had a good time, and we did enjoy the food. One waitress was nice and the other was a bit cold.
We did have much better Pad Thai in Florida. But don't get me wrong, this place is a nice spot and the food is pretty fine.
They could have better Thai tea. Presentation was very nice.

1 Thank Sparrow22