“Enjoyable lunch”
Review of The Black Boy

The Black Boy
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Oving
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable lunch”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Attended as one of a party - pre booked. Service was friendly and efficient, food good, and location lovely. Fantastic views.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Great Food Shame About The Ambience”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went on Saturday night at the last minute, and the fact that I was told they had no other reservations should have set the alarm bells ringing.

When we arrived there was a small group at the bar and only one table with two people in the restaurant, not a great sign at 20:30.

The greeting from staff however was friendly and the service very good. The menu was limited, 5 starters, 5 mains and 5 deserts, but it was excellently prepared and all 6 of us enjoyed our meals, I had devilled whitebait, followed by cajun chicken, both of which were delightfully spicy. For desert I shared a cheese board which was plentiful, though the blue cheese was not the best.

The wine list was OK we initially had an Argentinian Sauvignon Blanc it was only £16 but frankly wasn't worth that. For our 2nd bottle we went to New Zealand and the extra £4 was well worth it. The selection of beers was pretty good and well kept.

We picked the black boy as we have been there on and off over the years and usually enjoyed ourselves in what is normally a busy pub. We had been there in the summer and had mid afternoon beer in the garden and saw some fantastic food being served. So we went with great expectations. It was such a shame that the menu was so limited and that there was no atmosphere. The room was too brightly lit and table cloths would have improved the appearance. If you are wanting good food at a reasonable price then you should give this a try, but make sure your in a group, couples will be very disappointed. Let's hope the management can make the necessary changes to get the Black Boy back to it's old self.

1 Thank DaltonMikeD
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal, shame about the atmosphere”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went to the Black Boy in Oving on Saturday night. We were not sure what to expect so we were pleasently surprised. There was a good choice, plenty of it and it arrived hot to the table. Unfortunately, the atmopshere let the whole place down. In the restaurant the lighting was very bright, with uncovered light bulbs - one had even blown out and had not been replaced. The tables and chairs were old and scuffed and the whole dining area was sadly lacking in any form of ambiance what so ever part of it was even in darkness. This needs to be looked at. If it had been a bit more cosy and inviting (sanded pine tables, dimmed lighting, nice window dressings) we probably would have stayed a little bit longer. The food was great, so the restaurant should have been full, and I am guessing it is the lack of atmospher that puts people off in the evenings.

2 Thank SW17Girl
Wing, United Kingdom
“Difficult To Be Balanced”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

When reviewing a venue I go to great lengths to be as balanced as I possibly can but on this occasion it simply cannot be done.

The restaurant area area was empty and yet we were put on a table in a corner so we asked to be moved to the window where we can look at the wonderful view whilst eating. Our drinks order was taken and whilst we didn't specify a large bottle of water we really didn't expect a small bottle for one and two glasses!

My tiny lamb kofta's (all two of them!) were dry and when you cut into them they crumbled and at one point, one fell on the floor as it was too dry to stay on my fork! When it was collected they didn't even ask if there was anything wrong as I had left what had fallen on the floor

Our main course took the best part of three quarters of an hour to arrive. My duck was dry and tasted like liver and my partners Sole was "uninspiring". We weren't asked if we wanted any side order of vegetables and whilst we could have checked the menu for these items should that not be part of the service?

Finally the desserts arrived. My partner had the sticky toffee pudding and she had to cut off the top as it was burnt! My chocolate cheesecake was stodgy and I was only provided with a fork to eat it after I asked for one (I was given a spoon!)

The only good thing I can say is that the staff are very polite and very nice but could probably do with some better training. Never have I begrudged paying for a meal in whatever form that takes, but taking into account we had 1 bottle of wine and one small bottle of water, £65 is far too much to pay for this meal. Had I not been so annoyed by the appalling standard of food, I would have paid what I think it was worth, about £30, then left my details for the owners to sue me for the rest. We left the Black Boy very disappointed and whilst we may ave caught them on a bad day, we won't be going back and we certainly won't be recommending them.

As a final note, we were asked if everything was OK with our meal but when we said it was "just OK", they didn't ask why it was "just OK". Attention to detail is seriously lacking at the Black Boy, if you don't believe me look at the image I have attached and spot the deliberate mistake!

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank lazysheepmedia
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Hard to beat the view.....and the welcome.....”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I recently moved into the immediate area and was fortunate to discover this delightful and quaint little pub early one lunchtime......it's in a charming and picturesque village setting and about as pretty as a country pub could be......it's under new ownership I understand? and Lorraine and her son Liam along with "cousin" Kevin are as delightful as the pub itself......in fact all the staff are attentive, friendly, and helpful as can be.....if the weathers good opt for the immaculately tendered garden, you won't be disappointed......and it has to have one of the best views in Aylesbury....as for the food.....it's a simple fresh mix of starters and mains with all your favourites and then some.......plentiful portions and reasonably priced.....and their "side order" hand cut and cooked chips are as tasty and fluffy as anything I have yet to try.......they do get busy.....inside and out...especially on hot summer days....so be patient, relax, enjoy the views and await a delicious lunch with good friends or colleagues.....if the weathers up to it you won't want to rush anyway .......new to the area but already becoming a regular !

• Visited August 2013