“Great meal - Southern BBQ”

Center Street Smoke House
Ranked #19 of 79 Restaurants in Batavia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Buffalo, New York
“Great meal - Southern BBQ”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had a great BBQ dinner here. The sauces are great. Rotisserie chicken was great! Large selection of sides. Good selection and prices. Friendly service - waitress was great with our kids. Will definitely come back again.

• Visited February 2014

Rochester, New York
“Food just okay ... Nothing great.”
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Center Street Smokehouse, Batavia NY

We visited the Center Street Smokehouse, Batavia NY at about 5pm on a Friday evening. We were seated on the second floor balcony. The server brought out garlic rolls but they were in pieces, cold and served without butter.

We ordered BBQ ribs. My wife ordered 2 sides ... Tomato salad and baked sweet potato with maple butter. My two sides were sweet potato fries covered in maple butter and corn bread. Portions were fine.

My wife's sides were great. My sweet potato fries were soggy and barely lukewarm. The corn bread was dry and seemed over baked.

The server was friendly and initially prompt. But afterward the food was served she stood in the corner with two other servers talking for extended times (it was early Friday evening and the place hadn't got busy yet). I had to wave her down to ask for more napkins and a refill on my drink.

Bottom line ... BBQ ribs were good but not remarkable. Sides are a bit chancy. And I wish the server was a bit more attentive/responsive. Certainly not worth the drive from Rochester especially when we have great BBQ places in town.

Visited March 2014
Batavia, New York
“Lost it's luster!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I have been to this restaurant several times. I feel the quality of the meal has declined over the past year or two, and the restaurant is showing some wear, along for a need for a better policy of keeping it clean. We were seated at a table recently with a dirty table cloth. When we pointed it out to the hostess seating us, she exchanged it with one from another table, and placed the dirty one on that other table. A short while later, she sat another couple at that table. I have ordered the brisket and have found it to be very dry.

• Visited January 2014
New York
“Best Barbecue in Western NY”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

We made a visit to this place from Rochester,NY and we were so glad we did. Having Dinosaur BBQ and Sticky Lips in Roc I can honestly say they fall short next to this place. We utilized the Groupon Coupon which was a great deal. We got there right at 4 pm on a Sunday. When we arrived we were greeted wonderfully by staff and seated promptly. We ordered the 2 meat combo. I had the Ribs, which were juicy, tender and fall of the bones as well as the rotisserie chicken, yummy. For sides I had the dirty rice and pulled pork beans and they were great(which coming from me, is a lot to say as I am from PR and we make great rice and beans). My husband had the pulled pork and beef brisket which he enjoyed along with tatter tots and corn bread(out of this world delicious). We were also so pleased at the place as it is beautifully decorated old style and the bathrooms are both beautiful and clean. Also loved the old fashion phone booth. Our waitress was super nice and very attentive.

1 Thank Mom2711
Rochester, New York
1,952 restaurant reviews
“Very good BBQ in a wonderful setting”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We tried this restaurant because one of my fellow TripAdvisor friends recommended it as "the best BBQ in the area." (It is over a hour drive from our house.) And while I didn't agree with my friend's sentiment, I believe that was because I am used to a slightly different style of BBQ...I did recognize the fact that this was very good.

First of all, the restaurant itself has been completely redone; I'm told it used to be much more worn-down. But the inside, from the bar area to the main dining room to the balconies are very nicely adorned in Southern-style bar decorations that they must have brought in from across the country. I loved the two old-fashioned telephone booths in the main dining room (see my photographs below). One of our friends who dined with us tonight mentioned that there is outdoor seating in the summer, up on the roofs, with live music playing to the patrons. That might be worth coming back for that alone.

For my main course, I ordered a "two meat combo," for which I selected the pulled chicken and the ribs. It came with two sides, and I selected the cole slaw and the baked beans. Everything was pretty good, but I must admit that I didn't enjoy the ribs as much as some of the local places in our home town. They weren't really moist, and the meat was a bit tough to get off the bones. I also found that there wasn't a lot of meat on them compared to the ribs from my favorite BBQ restaurants. I don't want to say that they were bad; they just weren't the style that I like the most. Perhaps they were dry rubbed?

Anyway, I enjoyed the few ribs that I ate, and the pulled chicken was good too. My wife liked her crabcakes, and my daughter liked her chicken, so those were two more positive notes. We all loved their complimentary cheesy-cornbread rolls, which were delivered when we were seated. (They are REALLY tasty, but not to be eaten if you're on a diet.) The service was very good, and all other aspects of the place were up to par as well.

In summary, I would return to the Center Street Smokehouse, especially if I was already in Batavia, but I would not deem it worth a special drive to get out there. It's good, but I wouldn't call it "outstanding."

• Visited January 2014