“Always a Special Occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hartwell House

Hartwell House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartwell
Tring
“Always a Special Occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We never tire of entering this wonderful old building. The ambience in the great hall is reminiscent of a bygone age. The immaculate service from the moment you are greeted to the moment you leave is always a joy. The restaurant is as good as ever and this is always our first choice for a special celebration dinner. It is by far and away the best place in the area for such an occasion.

Our only disappointment is that, since the National Trust have owned it, they have relaxed the dress code for gentlemen which was always politely pointed out to be a jacket and tie. Although the restaurant standards are still very high, it is a disappointment to see some diners sitting there in jeans with shirts outside their belts. Without sounding too " Victor Meldrew" about it, it lowers the tone! and detracts from the sense of occasion they seek to create.

1 Thank Bill2Liz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

A special occasion meal. Fantastic food but, oh my Lord, the bill! A special evening but your wallet will take a battering! The grounds are spectacular, the food is exquisite, the service is professional and a mix of Slavic and French, and none the worse for it. These guys take service seriously.

Stayed August 2013
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I last had tea here in march this year and have just returned from my second visit. I have to say Hartwell have upped their game since being rather disappointed last time. the cakes, instead of being of a rustic nature, more suited to a garden centre tea, were this time varied and delicious, fruit tartlets and choux swans. more what I would expect , so I was pleasantly surprised.
However, the service needs improvement, not very attentive and I do not expect to have to hunt for a member of staff to bring us the bill and then cant find anyone and had to go to the reception to pay. not very impressive. I expect to do this in a café, not a 5 star establishment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sikipoo
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

When writing a hotel review its hard to compare a three star hotel on the beach in Italy with a 5 star luxury hotel in Oxfordshire. So what did we think of hartwell. Imposing historic building owned by the national trust. set in its own grounds with a luxury spa. Rooms are either in the main house or a converted stable block 4-500 yards from the main house.

We stayed in the stable block adjoining the spa, it was wet and miserable so we checked in and then drove the car to the rooms. The room was large and well equipped but decorated to appeal to my 80 year old parents. With its small windows and low ceiling despite the size it felt distinctly claustrophobic.

Generally we thought that the whole place was more historic house rather than quality hotel.

The fact we were in a separate block meant a walk in the rain to access any services - no brollies. Despite a cobbled car park outside the rooms you have to park the far end of the building which was a trail with 3 bags.

I think this just about sums the place up - a hotel chain would have made use of this cobbled area, national trust cordon it off. There were notices everywhere don't put hot cups here, don't use these curtains etc.

Main bug bear with the room was that there was no hot water on Sunday morning when we tried to get a shower or bath.

We had been to Blenheim horse trials, and at about five to ten fancied s snack, full room service was no longer available but they listed a small selection of sandwiches. we rang at ten and asked if they could make sandwich on a breadcake - answer was a frosty no - not I ll check or we could do .... Yet the kitchens were clearly open and they offered burgers on the menu!

Following morning we went to tge spa for a late breakfast - advertised in the room to commence ar 9. but on arrival at 9, a waitress pointed out no breakfast till 9 15. so we walked to the main house where we ordered toast and coffee with a cooked breakfast, the breakfast turned up 15 minutes later followed by the coffee and toast bizarre.

Small things but at the price we have had much better

All in all we didn't think it compared (other than in price) to other luxury house hotels we have stayed at.

Room Tip: Stay in main house
2 Thank kevincharles3995
Hartwell, Manager at Hartwell House, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
This guest has described Hartwell House properly- it is both an historic house belonging to the National Trust, and a first class hotel in Buckinghamshire.
The seperate "block" referred to is in part the converted stable by the most distinguished early 18th Century architect James Gibbs.
Apologies about the water pump timer failure, and we shall carefully consider the helpful suggestion of more benches in the court yard.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Wow! What a house. I felt like I was on the set of Downton Abbey. The house is stunning, the grounds are beautiful and to top this off they have a lovely little spa that is a few minutes walk from the main house.

