“Another exquisite meal at Aylesbury's best kept scret”
Review of Hartwell House

Hartwell House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartwell
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have stayed in Hartwell House at the front of the hotel in the past. The furnishings are antique and tasteful though not always sturdy. The rooms are large and there is an undeniable sense of relaxation. The only quibble I had about the room was that I wasn't warned about the room being tidied while I was at dinner.

The dining room is magnificent whether you are in the main room or small ante room. The service is friendly and unobtrusive yet expert. I've been coming here for years and though staff change, standards do not.

Anybody who expects food just shy of Michelin standard for £35 a head and says it's nothing to write home about clearly does not know their subject matter. The consistency of performance due to the head chef is exceptional. The accompanying photos don't do justice to a filling meal which didn't leave one feeling bloated.

Car parking is a short distance down a steep slope so elderly or disabled people should be dropped off first. There are 90 acres of beautiful grounds to explore or look at from the dining room or bedroom

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We ate the tasting menu last Friday night (24/01/14) at Hartwell House. It was superb ,well balanced,perfectly seasoned and a delight to eat. We have been lucky to have eaten tasting menus at many michelin starred restaurants, and this one compares favourably.
The staff are country house attentive, by this I mean it is a little too relaxed at times,but I think that this is because it is slightly under staffed. However this did not detract from a lovely evening.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Donna L
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Disappointing service experienced.
I was expecting much more.
Maybe Wednesday is not a good day to go there.
Seriously nothing to write home about other than the beautiful, sumptuous and lavished surroundings.
Thankfully I was in good company.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Went to Hartwell house on 3rd January 2014 for afternoon tea.
1. Car park some way from entrance no disabled parking.
2. Not a very friendly welcome
3. Quite cold with no atmosphere.
4. We were asked our name 3 times we then enquired if there was a problem answer no!!
5.very poor offering of sandwich fingers cheese,ham and salmon, pastries were fine but sparse.
We had to ask twice for more tea and then informed we were entitled to a free glass of bubbly, we were asked if we had a voucher to which I said yes it's in my car the waiter very unsure whether to believe us I suggested that when we went back to car I would pop back with it (it was pooring with rain.
When we had finished we got our coats and left no one to say goodbye nothing.
I returned with the voucher couldn't find anyone so left it with Receiptionist.
At about 21.00 that evening I had a phone call saying you left without paying your bill madam for afternoon tea.
I assured the person that my daughters had pre paid he then said he would look into it.
I did email the manager to say of my disappointment he replied to say that if I went back he would see that everything would be better thanks but NO THANKS

Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank gozzy1946
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Excellent staff in a well run sophisticated hotel. Our room was comfortable and well equipped. The communal parts are luxurious and the food was excellent. If they could have stopped the rain and wind, the break would have been impeccable. They didn't so I can only rate it as superb!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen366
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at Hartwell House on 20 December to celebrate my husband's birthday. From the moment we arrived, I cannot fault the service we received. The staff were helpful, courteous and polite. Our room was amazing (we were upgraded on arrival). We were served pre-dinner drinks in one of the lovely lounges, followed by a superb meal. There was a slight delay in receiving the first course, for which we received an apology, but the food was certainly worth the wait. I would not hesitate to recommend Hartwell House as somewhere special to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

At a friend's 70th birthday party recently, we found a combination of wonderful surroundings, excellent champange and canapes reception, a meal that was perfection at every course, all accompanied by impeccable service from the moment we were greeted at the front door.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartwell
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 2 in Taplow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
De Vere Oxford Thames

Been to Hartwell House? Share your experiences!