“Bertie Wooster would approve (apart from reception staff)”
Review of Hartwell House

Hartwell House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartwell
London, United Kingdom
“Bertie Wooster would approve (apart from reception staff)”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Had an unexpected one night stay in one of their excellent (dog-friendly) courtyard suites. This place is an architectural gem - the main house is a Jacobean/ Georgian masterpiece complete with 20 foot high ceilings featuring rococo decoration. Stunning.

The hotel seems a bit of an afterthought by its owners - the National Trust - and is in some ways as antiquated as the location. Guests are welcomed to dinner by the charming 'Mr Critchley' and served by waiters in tailcoats. I really should have worn a tie!

I had a couple of classic dishes for dinner - pan fried foie gras and sole meunière accompanied by an excellent Meursault. I doubt Bertie Wooster himself has eaten better! Breakfast was served in the room by 2 footmen and was similarly excellent.

My only gripe is the reception staff who seem incapable of taking messages and passing them on, but I'll let it pass.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Arthur P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
Bucks
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Had a lovely stay at Hartwell House. Delicious and ample Sunday lunch, a little expensive but didn't need to eat for the rest of the day.
Service was good and attentive despite the fact that the restaurant was very busy.
We had an up-grade to a 'Royal' room, which was lovely.
Breakfast was excellent, freshly cooked rather than from a self-service hot buffet which has happened on more than one occasion in the past.
Only gets 4 'stars' because of lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gourmettraveller77
Aylesbury
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Visited the spa at this beautiful hotel in January for the aroma clear facial and wasn't disappointed. Highly recommend this treatment which was part machine, part hands-on and enjoyed 55 minutes of pure bliss with very noticeable results at the end, can't wait to visit again

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Waddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have stayed in Hartwell House at the front of the hotel in the past. The furnishings are antique and tasteful though not always sturdy. The rooms are large and there is an undeniable sense of relaxation. The only quibble I had about the room was that I wasn't warned about the room being tidied while I was at dinner.

The dining room is magnificent whether you are in the main room or small ante room. The service is friendly and unobtrusive yet expert. I've been coming here for years and though staff change, standards do not.

Anybody who expects food just shy of Michelin standard for £35 a head and says it's nothing to write home about clearly does not know their subject matter. The consistency of performance due to the head chef is exceptional. The accompanying photos don't do justice to a filling meal which didn't leave one feeling bloated.

Car parking is a short distance down a steep slope so elderly or disabled people should be dropped off first. There are 90 acres of beautiful grounds to explore or look at from the dining room or bedroom

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

We ate the tasting menu last Friday night (24/01/14) at Hartwell House. It was superb ,well balanced,perfectly seasoned and a delight to eat. We have been lucky to have eaten tasting menus at many michelin starred restaurants, and this one compares favourably.
The staff are country house attentive, by this I mean it is a little too relaxed at times,but I think that this is because it is slightly under staffed. However this did not detract from a lovely evening.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donna L
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Disappointing service experienced.
I was expecting much more.
Maybe Wednesday is not a good day to go there.
Seriously nothing to write home about other than the beautiful, sumptuous and lavished surroundings.
Thankfully I was in good company.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Went to Hartwell house on 3rd January 2014 for afternoon tea.
1. Car park some way from entrance no disabled parking.
2. Not a very friendly welcome
3. Quite cold with no atmosphere.
4. We were asked our name 3 times we then enquired if there was a problem answer no!!
5.very poor offering of sandwich fingers cheese,ham and salmon, pastries were fine but sparse.
We had to ask twice for more tea and then informed we were entitled to a free glass of bubbly, we were asked if we had a voucher to which I said yes it's in my car the waiter very unsure whether to believe us I suggested that when we went back to car I would pop back with it (it was pooring with rain.
When we had finished we got our coats and left no one to say goodbye nothing.
I returned with the voucher couldn't find anyone so left it with Receiptionist.
At about 21.00 that evening I had a phone call saying you left without paying your bill madam for afternoon tea.
I assured the person that my daughters had pre paid he then said he would look into it.
I did email the manager to say of my disappointment he replied to say that if I went back he would see that everything would be better thanks but NO THANKS

Stayed January 2014
4 Thank gozzy1946
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartwell
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
#3 of 6 in Aylesbury

Been to Hartwell House? Share your experiences!