“***CHECK YOUR BILL ALERT***”
Review of Aji 53

Aji 53
Ranked #10 of 141 Restaurants in Bay Shore
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Aji 53 used to be a quality restaurant, when they first opened. But now, it is just okay, and with chaotic service and incompetent management, and the highest priced sushi in Bay Shore, it isn't the best choice anymore.
You can't tell who your server is so when you order, you sit and wait and hope that you get what you ordered. We brought a party of 11 there for a birthday. I ordered 4 pieces of uni (sea urchin) sushi. When everyone got their order, mine didn't have those 4 pieces. Instead, the server said something about them not having uni. So, they waited until the dinner was served to tell me that.
I asked for the manager, who asked me what else I wanted. What I wanted was to be told when the order was put in that they didn't have uni so I could have made another selection. They just don't get it.
The sushi isn't as good as it used to be. With a number of other sushi restaurants in Bay Shore, there are better choices.
Back to my uni. After not getting it, as you may suspect from the title of this review, the bill had those 4 pieces on it. Of course they apologized, but this is just one example of a serious service and management issue. Aji 53 grew too fast and never grew their service skills. They are not the quality place they were and certainly the patrons appear to know that.
Find another place if you want to spend top dollar on sushi in Bay Shore.
And watch your wallet.

There are newer reviews for Aji 53

Reviewed June 1, 2013

made reservations 1 week ahead for party of 11 on Saturday night 6/1. Chaos from the first moment..we have dined there frequently and regularly and have found the experience to be poorer for past year. It is challenging enough to communicate, though the girls serving are hard working and very pleasant. General manager on staff is clueless and inattentive when issues arise. rush you in rush you out mentality. bring out entrees and advise didnt have any left to fulfill an order would you like something else an hour into the dining... also watch your bill carefully and they are trigger happy when itemizing orders, fulfilled or not. conversations to resolve require State Department discussions. party of 11, $80.00 per person and they treat you
like you order a bowl of noodles in Tokyo @2:00am.

No one on staff to facilitate the crowd ebb and flow to ensure a good experience...either too inexperienced or no authority to assist or too inept to communicate with the patrons... all they know how do do is sit you down and take your money..all else in between will be a random return on expectations. I will never go there again and someone from local government should check their operation for conformity with labor and health laws.

1  Thank sgoodtrade9
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Used Trip Advisor to find a restaurant in Bay Shore, NY. Aji 53 was on top of the list. They are not on open table for reservation but we walked right in a got table right away. Had some nice cocktails and Edamame which was very tasty, fresh and hot. Ordered several types of rolls and sushimi. All EXCELLENT. Very nice atmosphere and very pretty sushi bar. Would totally go revere again.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place is amazing. I am here all the time! The drinks are very good here and very strong. It can get very crowded on weekends, but you can always eat at the bar or grab a drink there. The salad with the ginger dressing and an appetizer called the grenade are my absolute favorite! Im not a big sushi fan, but my boyfriend LOVEs it here! I have tasted it a few times and I actually liked it and thats saying a lot bc as I said before not a big sushi fan. They have other great menu items such as hitatchi style dishes that are a great portion size. You dont have to be a sushi lover to enjoy this place. Great food, great service, nice atmosphere! Can get pricy but it is is all worth it. Service is great they really stay on top of things! Bottom line.. You must go. You will be back over and over and over again just like me :)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Aji 53 is on Main Street in Bay Shore but has the ambiance of a more posh city restaurant. The menu includes sushi, sashimi, steak and chicken dishes, soups, salads, and small plates. My husband and I are local and order takeout from here about once a week, but we have brought family here for special occasions to dine in. My husband loves everything on their sushi menu. I am a picky eater and don't really eat seafood, but have found several menu items that I absolutely love. The stir fried filet mignon is amazing-tender and flavorful, and their chicken and vegetable fried rice are weekend staples at our house. This restaurant is only slightly more expensive than the other local sushi places, but worth the price for the great food.