“We received a clean comfortable room at a great price”

Days Inn Bath Hammondsport
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I reserved this hotel as a last minute road trip to Letchworth, Stony Brook and Bully Hill. It was 4th of July weekend and it was one of the last available places we could get. With that in mind, I planned for the worst packing sleeping bags and lysol. I was glad to find I didn't need them. Our room was clean, comfortable and affordable. A/C worked fine, however the HBO was on the blink. We were invited to select from their DVD collection, but our room happened to be "one of the few" without a player. We decided to try the indoor pool. The water was heated and made the whole room hot and humid. Not enjoyable when the weather outside is just as bad. They did have free internet, so I caught up on my email. They advertise a free hot breakfast. They did provide pancakes, sausage and a waffle maker along with the other standard continental offerings which is served in the Sonora restaurant. I felt we got a good deal at $75 a night for a holiday weekend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 18, 2010

Stay started with incorrect room despite reservation. I had reserved a non-smoking room and the room I finally got was a smoking room. The room was plain dirty. There was no where to hang anything on a hanger.
Check out was a mess but the desk attendant was diligent in trying to sort it out.

I ended up sleeping in my clothes and will never stay there again

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
DaysInnBath, General Manager at Days Inn Bath Hammondsport, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2010

First, let me thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns, your feedback is essential to helping us improve the quality of stays to our guests. Very recently we have taken a great deal of time and additional training to ensure situations like this do not arise, and I would like to speak with you further about how we may remedy the situation. This is our first review since November, and we have made a great deal of improvements since then, and I would hate for an isolated situation to sour your view of our establishment. I hope you will take the time to respond to me, either through TripAdvisor or email me directly at nspeach@visions-hotels.com . I would like to show you the great things that are happening here.

Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stayed here during a business trip. The room was disgusting. There was a sticky goo all over the bedside table. There was mold on the wall and in the bathroom. The carpet was very dirty. The room stank of cigarette smoke so bad it hurt my nose, and I'm a smoker. The breakfast offered in the lobby was unappetizing and actually gross. My room was a very long walk from the lobby and the only good thing was that the front desk person helped me carry my baggage all the way to my room. I will never stay in a Days Inn again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
DaysInnBath, Manager at Days Inn Bath Hammondsport, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2010

I would like you to reconsider the Days Inn, Bath. I very much apologize for your experience and understand the disappointment. If you would be willing to stay with us again as my guest, I can show you first hand the improvements we are making daily. I will accommodate you in the same room and just ask you to review that stay as well. We are committed to showing our guests the service and quality that they deserve. Please feel free to contact me at any time - nspeach@visions-hotels.com.

Nick Speach
Days Inn, Bath

Reviewed November 13, 2009

Stayed at the Days Inn on 11/12/09, the rooms are much much better then the last time I stayed at this hotel, The front desk people were very very helpful. I asked them where was a good place to eat and there told me Sonora's Mexican Rest in the hotel ,,,,,,It was awesome. I would have to say that I feel the hotel is run alot better then it has ever been.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2009

The below letter I sent to Wyndham properties pretty much sums it up:

I would like to explain a very unpleasant stay in the Bath, N.Y. Days Inn. We booked a king non-smoking room for 10/9/09 - 10/11, checking out 10/12. We booked in January of 2009 with four other couples (for a total of five rooms) for a tour of area vineyards. On our arrival we were directed to room 423. The entire fourth floor smelled of cigarette smoke. We quickly found 423 was not designated as a non-smoking room and could immediately detect a heavy odor of cigarette smoke inside of the room. Along with the room the bed linens and towels in the bathroom smelled of cigarette smoke. I then observed the area around the heating / air conditioning unit had appeared to have extensive water damage (see "first room heater" 2 pics attached). The area was moldy and looked as if the walls around the unit were crumbling and the unit could fall out. Near this area above the ceiling was mold (see "first room ceiling mold" pic attached). The carpet appeared as if it hadn't been cleaned since someone walked around with sand on their feet.

