“In agreement - worst campground ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barryville
Kittatinny Campgrounds
nyc
“In agreement - worst campground ever”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My complain in a nut shell

1. A mistake was made during phone reservation which took about 45 minutes long because I got a new girl in training.
2. Another mistake at check in with my campsite number
3. Yet another mistake at the "adventure check in" room/counter where they charged my account for deposit but incorrectly spelled my name for reservation
4. Aforementioned "adventure check in" had NO clear indication anywhere what procedures people waiting for certain activities should follow.
5. It should not take 15 minutes of politely waiting at the adventure check in counter to have someone behind me step forward instead and ask the very simple inquiry of what this counter was for as opposed to the window counter outside and if this was the adventure "check in" counter, and what was the procedure for check in.

6. Their were 2 other tents from the "start" sites parked on our site. why aren't their better separations for this? a picnic table on one side isn't too much to ask or figure out.
7. Fog horns, drunks and loose dogs at all hours of the day and night. ah, just what i hoped for in a nice camping trip. This campground should be sued for false advertisement.
8. I was also told that my site (KC-1008) had water and electric hook up. Of course, it did not.

9. Where are the riders indicating "premier/prime" campground site and that you had to book a water activity on top of that????

So many more complaints. I've been camping all my life and have travelled extensively. Hardly ami compelled to write a complaint about one issue. However, this trip has absolutely been one of those trips i bitterly regretted ever taking. I have never experienced any place worst than this.
Rest assured, I will be sure to post this on many blogs to get the word around.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank impartiality

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bridgeton, NJ
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stayed for the first time at the Barryville campsite in July 2010. I was familiar with the area as I have travelled through this part of NY plenty of times before. I have also camped many times, so it's not like I have never experienced a campground before.

Here's the good: I have to say that the campground scenery and layout, and the staff, while all high-school aged kids, were very nice. I liked the campstore, which was very well stocked. The pool was clean and could hold about 25 people comfortably. The "stocked trout stream" actually had plenty of brook trout in it, even during low warm water, so I was pleasantly surprised. Small streamer flies are the order of the day during July there, and work very well. The campsite is also within a short distance from the Delaware.

Here's the bad: The bathrooms were disgusting. Both my wife and I agree that this is the biggest downside to this site. Even though I witnessed a cleaning guy in the two bath houses I used at the campground, they looked just as dirty as if he was never there. Many of the toilets were out of order with yellow caution tape over them, and the showers were loaded with bugs and mosquitoes. The floors were consistantly muddy and wet. We camped at the far end of the campground, and had access to a little used bath house. Other reviewers have blamed the campers for the disgusting conditions, I found this wasn't the case. It's plain disregard for basic cleanliness by the campground staff. While I have seen/used worse and more primitive bathrooms in my life, these ranked up near the top of my disgusting list.

The lifeguard at the pool was a teenager who could have cared less about what anyone was doing. Several kids were running around and cannonballing into the shallow end (3 1/2 ft) and he did nothing to stop it.

The playground was a joke. It consisted of some outdated swings and pull-up bars that were inaccessible to anyone but the people immediately camping around it. There was no parking area, and it was too much of a hike from our campsite with my little son.

We arrived on a Thursday, and the place was almost empty. My family loved the quiet and peacefulness. On Friday that all changed, as carloads of beer guzzling partiers from NYC showed up. Our experience went from a nice relaxing getaway to the campsite from He** in a matter of hours. Next time, if we ever go back to this place (doubtful), I will stay during the early part of the week.

In the end, during our scheduled 2 night stay, we ended up leaving a day early. I don't recommend this place for anyone but single college guys/girls who want to party and drink, and don't have little kids.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank dwgnj
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I will start with the pros, which are few: the area is beautiful, Delaware River campsite spot was great.
Cons: We did come Memorial day weekend, so crowds should be expected, but this place was NOT prepared. We waited in line to check-in, to be told that we have to check-in elsewhere first, and then come back. Needless to say - this whole process took well over 1.5 hours. People in front of us had it worse off - computer glich = double booking and people without a spot.
When our reserved date for tubing came we got to the Adventure Center 15-20 min early. That was useless. They had a huge line again and we didn't get on a tube until 2:30PM, for our scheduled 1pm departure.
The people working there, although nice, were untrained (a few girls mentioned being hired last week) and terribly organized. Simple announcements would have made a lot of people happier.
Once we got on the tube, it was not worth the $30/person. It was slow for the most part - and not enough water - we hit some rock areas and I have a scratched up knee to show for it. It would have been helpful to have paddles to not get stuck on rocks or be pushed toward the shore, etc.
Although quiet hours were 11pm - 6am, they were NOT enforced. We had a group next to us that would play music very loudly til wee hours of the morning. On several occasions people from campsites near and far (the music was really loud) would come by and ask them to please keep it down - and they didn't and the camp staff never seemed to notice.
Overall - I would never go back to Kittattiny. There was a few other shining moments - when we found the Cedar Rapids bar/restaurant just a few hundred feet walking distance from Kittattiny. That and they sell these 'Mystical fire' packets which make your campfire turn blue and green - well worth $2.
Please note I had paid in full for everything in advance, and that was of no help...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LtMosquito
PA
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Camping was great, river was even better. Staff was so helpful. I will come here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The staff is very professional. You can’t have a radio on past 11:pm but it was no big deal, There were fire ring at each site and the showers all had lots of hot water.
I have been camping in this area for several years and have stayed at Kittatinny for the first time this year, it was by far the best experience. I will be coming back next year..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Montclair NJ
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I went to barryville with my wife and some friends for a nice reaxing camping trip. Well the site was very nice(right next to the trout stream) and rafting was great but the crazy partiers need to learn how to respect other people. Loud screaming and laughing well past midnight, blarring music and an air horn or two! Not what we were expecting. We made the best of it and had a fun time but no relaxing was to be had.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Whoababy1
cal216
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Unfortunately this campground is over run with people who have no respect for other campers or the grounds. Many of the campers seem to be city people who are not familiar with camping. Music blasted ALL NIGHT long. M80s blasted off all through the night. Disturbances during the night included crying, roaring laughter, car horns beeping and even bright headlights shining into our tent. Heavy drinking and partying all through the campground. People left garbage, food, etc. out all night. Bathrooms were the filthiest I have ever seen. They had a constant brown water level with hair on the floors. Showers were filthy and cold. Cleaning crew did a lousy job, but it is incredibly difficult cleaning up after people who dump garbage and even underwear on the floors. Don't even attempt to go near the pool. It is the size of a postage stamp and filthy too. Staff did nothing to control the noise or garbage. Bottom line is the staff just doesn't care. Delaware River was great for rafting, but do NOT camp here unless you are looking for an ALL NIGHT party.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank cal216
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barryville
Rodeway Inn
The Lodge at Woodloch
Catskill Mountains Resort
Catskill Mountains Resort
#2 of 5 in Barryville

Been to Kittatinny Campgrounds? Share your experiences!