My husband and I visited Hartwell House in August and took advantage of their 40% off sale. I requested a room in the main building and am really glad I did. Our room was gorgeous. It had tall ceilings with beautiful furnishings and I felt like I had gone back 100 years in time. The room also had a lovely view of the grounds. (I would strongly recommend that you book a room in the main house. They have rooms in a second building which is a few minutes walk away and I do think you really miss out when the stunning sitting rooms aren’t right at hand…especially in winter if you have to traipse back and forth from the other building to the main building in the cold).

The sitting rooms on the ground level are beautiful. We had booked their afternoon tea (tea and scones only) for £12 and it was served in one of their lovely sitting rooms. We were each served a pot of tea and 2 small scones (which was plenty). The scones were delicious, and the clotted cream and jam served with them were perfect. At £24 for the two of us, it was well worth the money.

They also have a nice little spa there. We went there a couple of times and I think the lounge chairs there are probably the most comfortable lounge chairs I have ever sat on. I almost dozed off on one of them. The outdoor hot tub is very nice, as is the jacuzzi (which is a part of the pool). My one criticism is that the shower area is really dark. I thought someone had turned off the light switch in the area then realised that’s just the way the area is lit (or not lit?). To be honest, I found it quite odd. However, all in all, I really loved the time I spent in their spa and their body wash products are gorgeous.

We stayed on a Saturday night and they had a pianist playing in the central area on the ground level ‘til about 11:00pm which I thought was a nice touch. You should be aware, though, that you can hear the piano playing in your rooms, so take this into account if you decide to make an early night of it.

Overall, we had a great stay at Hartwell House. The one area where I feel they can improve is with their customer service. We found it to be spotty and inconsistent (with the exception of the front desk which was excellent from the moment we booked the room to the moment we checked out).

All in all though, we had a great stay and would definitely recommend Hartwell House to family and friends.

Room Tip: Book a room in the main house.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I have always truly enjoyed coming to Hartwell House and by all means still do. The dinning is excellent, the location beautiful and the ambiance of the hotel itself warm and welcome whilst at the time making its guests feel special and spoilt. We have also enjoyed many spa treatments and found the Main Spa Receptionist / Reception manager (Heather) to be capable and efficient and knows her regulars and makes them welcome. The spa staff are friendly and our experience with Lisa has encourage us to recommend people to the spa for massages and treatments, She is keen enthusiastic and knows her products and enjoys her work. Whilst I want to say thank you for all the wonderul experiences we have and for the great people friendliness of management and staff - I do have to share one dissapointment that I learned from a friend who had booked for a large group in the main house to celebrate their birthday. There was some confusion and the young manager at the time, sadly I do not know hs name but I know it was not Shaun who I have only ever heard recommended by friends who have had dealings with him as a thoroughly pleasant and engaging gentleman, but his young manger rather than take any responsibiltiy over the booking and dealing with it graciously and maturely was rude and acutally caused my friend to separate themself from their guests and take themselvs somewhere private to recover from the rudeness, The throught of corssing paths with this young manager again has caused them not to want to book Hartwell for future celebrations. I would say, please do, It is beautiful, the staff have ALWAYS been friendly and I have never had a bad experience, I am just sorry that htis is the story my friend has taken away, although I do believe once resolved they had a wonderful meal, It was just spoilt by rudeness from an inexperienced manager, This was not recent, so I hope that perhaps the management has changed since then for the better and more pleasant. Thank you hartwell for your lovely spa, spa cafe, great treatments worth every penny, great restaurante and by and large, very capable "older" management. I recommend Hartwell despite my friends unfortunate experience which embarassed me as I had recommended Hartweel then,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Catheine T
Stone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We booked Hartwell for our wedding reception venue and stayed overnight. Not only was the location beautiful and elegant inside and out but the customer service and attention was second to none. Staff were friendly and nothing was too much. We were made to feel very special which I believe despite this being our wedding day would have been the case.
I strongly recommend this hotel for both a stay and as a wedding venue...you won't be disappointed. I felt like I was in an episode of Downton Abbey...upstairs of course!

Note> prices here remain the same there is no extra cost for 'weddings' that some establishments can charge

Room Tip: we were upgraded to a superior room ( we only figured this out later) which was truly special.As wit...
1 Thank lorraine w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartwell
Five Arrows Hotel
De Vere Horwood Estate
#1 of 1 in Little Horwood
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,274 reviews
Premier Inn Aylesbury Hotel

Been to Hartwell House? Share your experiences!