My wife went directly to the front desk where the clerk advised us there were no other rooms. The clerk explained there was no manager on site for the weekend and was reduced to repeating "I'm sorry" but was not very helpful in providing any solutions. Another couple we arrived with learned they were not given and hot tub room as they had requested. We began checking other hotels for rooms as my wife and I both believed staying in 423 would more than likely result in unhealthy consequences. The room was that unsanitary. The front desk clerk continued to be of little helping, even having a hard time giving us directions to other nearby hotels, although she did look up numbers in the yellow pages for us. The young girl was obviously rattled as we weren't the only people with complaints, there seemed to be a steady stream at the front desk.

While checking on other accommodations we learned another couple in our group would not be arriving on Friday night. We were able the make arrangements to change rooms to 221. While 221 was not nearly as bad as 423 we found one bed had a missing head board and there were multiple stains in the bath tub (see "headboard - upgrade room" 2 pics attached and "tub stain upgrade room" 2 pics. There were also empty wall anchors in the shower I assume was for some sort of grab handle (see "shower anchors - upgrade room" attached pic. The next morning we learned the towel rack was barely attached to the bathroom wall (see "towel rack upgrade room"). We stayed in this room for Friday and Saturday night and cancelled our Sunday reservation. Other than the evening desk clerk saying she was sorry we received no further offers of apology or consideration. Sunday as we were checking out with the other couples we located what may have been a breakfast sausage or dog feces in the interior stairwell.

We did have the opportunity to look around one of the hot tub rooms another couple was staying in and found it to be acceptable, all though they were having a hard time with the climate control in their room and there appeared to be exposed wiring below the climate control unit.

In closing I can't believe Day's Inn allows a franchise of this low quality. I'm not a person who expects a five star experience out of a two star hotel but this property was substandard by any expectations. I can't believe the public is allowed to see these rooms, much less assigned to stay in them. I wish I had checked tripadvisor.com before booking there, because there are several accounts of dissatisfied customers from the Bath, N.Y. location. After this experience, I will not consider a Days Inn, anywhere, even for a stop over and I will have a hard time considering any Wyndham property. The only thing that may restore my faith in your company would be pulling the franchise from this property, however, based on the limited research I've done on the internet, this seems to be a company wide problem for Days Inn. I hope this complaint can start some sort of process so others won't have similar experiences.

*Not in the letter* If your staying in Bath check out the Old National near the village square. Clean basic rooms (still have push button TVs w/ channels 1-13) with a great old fashion bar. Its like walking through a time machine to 30+ years ago. If your going to Wine Country in general book at the Barristers B&B in Seneca Falls, near Cayuga Lake. I'll be writing an excellent review on them shortly.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We had traveled until we got tired and stopped at this hotel, not having researched this hotel of Trip Advisor. Big mistake because I know Trip Advisor to be a most useful and accurate resource, and had I read the reviews on this place I would have stayed elsewhere. As it was, were we not tired from a long ride, we would have gone elsewhere, because this place is even more tired than we were. Nothing is filthy, but nothing is really clean either. Everything is old, the dirt is not on the paint, it is so old it is in the paint. We did not see the vermin/bugs others have reported but I would believe it because cleanliness is not a high priority in this place. When we got up the next morning I said to my wife of 45 years: "This is the worst place we have stayed at in years... let's not make this mistake again."

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Wanted a pet friendly room. because we had our small dog with us, and a crib for our infant(9 months). They gave us a pack n play, which we had to bring up to the room ourselves, and assemble-not a big deal-but the lobby, elevator and hallways were filthy-like they had not been vacuumed in months-I mean, it was busy, and they were doing renovations on the top floor, but still...
Our room was ok, but not worth the $80 we paid, and the shower surround was filthy and most of the tiles were loose and damaged-also, the room smelled lightly of smoke-I guess if you have a pet=you like the smell of smoke. I would wait until the renovations are done, and maybe it will be ok,as long as they hire a new cleaning crew, but I had a peek at the renovations when I went to the only ice machine in the place-the top floor at the end of the hall-and I swear, it looked like they were installing used carpet!? This was just a rest stop for us on our way to the Boston area, but I think we should have waited until Corning, NY. Oh, and the
wi-fi wasn't working, but if you happened to be traveling with an artifact known as an ethernet cable, I was told you could plug in in their lobby.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bath
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bath
#3 of 4 in Bath
No photo provided
Old National Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bath

Been to Days Inn Bath Hammondsport? Share your experiences!